Greenville & Mauldin Merger?

btoy

I guess the point I was trying to make was the Mauldin or any of the golden strip towns seem to be standing pretty well on their own wheras the nebulous "eastside" and Taylors (especially the "inner city" of Taylors) stands a better chance of being "Greenvilleized" as Greer is heading west. Heck some parts of Taylors and the "eastside" are being absorbed by Greer moving west.

I wasn't personally slamming the "eastside". If I was slamming it I'd say let them go instead of being more unified with Greenville proper. The only thing I don't like about the eastside is the traffic. Anything taken as a "slam" was referring to the older more native Greenvillians .

Maybe the heat is just getting to me and I miss the old days of the water slide on Wade Hampton. ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get this thread back on topic, a merger of Greenville and Mauldin is/would be a totally different thing than a Greenville annexation of the eastside. Such an annexation would take decades to accomplish, even if possible. And the possibility is extremely limited under today's annexation laws. The merger would only involve an agreement between two already contiguous governments and an election --- and would take a relatively short amount of time by comparison. Now understand, I'm NOT saying such a merger is likely to happen however, it would certainly be the more doable of the two.

• 7 months later...
I found this interesting information on the Mauldin City website.

<<On May 28, 1957, citizens voted 115-106 to keep the town charter instead of becoming a part of Greenville>>

I had no idea that Mauldin ever considered becoming a part of Greenville. (Does this simply mean unincorporated space in the County with Greenville addresses or actually the City?) Interestingly enough, in 1957, Mauldin only narrowly saved itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived