Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

Anacostia and Potomac waterfronts

6 posts in this topic

Here's a great interactive map by the Post detailing the several developments planned for these two waterfronts. These will dramatically tranform this part of the city.

Yes, I think this long neglected area of the city will finally come together, housing glut or no. The ambitious plans ought to create real neighborhoods and not merely clumps of offices in a wasteland as the few that are already built now seem to be. As the article notes, Washington is one of he few great cities with a major waterfront that has been all but totally neglected. Beyond a couple of places in Georgetown and the Watergate, the river is completely forgotten.

I remember being part of a sailing regatta on the Anacostia in the spring of 2000 at the Anacostia Naval Station. They told us, whatever you do, don't fall in the water. Is it still a nasty river?

I wouldn't dream of swimming in the Potomac.

The Potomac is still a polluted river, it was declared unfit for swimming in 1957 by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, due to all pollutant dumping for decades prior to that, and it has affected Anacostia River.

Unless the people clean up the Potomac and Anacostia, I would never do any water activities in there. Swimming in polluted rivers will have serious health effects.