Map of Active Projects in central Charlotte (8/07)

dubone

I have updated the rundown map showing the active projects. This time, it has become the motherload, as I have include the westside, SouthEnd all the way down to Scaleybark, the eastside to Briar Creek, and NoDa.

As the scope was so large, I have a feeling that I have omitted some random projects within the neighborhoods. If you see any or have a project name for something I've given a generic label, just PM me.

Before, I used to try to list the projects, but without table formatting, it got to be difficult. That has now been replaced by the Construction Summary on UrbanPlanet's wiki:

http://urbanplanet.org/wiki/index.php/Char...ruction_Summary

The archive of last year's Uptown Project Rundown is here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Rundown-...arl-t32676.html

Here is Center City Partner's development report, which has the information organized in a different way:

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/nav.cfm...5&subsub=79

*Click on any of the photos for a high resolution version of the images*

Here is the map for Uptown and its immediate surrounding areas:

185732954-M.jpg

Here is the map for the Wesley Heights area projects:

185732909-M.jpg

Here is the map for SouthEnd and the "Queen Park" area projects:

185733004-M.jpg

Here is the map for Plaza-Midwood and Morningside/Briar Creek area projects:

185732875-M.jpg

Within Uptown, here is First Ward:

185732758-M.jpg

Within Uptown, here is Second Ward:

185732795-M.jpg

Within Uptown, here is Third Ward:

185732818-M.jpg

Within Uptown, here is Fourth Ward:

185732838-M.jpg

The full area rundown map is here:

185745258-M.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. I'm sure you guys realize how much dang work it is. But it is great to see a visual representation of everything we read about day in and day out. I love seeing the results and knowing how different Charlotte will be when the successful projects are done.

As for the Tower, I'm sort of just blowing that one off for now, and it is such a pain to label, being so tiny. :) But I'll add it in when I do my next revision in the next week or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Dear Dubone and other map lovers,

Someone in San Francisco has written a grant request at the Knight News Challenge seeking $800,000 to build maps with lists and clickable context of proposed developments.

Some interesting ideas in the proposal, but it's quite similar to what urban planet and dubone have already done here. prototype is called www.sfpipeline.com , and it appears to just be a basic google map.

You might have to create an account at the Knight News Challenge to see the full proposal, or not, I'm not sure. If you want to go, see http://generalapp.newschallenge.org/snc/ma...D1-A6A5C564055E

If the link doesn't work, Google "Knight News Challenge."

The proposal is called "Local real estate development hub."

Deadline for grant requests is Oct. 15.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I think this might be the best place for the below article and corresponding image as it directly discusses much of the vision for Charlotte that was part of this thread's original development map. If I am incorrect, please feel free to move.

The Observer had an interesting article about Uptown development. IMO it was pretty fair and straightforward. The related image is also a great guide.

My three take aways are:

1. Uptown actually stands to benefit over the long term by a correction in affordability. I think making the area less exclusive in high rent/purchase prices will encourage more people to move into the city and thus a more lively feel.

2. We are lucky as the article mentions to only suffer from one built building (Park) that has stood as a skeleton reminder of the economic crash. An hat one looks like it is finally getting some movement. It could have been a lot worse (article mentions Miami.) I'm also glad that if 210 Trade was going to fall through that it did so before being built. Yes those structural supports to nowhere look bad, though I think a towering skeleton over the epicentre and in the heart of the city would have looked much worse.

3. We're not going to see anything significant skyline wise for the next 5-10 years.

post-24262-12679626815466_thumb.jpg

post-24262-12679626815466_thumb.jpg

Archived