Hartsfield Airport

augga706

Fares out of Augusta are not cheaper than Columbia and Greenville.. on some occassions they may be but generally they are not. I know because I check when I have to go to Augusta... I almost always end up flying to Columbia because the fares are significantly cheaper.. as well as more flights..Sure I would prefer to fly directly to Augusta.. but the service is just too limited and expensive to make that a reasonable option..

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Macon as a 2nd airport for Atlanta would make ABSOLUTELY no sense to me though. Why would north Atlantans want to drive even further for an airport option? There is not enough population in the Macon, central Georgia area to warrant it. IMO it would be very stupid. Augusta would make more sense because it could serve a larger population base (1.5 million in the Augusta and Columbia regions) and possibly an additional 1.5 million for the upstate SC area, (although some would still choose Charlotte or Atlanta over Augusta). Honestly, just north of Athens near 85 would make the best possible sense.

No one, except Augusta boosters , have mentioned Augusta as a contender for a second Atlanta airport. State Rep Quincy Murphy (from Augusta) started this discussion when he said Augusta should be a consideration if Chattanooga was going to be considered. Murphy wrote a letter to the editor stating his opinion that Augusta should be considered... As others have pointed out.. the only logical consideration for a second Atlanta airport would be in north metro Atlanta not more than 2 hours away. It simply makes no sense. Again it was Augusta boosters that brought this idea up.. not those in the decision making process for finding solutions to Hartsfield's air traffic. I'm sure just about every other medium size city within a 150 mile radius of Atlanta is also trying to tout themselves as the solution.

Not i don't need to do any research my mom goes to new york just about every year. She either flys out of columbia or augusta when she visits new york.This year she is flying out of augusta to newyork because it is cheaper than flying out of columbia. Like i said the fares most of the time are comparable or lower than columbia. Check expedia, cheapflights, or hotwire augusta has lower fares than columbia alot of times. I think you read the article PJA had on augusta, you never read mind because the moderator deleted it. Augusta was one of the considerations.

This i know

atlanta, savannah, and augusta are the top 3 airports in ga in that order.

If the plan is for a quick fix... such as expanding an exisiting airport to handle overflow from Hartsfield then I agree that Macon is the most practical choice. BUt if the plan is to build a new airport it would be wise to center it north of metro Atlanta. Alot of the people using the airport will be coming from the north metro burbs and by locating it south of Atlanta these ppl would have to commute through downtown or around the perimeter to access the airport and with Hartsfield already on the southside.. it just doesn't make sense to have another airport on the southside. A lot of major cities have more than one airport.. DC has Dulles, National, and BWI near Baltimore.. New York has JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark.. Chicago has O'Hare and Midway.. The bulk of the growth in georgia is occurring north of Atlanta not in cities like Macon, Columbus, and Augusta.. so if a new airport is to be built to service metro atlanta's growth it should be located on the northside. It could be built in Hall or Jackson Counties.. along I85 or I985.. it would be convenient to get to (certainly much easier to access than Hartsfield for the folks living on the northside. An amtrak line already runs up the I85 corridor.. this could easily be expanded to offer commuter rail access to the new airport.. and a NE commuter rail line would help alleviate some of the traffic congestion on the northside.

Unfortunately parochial interests from politicians are trying to hijack the process and turn this into a pork barrel boondoggle for their districts then providing a real solution to addressing the need to increase air service in metro atlanta.

Reall y I don't think north metro Atlanta will be a wise decision because that area is to chaotic and traffic in that area is horrible it would take you for ever to get the airport and when you could have just drove or caught the train to macon or somewhere else. I read the article you mention about Augusta, Augusta has neve been one of the considerations. I have been following this project from day one which has been in discussion for the last 3-5 years but is just now coming out because of what the fed gov said about the airport future recently this year... There has only been 3 choices that right now are beening considered for the the 2nd airport which is 1.)Macon 2.)Chattonooga 3.)Atlanta north metro There also was talks to build new airpot in the triangle of ATL, Macon & columbus...... but it was ruled out so who know what they will do but i really hope that Macon is chose......

If the plan is for a quick fix... such as expanding an exisiting airport to handle overflow from Hartsfield then I agree that Macon is the most practical choice. BUt if the plan is to build a new airport it would be wise to center it north of metro Atlanta. Alot of the people using the airport will be coming from the north metro burbs and by locating it south of Atlanta these ppl would have to commute through downtown or around the perimeter to access the airport and with Hartsfield already on the southside.. it just doesn't make sense to have another airport on the southside. A lot of major cities have more than one airport.. DC has Dulles, National, and BWI near Baltimore.. New York has JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark.. Chicago has O'Hare and Midway.. The bulk of the growth in georgia is occurring north of Atlanta not in cities like Macon, Columbus, and Augusta.. so if a new airport is to be built to service metro atlanta's growth it should be located on the northside. It could be built in Hall or Jackson Counties.. along I85 or I985.. it would be convenient to get to (certainly much easier to access than Hartsfield for the folks living on the northside. An amtrak line already runs up the I85 corridor.. this could easily be expanded to offer commuter rail access to the new airport.. and a NE commuter rail line would help alleviate some of the traffic congestion on the northside.

Unfortunately parochial interests from politicians are trying to hijack the process and turn this into a pork barrel boondoggle for their districts then providing a real solution to addressing the need to increase air service in metro atlanta.

IMO opinion it would make more since to place it further away from Atlanta. They dont' need two airports. If the put it in far North Georgia, or Augusta, that would alleviate a lot of traffic from the airport and their airport can serve the Atlanta region and South Georiga, while the other region would serve North Georgia, some of Tennesse, or if in Augusta, eastern Georgia, some of North Georgia and South Carolina.

This will show you what cities are using altanta's airport the most

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Arrivals

Date: Dec 06, 2007 03:00 - 06:00 PM

Airport: (ATL) Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport

Atlanta, GA, US

Augusta 10, Savannah 8, (CHS) Charleston 7, Greenville 7, Columbia 6, Chattanooga 5, Albany 3, (CSG) Columbus 2. Macon's airport had no arrivals at hartsfield. Augusta is a good choice since its already handling more airport traffic from atlanta than the rest. GA doesn't have the money to spend on a airport that would have to be built from stratch. It still would cost millions of dollars more to add to a smaller airport than to use augusta, macon, or chattanooga.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...amp;sortField=9

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Departures

Date: Dec 07, 2007 03:00 - 06:00 PM

Atlanta, GA, US

Savannah 11, Augusta 9, Charleston 8, Columbia 8, Greenville 4, Chattanooga 3, Macon 3, Columbus 3

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...p;x=10&y=11

This will show you what cities are using altanta's airport the most

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Arrivals

Date: Dec 06, 2007 03:00 - 06:00 PM

Atlanta, GA, US

Augusta 10, Savannah 8, (CHS) Charleston 7, Greenville 7, Columbia 6, Chattanooga 5, Albany 3, (CSG) Columbus 2. Macon's airport had no arrivals at hartsfield. Augusta is a good choice since its already handling more airport traffic from atlanta than the rest. GA doesn't have the money to spend on a airport that would have to be built from stratch. It still would cost millions of dollars more to add to a smaller airport than to use augusta, macon, or chattanooga.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...amp;sortField=9

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Departures

Date: Dec 07, 2007 03:00 - 06:00 PM

Atlanta, GA, US

Savannah 11, Augusta 9, Charleston 8, Columbia 8, Greenville 4, Chattanooga 3, Macon 3, Columbus 3

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus...p;x=10&y=11

A 'quick fix' is not needed; the general study driving the funding for the study for a second airport in Atlanta did not see an excess capacity need by 2015, but rather by 2025. ATL has plans for continued increase in capacity through the new 5th runway, the new international terminal and the planned south terminal. A good list of alternatives is available at Wikipedia. IMHO, one to watch is the Northeast Georgia Regional Airport, because it sits adjacent to the railroad that would be the Brain Train commuter rail route (if ever funded/approved) which could provide the synergy (a transit connection) that other sites would lack.

Actually, Savannah is handling more flights FROM Atl as you said than Augusta (11 vs. 9). In any event, look at the large cities with multiple airports. None of them are more than 50 miles out from the city center. If a second Atlanta airport s built, it will be closer to Atlanta & her population centers, which removes Augusta from consideration. Macon MAY have a chance, but it's further removed from ATL's population centers than a location on the northside. I'd have to say if built, a second airport would go somewhere near Gainesville, or Jackson Co, as mentioned by another poster.

This whole Augusta vs. Macon whinefest over a proposed airport for ATLANTA is plain silly. Both cities need to concentrate on why people would fly in or out of their cities (because of what is there, or by attracting low cost carriers), and worry less about what Atlanta does.

Aslong as augusta or macon get it and not chattanooga i could care less. Everybody always complains that atlanta always sucks up georgia. Or how ga doesn't have any other major cites but atlanta. This airport by itself would end all those complaints if aug or mcn got it. If they build the airport in north ga that only helps atlanta which doesn't need any more help to grow. A airport being built in north ga doesn't help ga in having other significant cities, or decrease residents from columbia, macon, savannah, columbus, greenville, and augusta from flying out of hartsfield.

Augusta has 16 flights per day to two of the major hubs in the country. Both of these hubs have less congestion and delays than any of the New York-area airports.

Further, Augusta's savvy travelers know that the reliability of flights from Augusta is equal to the national average of more than 97 percent. In addition, on-time performance at Augusta is better than the national average, and many of the fares from Augusta are less than those in Columbia, S.C., and comparable to Atlanta.

The writer is executive director of Augusta Regional Airport

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/120907/let_176039.shtml

Folks, while I appreciate your desire to have an economic driver like a major active airport in your favorite city, the reason a second airport is being studied for Atlanta is that ATL and the Atlanta metro area are projected to need another airport. ATL handled almost 85 million passengers last year and is projected to be able to grow to (and handle via the planned development program) 121 million passengers in 2015, the projected airport is help handle growth beyond that.

The reason so many passengers are and will be served is that ATL is a key hub (the key hub in the southeast?) in the nation's air transit system and more and more people are traveling to and from the Atlanta metro as a destination. O&D traffic was up 37% in 2006 and projected to increase another 37% this year. The metro is currently at 5 million and is project to be near 7 million by 2030 (ARC estimate). Atlanta has 12 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the metro and hundreds of companies have regional HQs here. The city is major convention destination and is a growing tourist destination.

The airport has to be as close as reasonably possible to Atlanta and the population centers not because it is intended to create any more growth, but because the growth and demand is there and will continue to be there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

DOT awards Daniel Field Airport $150,000 grant

The U.S. Department of Transportation has awarded Augusta a $150,000 grant for use at the Daniel Field Airport, according to a news release from the office of U.S. Rep. Paul Broun.

Officials plan to use the money to renovate the terminal building, the release stated. Airport Director Buster Boshears said they have begun creating a preliminary redesign plan that includes a new roof and an elevator to make the second floor handicap accessible.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/041008/met_194333.shtml

Air Taxi service growing in augusta.

ImagineAir, based in Lawrenceville, Ga., has completed more than 500 taxi flights since it opened a year ago. About 65 flights originated in the Augusta area, said Haroon Qureshi, the director of public relations and sales.

"We're looking at possibly having a base in Augusta and putting aircraft there. That will potentially lower fares in Augusta," he said. If selected, Augusta could become a base within six months, he said.

ImagineAir provides flights to about 400 destinations in the Southeast. The company's clients are mostly business travelers, who can book flights online for convenience. They arrive only 15 minutes before departure, and an aircraft is waiting for them, Mr. Qureshi said.

IMAGINEAIR

Based in Lawrenceville, Ga.

Flies to 400 destinations in the Southeast

Flies into Daniel Field Airport, Augusta Regional Airport, Thomson-McDuffie County Airport and Aiken Municipal Airport.

SATSAIR (SMART AIR TRAVEL SOLUTIONS)

Based in Greenville, S.C.

Flies to destinations in the Southeast Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and Virginia

Flies into Daniel Field Airport, Augusta Regional Airport, Thomson-McDuffie County Airport and Aiken Municipal Airport.

DAYJET

- Based in Boca Raton, Fla.

- Flies to 45 destinations in the Southeast

- Augusta is a "day stop" and clients can fly from a day stop to any of 10 "day ports," including Macon and Savannah, Ga.; Montgomery, Ala.; and Pensacola, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Lakeland, Naples, Boca Raton, and Opa Locka, Fla.

Archived