Publix in Savannah

ajc0890

Has Publix decided to finally expand its Savannah operations. They entered the market in the early 90s and then sort of abruptly stopped expanding. Now they have opened a store in Richmond Hill and are opening one in Pooler and Largo Plaza. I can really see one of their urban formats doing well downtown. Other places they should build stores, I believe at least, are Rincon, Chatham Parkway or outside of Berwick somewhere, near The Landinds, and maybe Port Wentworth.

They really have picked up there advertising in this market, with TV commercials for the first time since the late 90s, newspaper adds and some billboards.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has Publix decided to finally expand its Savannah operations. They entered the market in the early 90s and then sort of abruptly stopped expanding. Now they have opened a store in Richmond Hill and are opening one in Pooler and Largo Plaza. I can really see one of their urban formats doing well downtown. Other places they should build stores, I believe at least, are Rincon, Chatham Parkway or outside of Berwick somewhere, near The Landinds, and maybe Port Wentworth.

They really have picked up there advertising in this market, with TV commercials for the first time since the late 90s, newspaper adds and some billboards.

yeh, it seems to me I heard something a while back about either a mall or urban stayle shopping center on the southside of President st. across from the project, so im guessing its probably the same thing as what you are referring to. I like the idea cus those apartments there are kinda trashy.

good job 109 on your status, lets have a parade! hahahaha. i never could figure out what the exact criteria was for them. is it just how many posts you've made?

It's sort of ironic they quit expanding into the area. We were their first city in the expansion outside of Florida. I find that most people say it's too expensive. I mean a few cents more for better service and products isn't to much. Then again Publix does well in Floridian low-income markets of Jacksonville and Miami. So what's going on there that they can get the customers, besides that they are well established there.

As for the Pooler location, I remember rumours began circulating back in '03 that Publix would break ground on a store in Savannah Quarters that December. Never materialized. Now I know someone who works for a construction company that has the contract to build the store and they said it would be at the corner of Pine Barren Road and Pooler Parkway. There is a 400,000 square foot centre called Pooler Towne Centre to be built sometime soon. Now with Walmart coming in, they might have been scared back down Pooler Parkway to Savannah Quarters. As it always is, there will be those who stick to shopping at Publix and those who stick to Walmart.

• 3 months later...

Good news. I'm sure the intent there is to also draw in customers headed home to Rincon.

I seem to remember talk awhile back about Publix building in the Target center on Victory & Skidaway. I don't know where they'd put it, and I'm not sure the demographics of the area would fit a Publix, though. Still waiting on that President St. Shopping center to move dirt across from SRL.

Publix has embraced the urban market of Florida--there are two urban Publix's in Miami Beach and another under construction in downtown Orlando (opening in 08). Don't be surprised to eventually see them build an urban market in the historic core of Savannah as they are already accomplished with such things elsewhere.

To be fair, Publix has always advertised on TV, but has done it primarily during holidays (they have some memorable Christmas ads).

The places you've mentioned would be good spots for new stores. I think Publix has focused most of their GA energies in Atlanta (no shock there), in order to outbuild Kroger. Now that they own the Atlanta market, I'd look for them to take a second look at Savannah. But, with our overall low income, don't look for too many new Publix's to be built.

Publix at Savannah Mall was closed because the center it was in is owned by Armstrong Atlantic State University. They wanted the space for expansion, so they didn't allow Publix to renew its lease.

Publix's replacement store is under construction now in Largo Plaza.

• 1 month later...

Archived