Hartsfield Airport

augga706

• 1 month later...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Augusta might be inching closer & closer to atlanta's 2nd airport.

Augusta Regional Airport announced Thursday that U.S. Airways Express is adding two daily jet flights from Augusta to Charlotte, N.C., according to an airport news release.

I had to take a relative to the aiport last week. Right now it is a mess because so much construction is going on, but when its done it will make augusta look like a major city.

[edit] Do not paste articles on this site, and please remember to include links to your sources. Thanks.

wrdw & augusta chronicle had articles on it.

I dont know if augusta regional would be international or regional airport.

Would it lure columbia citizens good question. With my relative going to newyork the diffrence btw augusta & columbia was about a 30 to 40 dollars. Construction is happening at augusta regional, theyre adding flights, & the price is already close. When i go to columbia's airport i dont see any construction going on like augusta.

Pics of Augusta Regional

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

01-04-06-3.JPG

const6.jpg

03-24-06.jpg

• 1 month later...

40,000 more passengers in 07(still got holiday season left) compared to 06. The terminal isn't done yet and 2 new airlines this is great for augusta. They said atlanta has up to a year to decide

[edit] Do not paste articles on this site, and please remember to include links to your sources. Thanks.

In the future, everyone please remember that the rules on UrbanPlanet.org clearly state that you are not to post articles on this site. This is a discussion board, not a news site. Feel free to post facts or an interesting quote from the article, but always link to the article's source so that others can read it in full if they choose to do so. It also proves that you aren't making up your facts :)

Thanks for your cooperation.

--------

As far as this argument is concerned, it seems to me that Atlanta should look at Macon or one of its smaller regional airports to ease the load on Hartsfield. Many major cities have multiple airports (New York, DC, London, Chicago, Paris, etc.). Atlanta would be better served by creating a decent national airport while leaving the international hub at Hartsfield. If they choose to put it in Augusta or Chattanooga, thats fine. I personally don't see it being very effective from a SC perspective. Being from the Upstate of SC, I can tell you that while Greenville-Spartanburg International is a good airport... but people there already choose Atlanta or Charlotte for most long distance flights. It takes about the same amount of time to get to Augusta as it does to go to Atlanta. Charlotte is even closer. The #1 factor for the average person is going to be cost. If Augusta is the chosen city for flight relocation, its going to have to deliver lower costs and more direct flights- which is something that many regional airports struggle with.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as this argument is concerned, it seems to me that Atlanta should look at Macon or one of its smaller regional airports to ease the load on Hartsfield. Many major cities have multiple airports (New York, DC, London, Chicago, Paris, etc.). Atlanta would be better served by creating a decent national airport while leaving the international hub at Hartsfield. If they choose to put it in Augusta or Chattanooga, thats fine. I personally don't see it being very effective from a SC perspective. Being from the Upstate of SC, I can tell you that while Greenville-Spartanburg International is a good airport... but people there already choose Atlanta or Charlotte for most long distance flights. It takes about the same amount of time to get to Augusta as it does to go to Atlanta. Charlotte is even closer. The #1 factor for the average person is going to be cost.

If Augusta is the chosen city for flight relocation, its going to have to deliver lower costs and more direct flights- which is something that many regional airports struggle with.

Savannah is ahead of augusta now but we dont know what the future holds. Aug is getting 2 new airlines and a new terminal this yr.

Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is a world-class facility that serves national and international traffic for much of the world. Savannah International Airport is second in terms of passengers served in the state. Augusta Regional at Bush Field and Columbus Metropolitan, which are next in order, facilitate national as well as commuter-passenger service.

Next in order of the number of passengers served, they are Georgia Regional (Albany), Middle Georgia Regional (Macon), Glynco Jetport (Brunswick), Valdosta Regional (Valdosta), and Athens-Ben Epps Airport (Athens).

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-773

Savannah is ahead of augusta now but we dont know what the future holds. Aug is getting 2 new airlines and a new terminal this yr.

Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is a world-class facility that serves national and international traffic for much of the world. Savannah International Airport is second in terms of passengers served in the state. Augusta Regional at Bush Field and Columbus Metropolitan, which are next in order, facilitate national as well as commuter-passenger service.

Next in order of the number of passengers served, they are Georgia Regional (Albany), Middle Georgia Regional (Macon), Glynco Jetport (Brunswick), Valdosta Regional (Valdosta), and Athens-Ben Epps Airport (Athens).

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-773

Macon as a 2nd airport for Atlanta would make ABSOLUTELY no sense to me though. Why would north Atlantans want to drive even further for an airport option? There is not enough population in the Macon, central Georgia area to warrant it. IMO it would be very stupid. Augusta would make more sense because it could serve a larger population base (1.5 million in the Augusta and Columbia regions) and possibly an additional 1.5 million for the upstate SC area, (although some would still choose Charlotte or Atlanta over Augusta). Honestly, just north of Athens near 85 would make the best possible sense.

It makes absolutely no sense to build another airport to serve primarily the metro Atlanta region over two hours drive from metro Atlanta. I also don't think Macon is a good option either, becuase most of the growth is occuring in north metro Atlanta.. I think a location in northern Gwinnett County or Hall County makes more sense, ideally somewhere off I85 or possibly I985.

I am sure the commission will consider all ideas, but really, people advocating an Atlanta airport in Augusta is blind boosterism at its worst.

Columbia, SC already has a pretty nice airport with many direct flights to major cities.. Augusta's airport is serviced by two carriers (USAirways and ASA) with direct service only to Charlotte and Atlanta. The enplanements at Augusta's airport are very low and have been declining. If there is this huge market for airtravel in Augusta then why aren't the airlines coming? Why are flight schedules continually cut and flights cancelled? There was a boosterism drive several years back to bring Continental airlines in Augusta.. the boosters told Continental that they would have all of this business in Augusta. Continental decided to give it a try.. but after a year cancelled their service to Augusta.. Why? Not enough passengers to meet the bottom line. And Continental was actually offering lower fares and direct flights to new cities like New York. I remember about 17 years ago there were serious discussions about building an airport midway between Augusta and Columbia, SC right off I20.. but it Georgia didn't get behind it because it would have been built in SC. Augusta missed that opportunity and it is not likely to return.. especially since millions have been spent to upgrade Columbia's airport and now Augusta Regional is building a new terminal.. but we will have to see if the facelift for Augusta's airport wil actually attract more airlines and flights.

I follow the Augusta news frequently and have not heard anything about two new airlines coming to the Augusta airport. I do know that US airways is planning on adding jet service (small regional jets) instead of using the dehavilland turbo props. What are these two new airlines? I looked at the airport website and found no info on two new airlines coming to the airport.

For the record the airport is serviced by 3 airlines united, US, and delta. All i know is 40,000 more ppl have used augusta's airport in 2007 compared to 2006.The mayor went to atlanta earlier this year and had a meeting with mayor shirley franklin and a developer who wants to build a baseball stadium downtown in augusta. The mayor stated one of the major topics with mayor franklin was flight delays at hartsfield. No boosterism just straight facts. If mayor frankilin invited deke to atlanta to discuss flight delays she must think augusta is worth investigating. The moderators deleted my 2 articles, ill see if i can find the link again about the 2 new airlines

So what are these two new airlines that are confirmed to be coming to Augusta? Nothing on the the airport's website and now news articeles on this pop up from a google search.

I am sure Augusta's mayor discussed all sorts of things with Atlanta's mayor.. mayors do this all of the tiome.. but I haven't seen anything where Mayor Franklin expressly invited Augusta's mayor for the purpose of discussing the idea of Augusta being an option for Atlanta's second airport.

Augusta regional is reporting a 12 percent increase in flights for 2007. Both Delta and U.S. Airways are replacing the small turbo planes with 50 passenger regional jets. "Oh yeah, absolutely." Mayor Franklin says she welcomes the dialogue. "Well it is exciting, Augusta is one our sister cities and we're always happy to see you and the mayor."

augusta chronicle or nbc had the article on the two airlines and about the mayor's meeting in more depth but i can't find it. They might have been deleted

Construction has started on the waste plant on doug barnard pkwy. The construction will take 3 years to complete. The odor and fumes from the plant will be gone after construction is done. I know alot of ppl are happy to here this info, should have happen 5 years ago but better late than never. The owner of the plant said this will help will development around the airport, such as hotels, stores, and resturants.

Columbia, SC already has a pretty nice airport with many direct flights to major cities.. Augusta's airport is serviced by two carriers (USAirways and ASA) with direct service only to Charlotte and Atlanta. The enplanements at Augusta's airport are very low and have been declining. If there is this huge market for airtravel in Augusta then why aren't the airlines coming? Why are flight schedules continually cut and flights cancelled? There was a boosterism drive several years back to bring Continental airlines in Augusta.. the boosters told Continental that they would have all of this business in Augusta. Continental decided to give it a try.. but after a year cancelled their service to Augusta.. Why? Not enough passengers to meet the bottom line. And Continental was actually offering lower fares and direct flights to new cities like New York. I remember about 17 years ago there were serious discussions about building an airport midway between Augusta and Columbia, SC right off I20.. but it Georgia didn't get behind it because it would have been built in SC. Augusta missed that opportunity and it is not likely to return.. especially since millions have been spent to upgrade Columbia's airport and now Augusta Regional is building a new terminal.. but we will have to see if the facelift for Augusta's airport wil actually attract more airlines and flights.

Augusta has lower fares than greenville, macon, and columbia. So it seem augusta regional is passing this airports in 2007 and the future. Besides atlanta of course then savannah, i don't see any competiton for augusta regional out of the other georgia and south cak cities.

Having flown into and out of Augusta on many occassions I will have to disagree with your assessment. The flight schedule in and out of Augusta is VERY limited. I took a flight from DC to Augusta on US airways (you only have two choices by the way, USAirways and Delta).. Of course since there are no direct flights to Augusta I had to connect in Charlotte, and had to wait over 4 and half hours in CHarlotte for the next flight to Augusta.. because the fight schedule is so limited.. When all was said in done it took close to 8 hours to fly to Augusta from Washington, DC.. I could have driven in about the same amount of time. The Delta option is even worse.. ASA is notorious for cancelling flights to and out of Augusta at the last minute. Usually they will say its a mechanical problem but a good friend of mine who works for Delta has told me that the real reason is because the flight doesn't have enough passengers and its cheaper for Delta to put the Augusta bound passngers on a bus from Atlanta.. belive me I have experienced this more than once. If you read The Augusta Chronicle you will routinely read letters to the editor detailing horror stories of flying in and out of Augusta. It's one thig if your flight gets cancelled in a major airport like Atlanta .. because usually there is always another flight you can get on .. but with the limited air service in Augusta... your flight gets cancelled and that's it.. you may not make it out till the next day. And flights are not cheaper out of Augusta.. sometimes you will find fares comparable to other cities and once in a blue moon you may find a bargain out of Augusta's airport.. but rarely. The reason is simple Augusta lacks a discount airline like an airtran... and with only two carriers.. there's not much competition. US airways has cuit some of their fares in and out of Augusta but it's still cheaper about 95% of the time to fly out of Columbia, SC or Atlanta. Columbia also has a few direct flights to DC. As far as new airlines... there are NO announcements of any new air carriers coming to Augusta.. the airport is always trying to court new carriers but nothing has materialised thus far. Augusta's is in a difficult situation.. the market is simply not large enough to be attractive to most carriers..and it's within a reasonable drive to Atlanta's Hartsfield and even Charlotte Douglass... about equal distance to both and then Columbia is about an hours drive away.. Savannah's airport thrives because it has a lot of tourist traffic... it even attached Hilton Head to the name of its airport to capitalise on the tourist traffic. Augusta is simply not a tourist destination except for maybe during the masters.. and it's not a business hub.. and business travelers are the bread and butter of the airlines. Augusta has about what it will get as far as air service.. basic limited conecting service. The new terminal is nice.. because that airport was truly atrocious before.. I have seen nicer airports in third world African nations. BUt even with all of the renovations there still isn't a restaurant in the terminal.. just a dinky coffee stand.. and how about a full newsstand? These are basic services that air travellers have come to expect.

Much of the improvements in and out of Augusta are cosmetic.. ad hinging on the hope they may lure a new carrier. I would say the best bet for Augusta's airport is in the realm of air cargo.. maybe a UPS hub or something along those lines. quote name='augga706' date='Dec 6 2007, 06:03 PM' post='900834']

Augusta has lower fares than greenville, macon, and columbia. So it seem augusta regional is passing this airports in 2007 and the future. Besides atlanta of course then savannah, i don't see any competiton for augusta regional out of the other georgia and south cak cities.

No one, except Augusta boosters , have mentioned Augusta as a contender for a second Atlanta airport. State Rep Quincy Murphy (from Augusta) started this discussion when he said Augusta should be a consideration if Chattanooga was going to be considered. Murphy wrote a letter to the editor stating his opinion that Augusta should be considered... As others have pointed out.. the only logical consideration for a second Atlanta airport would be in north metro Atlanta not more than 2 hours away. It simply makes no sense. Again it was Augusta boosters that brought this idea up.. not those in the decision making process for finding solutions to Hartsfield's air traffic. I'm sure just about every other medium size city within a 150 mile radius of Atlanta is also trying to tout themselves as the solution.

Archived