Downtown Unrecognizable?

GRDadof3

an observation,

People in Grand Rapids have been spoiled with very reasonable real estate prices. The prices one would pay to live in this "verticle gated community", are still less that what one would pay to enter the market in the Phoenix area where I live. Incomes are very near the same per capita. Those living in middle class GR could very much afford it. It is the suburban mindset that perpetuates the area that keeps them out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just sent in this response:

In response to the August 31st commentary on how downtown has changed, this class of thought is what is preventing Grand Rapids from shaking the conservative image that it has throughout the region. What has really changed? Some retail business has left, which can be attributed to people like the commentator, who make excuses to take their dollars elsewhere. Sure, more alcohol oriented businesses have opened up, and Blues on the Mall brings a wide array of people who don

While it is understandable that these people long for the good ol' days of family trips to the department stores downtown, the reality is that those kinds of places aren't feasible here, at least not yet. All that was thrown away for our beloved shopping malls and Wal-marts, which was driven in part by people of her generation. I think everyone here would love to see downtown return to the good ol days, where you can go shopping and spend the day there and get everything you need and blah blah blah. The reality is that we aren't there yet, and the "targeting" of "rich" people to move back downtown is the beginning to the strategy to revitalize our downtown. A downtown needs rich people. It needs middle- and lower-class people too, but it seems foolish to me to criticize what is happening downtown because its only for "rich" people. What we are seeing is (hopefully) just the beginning of a re-birth of sorts, not the creation of a rich yuppie "gated community". Just because downtown has changed from what it was, that doesn't mean that it is going to stay the way it is now.

• 3 months later...

Fact is GRPS sucks because of poor parenting. how can we expect teachers to teach kids if the parents refuse to push kids and craft them into well behaving students? without my parents, id have been a lil hellian too. so there really is nothing GR or we can do, just hope poeple get their act together. THEN downtown/GR is a viable place for families, tho i think Grand Rapids Christian and other private schools make living in the city better, albeit more expensive, for families.

Archived