New Beaner's Coffee House

AvtpeasK

:offtopic: I love Whole Foods, and I'd love to see one in Grand Rapids. (My vote for location would be the Gaslight Village D&W/Family Fare/Grocery Dissapointment.) That said, I'm headed out to the new Fresh Market later...we'll see how that compares.

Back on the topic...drove by the new Beaners location yesterday. Holy cow, is that going up fast! That will make such a positive change to that corner. :thumbsup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would have been so much easier. :)

Nobody is forcing Beansters [sic] to change their name. Why get mad about something they're doing in hopes that it improves their business?

It'd be one thing if the media was out there crucifying them for being racists (when, as you aptly point out, no ill will was ever intended).

They're making this change pro-actively, on their own, without any public outcry, entirely of their own accord. There's no reason to call out the anti-PC police on this one.

That would have been so much easier. :)

Nobody is forcing Beansters [sic] to change their name. Why get mad about something they're doing in hopes that it improves their business?

It'd be one thing if the media was out there crucifying them for being racists (when, as you aptly point out, no ill will was ever intended).

They're making this change pro-actively, on their own, without any public outcry, entirely of their own accord. There's no reason to call out the anti-PC police on this one.

Mad is the wrong way to read my post. I am just so tired of these PR moments. Was their business bad to begin with? Nope. In fact, they note that business was/is good. No one had complained.

I guess what I am contemplating is this: When was the last time that someone changed a name/slogan, mascot (Fighting Irish comes to mind), or anything else because it might offend someone who is white?! I cannot remember the last time that a story like that was run in the media.

As everyone candidly points out, whites are still the population majority. That does not mean that a white person should just put up with things nor does that mean that they should be ignored. Whites are expected to respect everyone; rarely have I seen a minority in business, writing, media, etc held to the same level of expectation when they do something that is considered disrespectful.

When I see an article like this, all I can think is maybe I should have more of a problem when someone who is not white says, writes, or does something that is potentially offensive. Even if there is a clear line that shows that there is not an intended problem. But I would be labelled as inconsiderate and/or a racist if I did that. And that is wrong. A story like this just makes me ashamed.

I think the name change was a wise decision. Especially at the rate they are growing, if they ever want to expand to the Southwest, it will be more of an issue. BTW: They DID hear complaints according to the article, but no one sued or demanded the name change.

Biggby's to me though sounds like the last name of an old English butler. :huh:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived