Save the Delta Queen!

tennreb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delta Queen's Final Cruise Scheduled for Late 2008

If something isn't done to save the Delta Queen, she will be making her last cruise in November, 2008. I suppose she could well see another life as a stationary hotel in New Orleans, Memphis or Natchez. I'd much rather see her plying the river as she has always done. Perhaps the petition will see success.

The Sun Herald

Delta Queen's Final Cruise Scheduled for Late 2008

If something isn't done to save the Delta Queen, she will be making her last cruise in November, 2008. I suppose she could well see another life as a stationary hotel in New Orleans, Memphis or Natchez. I'd much rather see her plying the river as she has always done. Perhaps the petition will see success.

The Sun Herald

I agree completely. If the decision is indeed final, I would like to see the Delta Queen preserved in some fashion, perhaps as a hotel or as part of an historic park. Either way, the fire threat remains, but if the boat is stationary, the rules would not apply. Therein may lie the future of this grand old lady of the river. A recent editorial in the Natchez paper suggests its use in Natchez as a hotel or part of the Natchez Historical Park, a multi-faceted park which could well accommodate the Delta Queen. If I had my preference, she would go on sailing as before.

The Natchez Democrat

Natchez Historical Park- National Park Service

• 1 month later...

Ohio Representative Vows to Fight for the Delta Queen

Rep. Steve Chabot of Ohio vows to fight the termination of the Delta Queen's exemption. I hope this receives more than an apathetic eye in Congress this time around. The Delta Queen really is more than just another old steamboat. It's vital to see that she is kept as a living monument to the days of steam power. Seeing it become a hotel or a museum would be an option, but only one which would be second or third-rate at best. Can't we make an exemption for this important piece of our national history?

The Louisville Courier-Journal

Archived