Charlotte Weather

What a crappy winter. According to wunderground stats, we're at 17 consecutive days without reaching the average high temp. That matches the streak from Dec 28-Jan 13. And Dec 4-Dec 22 was 17 out of 19 days below the average high.

Worse, 10 of the last 17 days have been DOUBLE DIGITS below the normal high.

The weather.com 10-day forecast doesn't have us hitting our average high.

Depressing.

Edited by grodney

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

June has been absurdly hot! I was out with my dog last night around 11pm and was breaking a sweat just sitting on the front porch. I may get a few groans, but I'm already missing winter. You can only take off so much before someone might complain (not that anyone would :rolleyes: ). On a side note, I was checking the water temperatures off the coast and they're already pushing the mid-80's! I don't remember water temps being that warm this early in the season. Those temps are more typical of late August or early September.

June has been absurdly hot! I was out with my dog last night around 11pm and was breaking a sweat just sitting on the front porch. I may get a few groans, but I'm already missing winter. You can only take off so much before someone might complain (not that anyone would :rolleyes: ). On a side note, I was checking the water temperatures off the coast and they're already pushing the mid-80's! I don't remember water temps being that warm this early in the season. Those temps are more typical of late August or early September.

LORD YES! God... I hated this winter...

I haven't been watching the weather lately, but I have been saying it felt super hot these past few days. I'm glad to know it wasn't just in my head.

Funny how the years blend together and the memories fade -- this was only 3 years ago, and I don't even remember it:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCLT/2007/8/1/CustomHistory.html?dayend=31&monthend=8&yearend=2007&req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Scroll down and look at the daily highs. Every day in August at 90+, including 20(!) days at 95+. Plus the last day in July, for a total of 32 consecutive 90+ days.

But this streak is still pretty abnormal. According to this article:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/23932751/detail.html

"The last time the Charlotte area saw a six-day stretch of temperatures in the 90s during June was in 2000. In the second half of June 1998, temperatures stayed in the 90s for 17 straight days."

• 3 weeks later...

So am I still the only one wishing winter would make a quick return? If the heat doesn't get you, then the dirty air just might :sick:. The upshot to all these desert-like conditions is that my grass is dead and I no longer have to mow the lawn! :good:

Give me frigid, snowy delightful January weather any day over just one month of July weather. Cold is invigorating, exciting. Heat is oppressive, disgusting, sweaty, and nonproductive. I despise hot weather.

:good: Alright, I have a supporter! I'm not saying I need frigid temperatures, but 40 something sure sounds nice right now. I can never wear nice clothes in this weather because you start sweating the moment you step out the door. My last job is probably what turned me into a cold weather fan. Working outdoors when it is cold (at least our version of it) is so much nicer than when it's hot and humid. Another negative to summer is the haze. Visibility was very poor today because of all the haze/smog in the air...yuk!

Edited by abttown

• 1 month later...

I grabbed 5.5 years of data off weatherunderground.com, and threw it into a database, just for some "in recent memory" stats.

Tried to post a table -- it didn't work.

# of Days at 95+

Year Days

2005 6

2006 7

2007 23

2008 14

2009 4

2010 23 so far

# of Days at 90+

Year Days

2005 41

2006 36

2007 76

2008 45

2009 28

2010 53 so far

Edited by grodney

I kept saying last winter sucked. These stats make me say "Wow, last winter sucked!". They're so out-of-whack it makes me think my queries are wrong.

winter.jpg

Knowing we can get around 30 days of 60+ high temps in Dec-Feb really warms my cockles, and gives me hope this winter won't be as bad.

Edited by grodney

I was wondering about this very thing the other day. I remember how the winter and summer of '93 were both pretty horrendous and was curious if there was some sort of correlation. I guess Mother Nature is trying to make up for all the below-average temperatures we had this winter. Whatever the reason, I could really go for some global COOLING right about now!

Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly ok with the weather. 95F doesn't bother me. It feels like a typical summer to me. I'm actually enjoying the heat.

I'm a person who rather be hot than cold. And after last winter :blush: I could lie out in the Saudi Arabian desert and still not get over the chilly-ness of last winter.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Give me 10 months of bitter cold and snowy over two months of 95 and humid, anyday! Hot weather is for the birds. Yuck.

I can recommend lots of nice places in Iowa or Nebraska. Although it sounds like your tastes are even further north than that.

LOVE the hot. HATE the cold. That's why I moved here.

I thought that the heat here was horrible, but I went to Oklahoma City this week and realized that we don't have it that bad. Heat index of 118 there...MISERABLE! I was actually happy to come home to the temps that we have. That being said, I have readjusted tonight and the heat, though 15 degrees cooler than OKC, is pretty unbearable. Come on Autumn! I cannot wait until I can spend a night out at the Common Market patio without feeling like dying from heat exhaustion.