Trump

mlurye

I find it amazing that Downtown Parking Systems has poured cement and built a self pay stand in the middle of the lot where the tower is to be built. I pulled into the lot the other day to ask them about it. They told me the (contract with the lot) has been extended until the end of the year, possibly longer. I even called the sales number for the tower. They (NOW) will not speak of any groundbreaking time frame. I even managed to get someone in sales over the phone to say that financing for the tower is not even there yet. That would explain why Downtown Parking has built a self pay booth. First, groundbreaking was to be the first quarter of the year, then June, then September, now this. I guess we just tune in sometime in 2008 to find out if Trump Tower becomes a reality.

Note* I merged this post into the existing Trump Tower thread. -NCB

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it amazing that Downtown Parking Systems has poured cement and built a self pay stand in the middle of the lot where the tower is to be built. I pulled into the lot the other day to ask them about it. They told me the (contract with the lot) has been extended until the end of the year, possibly longer. I even called the sales number for the tower. They (NOW) will not speak of any groundbreaking time frame. I even managed to get someone in sales over the phone to say that financing for the tower is not even there yet. That would explain why Downtown Parking has built a self pay booth. First, groundbreaking was to be the first quarter of the year, then June, then September, now this. I guess we just tune in sometime in 2008 to find out if Trump Tower becomes a reality.

Note* I merged this post into the existing Trump Tower thread. -NCB

The person on the telephone told me that groundbreaking was pushed back to January and advised that a large number of units had presold. She also told me that financing was in place.

The person on the telephone told me that groundbreaking was pushed back to January and advised that a large number of units had presold. She also told me that financing was in place.

I would almost bet two paychecks that when January rolls around, we will be hearing that groundbreaking is being pushed back again. I went out to dinner tonight with my neighbor Kenneth who told me there seems to be a problem now with the state concerning the tower. He would not give me any details about this or who told him. But Kenneth owns his own development company. He buys property and turns it over within a year after he has renovated it. Kenneth knows many developers in the city and he said his sources are credible. He did say his source comes within City Planning!

I would almost bet two paychecks that when January rolls around, we will be hearing that groundbreaking is being pushed back again. I went out to dinner tonight with my neighbor Kenneth who told me there seems to be a problem now with the state concerning the tower. He would not give me any details about this or who told him. But Kenneth owns his own development company. He buys property and turns it over within a year after he has renovated it. Kenneth knows many developers in the city and he said his sources are credible. He did say his source comes within City Planning!

I don't doubt that some people think there are problems with this project. There probably are. I wouldn't bet against you on another delay. However, Donald Trump's son is out there touting this project, and I doubt he's be making personal appearances in favor of the project if he did not believe it would go forward.

The following is my understanding:

1. Condo documents are being finalized by lawyers.

2. Sales office will open within sixty days.

3. Stacy Head's office has been in touch with the developer, and the develop has said that all is "a go."

4. Supposedly, there was a meeting in Chicago a few weeks ago. The Chicago meeting was supposedly one of those "critical point" meetings. After the meeting, sales office reps were singing the same song: Yes, it has been going slowly, but you're about to see a significant increase in activity.

I don't understand why the state would be concerned about this project. To my knowledge, the developers have decided that this project would not qualify for much GO ZONE funding because a great deal of it is considered passive business, which does not meet qualifications.

Only time will tell whether this thing gets off of the ground. Untimately, I think it will. The market has not turned enough yet. From the beginning, this project has suffered a big disadvantage. The project is being developed, in large part, by "outsiders." Prejudice against outsiders is what has kept this city down to begin with. Outsiders simply need not apply.

The city needs this building. It will be a symbol of rebirth, should it be constructed. Even though part of me is very doubtful, I am choosing to remain optimistic. When the parking lot closes and the cranes arrive, we can all pop the champaign corks.

That's good stuff JPK :thumbsup: Keep the Faith and remain optimistic! Eventhough the delays are very frustrating!(believe me I know about delays) This tower would be iconic for the rebirth for the city; not to mention Louisiana's New Tallest. As long as it's still a "Go"!

$Sticker $Shock may have come into play; original construction cost have increased so dramatically it's causing many projects to be reworked/or delayed or not happening at all. The fact is steel was already expensive; Katrina jacked build materials thru the roof even more all across the Gulf South. And it's ashame these projects are not as easy to pull-off as they used to be. Slow and right is better than fast and wrong.

That's good stuff JPK :thumbsup: Keep the Faith and remain optimistic! Eventhough the delays are very frustrating!(believe me I know about delays) This tower would be iconic for the rebirth for the city; not to mention Louisiana's New Tallest. As long as it's still a "Go"!

$Sticker $Shock may have come into play; original construction cost have increased so dramatically it's causing many projects to be reworked/or delayed or not happening at all. The fact is steel was already expensive; Katrina jacked build materials thru the roof even more all across the Gulf South. And it's ashame these projects are not as easy to pull-off as they used to be. Slow and right is better than fast and wrong.

I want Trump Tower as much as anyone else does. I'm a manager in the hotel industry. It will be another great property to bring people to New Orleans. I will say this though. Trump Magazine has not had any picture of the tower this year in its two issues. The magazine comes out with its last issue of the year in two weeks. The magazine has had pictures of (all) of Trump's other projects in the (two) issues so far this year. If there is NO article or picture in THIS COMING ISSUE about this project, then I will start wondering what's going on!! I know this..... If they have started a national sales bliss, then we should see a colorfull picture of (Trump Tower) in (Trump Magazine) coming up in two weeks.

What hotel are you with? I'm in the hotel business too. As far as the Trump Tower is concerned, I think it's ugly, but I still think it would be an important symbol of recovery for New Orleans. Trump appears to be in retraction mode, having withdrawn from projects in Mississippi and Charlotte recently. I still think this one will go through- eventually.

What hotel are you with? I'm in the hotel business too. As far as the Trump Tower is concerned, I think it's ugly, but I still think it would be an important symbol of recovery for New Orleans. Trump appears to be in retraction mode, having withdrawn from projects in Mississippi and Charlotte recently. I still think this one will go through- eventually.

Don't be so quick to scuttle the Charlotte project. All that happened was Trump pulled an offer to another land owner which would give him complete control of a square city block. The local rag's poorly researched headline about this led to insiders on the project coming out Monday to say the project is still a "go." Look for some news by the end of October. People in "the know" (supposedly) are saying this will be a stunning project.

Mr Mowe was quoted in a recent article that this thing is indeed a go. His claim was that "hundreds" of reservations have been taken. Perhaps the reason that not much marketing and sales activity has been noticed is because it isn't needed. Wouldn't that be something?

Also, Dr. Blakely said on the radio that groundbreaking WILL occur in January. Let's hope it happens.

When did Dr. Blakely make this statement? I had not heard this.

It was on Kaare Johnson's show on 690am. Not sure of the exact date, but it was last week. Kaare kept pushing him to give specific projects relating to his "you'll see cranes over New Orleans" comment he keeps making. He mentioned the Trump project twice. Can we believe Dr. Blakeley? I guess we'll know in January.

• 1 month later...

What is the latest news on Trump? Has their sales center opened? I would like to go and see it...

Welcome, New2NO. I don't know if the sales center is officially open yet, but a friend of mine who works on the 25th floor of the Pan Am Life Building told me today that the Trump folks had moved into their offices. This is very positive news.

By the way, it appears that the Trump organization is finally starting to advertise for the New Orleans project. Several news releases have been issued regarding the Trump Hotel Collection. The New Orleans project is in the list of future hotels. Trump Hotel Collection story

Archived