What Is Your Walk Score?

My current house, located in quiet 70 home neighborhood built in the mid 1960s has a 3. However, my office,which is located on the main road where all of big box stores for the area are, got a 77 and I feel significantly better walking in my neighborhood opposed to around my office.

However, the condo community that I want to buy in about 2 years, just off of Man Street (despite people thinking I'm stupid to do that) has a socre of 77.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the website also does not take into account the types of roads to walk on, conditions of sidewalks (if they exist, which they tend not to on roads filled with strip malls and big boxes), or the orientation of roads. it only takes hard distances into account (not even walking distances, but straight line distance).

the website also does not take into account the types of roads to walk on, conditions of sidewalks (if they exist, which they tend not to on roads filled with strip malls and big boxes), or the orientation of roads. it only takes hard distances into account (not even walking distances, but straight line distance).

• 3 weeks later...

wow this has some pretty tough standards, I thought I would be in the 70s but only 54. You must have to be very Urban to score high

I can walk to the basics-shops, grocery, bars and restaurants in about 5 minutes, my office is 13 min walk or a 5 min. bike ride. I guess anything more that a mile is too far for most people but I'm about 1.6 miles to the absolute heart of Dowtown San Diego and walk regularily to Petco Park to take in a Game and walk to the Bay if I feel ambitious.

wow this has some pretty tough standards, I thought I would be in the 70s but only 54. You must have to be very Urban to score high

I can walk to the basics-shops, grocery, bars and restaurants in about 5 minutes, my office is 13 min walk or a 5 min. bike ride. I guess anything more that a mile is too far for most people but I'm about 1.6 miles to the absolute heart of Dowtown San Diego and walk regularily to Petco Park to take in a Game and walk to the Bay if I feel ambitious.

18 for my house in suburban North Raleigh, not far from Creedmoor Road

Family's school (Raleigh Charter HS, just north of downtown) =65

Office (On Cabarrus Street, 4 blocks from new convention center on edge of downtown)= 82

Union Square (Location of State Capital)= 91

Hillsborough Street across from Belltower (NC State Campus)= 83

It is true that this site does not take into consideration type of roads or sidewalks, or lack of them.

22 for me, although I'm thinking that's a bit high actually. Although there is just about everything you could need within 1 - 1.5 miles from our house, including a lot of office buildings, groceries, retail, coffee, movie theater, etc.., it's hard to walk to any of them.

My office scored a 46, and home got a big fat 0.

The home score makes sense... the only thing I could walk to is a gas station, but the walk would be dangerous and, well... why would I walk to get gas?

The office score surprised me. Then I noticed that the places I walk to most often didn't even appear on the site.

Archived