Charlotte Weather

Well this round has the extraordinary pain of a solid day of rain washing away 90% of the city's prep work.  I must commend Charlotte's effort so far this year in response to the weather, especially compared to Atlanta two weeks ago.  This storm will be a different beast than the last for sure.  With a lot of the salt washed away and a full day of near freezing rain, the ground is going to be supple landing for ice and snow this time around.

But I'm usually skeptical about the actual turn out of winter weather for Charlotte proper.  This time is no different.  IMO, the post-rain freezes are going cause the actual issues.

The band of ice from Atlanta through to Augusta and up to Raleigh is by all means going to be catastrophic. More than an inch of ice would (and was) devastating for Quebec and Ontario in the late 90's when we got hit badly with it. And I'd argue we were far better equipped to deal with the conditions. My house lost power for 3 days. I cannot stress how badly people in those areas need to stay off the roads. I'll take 2 feet of snow over an inch of ice, any day.

I understand people arent used to snow down here (being from Cleveland it is HILARIOUS to watch everyone freak out), but I just got back from the grocery store and there is a run on bread and water.....c'mon people, I am pretty sure when the snow melts and its 50 degrees in 2 days we will all be fine.

I understand people arent used to snow down here (being from Cleveland it is HILARIOUS to watch everyone freak out), but I just got back from the grocery store and there is a run on bread and water.....c'mon people, I am pretty sure when the snow melts and its 50 degrees in 2 days we will all be fine.

I actually did want to go get some bread for a specific meal, but didn't want to be one of those people, haha. But considering we might end up with widespread power outages before this is over (and we are not the fastest at getting the lines fixed), I can understand it this time. 

Edited by nonillogical

People are being forced to abandon cars along 277, Independence, and 77 now. A looot of hubris out there to ignore every dire warning we've gotten about this storm. Its gone down pretty much exactly like they predicted so far and is only going to get worse into tomorrow morning. 

On a related note, I know some Wells Fargo employees who got a rather aggressive email saying that they would determine when conditions are too dangerous to drive in and that they expect everyone to work today! Unbelievable. 

Guess the road crews are spread thin, southern 485 was in rough shape going home 5-6pm

Edit to add: Despite the road condition, I made it home faster than typical Wednesday gridlock. So really, I'd take this snow anytime if it kept so many people off the road!

Edited by melk

Drive in to work today was ok once on 485.

Fairly clear to the 77 split. Biggest challenge is making the transition into a new path as the plowing creates a barrier. Largest chance to slide. Did alright despite fairly bald tires and RWD.

Exit 4 was too foreboding (unplowed, 2 stuck cars, incline slope) so I went all the way up to 85 N and turned around on Freedom, circled back and took exit 4 from the opposite direction.