2 demolitions on Shreveport-Barksdale Highway

Mudbugger

I know i haven't posted in a while but my wife and I saw something yesterday that might interest some folks.

We were driving down Shreveport-Barksdale highway and the old Quail Creek Cinema has been torn down.

Further down, at the foot of the dismantled Shreveport-Barksdale bridge, the McDonald's had been completely removed.

I am surprised that there wasn't more media coverage of Quail Creek, it doesn't surprise me about McDonald's i think i remember seeing an article in the Times about them either closing or demolishing it to rebuild a new one in it's place to have it's opening coincide with the opening of the newly rebuilt bridge.

If anyone has some news on this i would appreciate it.

Mudbugger

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know i haven't posted in a while but my wife and I saw something yesterday that might interest some folks.

We were driving down Shreveport-Barksdale highway and the old Quail Creek Cinema has been torn down.

Further down, at the foot of the dismantled Shreveport-Barksdale bridge, the McDonald's had been completely removed.

I am surprised that there wasn't more media coverage of Quail Creek, it doesn't surprise me about McDonald's i think i remember seeing an article in the Times about them either closing or demolishing it to rebuild a new one in it's place to have it's opening coincide with the opening of the newly rebuilt bridge.

If anyone has some news on this i would appreciate it.

Mudbugger

I went to lunch at Hong Kong City last week and saw the Quail Creek theater being torn down, and the little strip center next to it is almost completely empty. Like what EyeofDTiger said, I'd expect to see another little strip center built there.

And yes, the McDonald's down by the bridge is being torn down to be reconstructed in the modern style with the large arches (a throwback to early McDonald's restaurants but with a modern twist.) The new McDonald's on Benton Road in Bossier, near Posado's, is built in this style as well. I'm not sure about the Benton Road location, but I do know that the Shreveport-Barksdale location had applied for zoning for 24-hour operation. I'm not sure if it would be 24 hours for full-service or just for the drive-thru window, though... I can't remember.

• 2 months later...

I visited Shreveport recently and saw this area. The mcDonald's almost looks like a Chipotle restaurant -- kinda upscale looking. Speaking of which, Shreveport could really use a Chipotle, or freebirds. Those places are great.

I noticed Starbucks in SE Shreveport was kinda expensive -- almost .50 more for a typical drink there compared to here in the San Antonio area

I visited Shreveport recently and saw this area. The mcDonald's almost looks like a Chipotle restaurant -- kinda upscale looking. Speaking of which, Shreveport could really use a Chipotle, or freebirds. Those places are great.

I noticed Starbucks in SE Shreveport was kinda expensive -- almost .50 more for a typical drink there compared to here in the San Antonio area

I thought Starbucks prices were standard across the board, except in areas where the cost of living is just outrageous? That's odd about the price difference.

Yeah the new McDonald's over there is very nice, and is just like the one they just rebuilt on Benton Road in Bossier at the foot of the new railroad bypass flyover.

Rent in SE Shreveport starts at about $800-$900/month... so yeah, it's ridiculous. But that's just how rent is here now. All the nice, newer apartments start around $800/month. The Starbucks stores here are also in very high-traffic areas... by Shreveport's standards. Youree Drive, Airline Drive, Bert Kouns, Pines Road, downtown, etc.

How long had it been since you'd been back here? I hope you were pleased with the direction the area has gone in... it's changed a lot for the better, but of course there will always be those areas that have gone backward. This is Louisiana, so I don't see that changing. But to see how much the area has grown and diversified its economy so much is very nice to me. Even the cultural makeup of the area has changed a lot. Bossier City is becoming very heavily Hispanic, while Shreveport seems to have quite a bit of Middle Eastern and Asian people. My old apartment complex in Shreveport was full of doctors so there were LOTS of people in that complex from all over the world. Where I live now (Haughton) most of my neighbors are from elsewhere but it's because they're military. They're not from other countries, just other states.

Archived