Charlotte Weather

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Path of F1 Tornado that hit east Charlotte and Harrisburg yesterday.  Brad Panovich made this map and it was a little too close for comfort for me (and probably @J-Rob I think) 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=149B2hSjZjRJ0jKAlgoQSOWi1ad9iPhcv&fbclid=IwAR2nr-GScvcfesdMqBi7siyxKPO4xcGNDQ5F3GwNxAwRF9tyZldDDKAd9K4&ll=35.2903337688554%2C-80.66518821435545&z=14

thankfully there were no injuries or worse just property damage. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile while we enjoyed near perfect weather today for this time of year sunny and low humidity further south in Miami Dade and Broward they had 11 inches of rain in 24  hours.

Schools of fish in a parking garage,  dogs surfing,  Corvettes driving through floodwaters.  News 7 of Miami compiles it all

https://wsvn.com/entertainment/surfing-dog-school-of-fish-in-parking-garage-among-outlandish-videos-shot-in-wake-of-downpours/

In just 24 hours 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My greenways will go under water!  Just light rain at my house. 

I swear in the last few years there is always more rain falling in the heart of Charlotte I guess the urban heat island than surrounding counties. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

we are really seeing the effects of urban heat island of Charlotte.  It is just amazing heaviest rains here of late all fall on the center city. 

And here we go again!  For the 5th time this week, I'm about to get poured on here in SE Charlotte.  Meanwhile, my drought-stricken parent's near Lenoir haven't seen any rain all week.  Summertime storms are not big on spreading the wealth.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Brad Panovich Meteorologist 

""It's increasingly likely #Charlotte will have its first snowless Oct-May on record(1878-2023). Only 18 times in 145 years have we seen snow after this date. The current snow drought sits at 412 days, the 14th longest on record. #cltwx""

But I would add some of the coldest weather before Christmas in 10 years or so.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

from Brad Panovich

While we did have a snowless winter in #Charlotte this year, it was not the 1st on record. It has actually happened 2 other times. The record we are on the verge of breaking is the first snowless Fall, Winter, and Spring season. In Charlotte, we have seen snow as early as October 31st in 1887, and as late as April 28th in1928. So if we get past April 28th with no snow it will be the first time in Charlotte's recorded history that has happened. 1878-2023. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not weather but since we don't have an earthquake thread I will put it here:

did you feel it?  (from Brad Panovich) 

It was very shallow and still could end up being a quarry blast or something else, but it registered as a M 2.1 #Earthquake at 5:56:05 am ET. Pretty much on the surface for a depth. #Pineville #Quake #wcnc #cltwx #ncwx #scwx

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not weather but since we don't have an earthquake thread I will put it here:

did you feel it?  (from Brad Panovich) 

It was very shallow and still could end up being a quarry blast or something else, but it registered as a M 2.1 #Earthquake at 5:56:05 am ET. Pretty much on the surface for a depth. #Pineville #Quake #wcnc #cltwx #ncwx #scwx

No didn't feel. That's very small. 

• Thanks 1