Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tamias6

Parents giving their tots domain names

Parents giving their tots domain names   8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you register a domain name for your little tyke?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

According to this article a small but growing number of parents are registering domain names for their little tykes well before they even old enough to know what a computer is in an attempt to give their kids a head start in establishing a digital identity. Due to the obvious pros and cons of doing this, I'm wondering if any of you would register domain names for your kids.

I'd say it's rather pointless. Pay 20+ years just for the sake of having the name if they ever become something? Pass.

I am constantly amazed at what people will do.

No, there is absolutely no way I'd register a domain name for my kid. If he/she wanted to do it when they were 18, its on them, but I think its pointess, even at 9 bucks a year, to do this.

It's just another sign of Americans losing any bit of common sense. My guess is that the current group of people who are of child bearing age, are products of a life time of brain washing from the corporations and this seems like something important to them.

the only way i'd do anything like that is if my kid (if i have kids) decides on his/her own that he/she wants to start a webpage. since minors can't do it on their own i assume (since i believe a credit card is needed), i'll have to sign off on it. and if that's the case, i'll be damn sure that there's a good reason for it and not just to make some stupid crap. i have my own domain. i can create a sub-domain for the kids if they want one to make their own site and play with web design, but i'll have to approve of anything they put up there or i'll just take it right down without warning.

but buying a domain for a kid who doesn't know what a computer is, nevermind the internet, is just plain stupid.

I'd much rather have a parent invest that ~$10-20 a year in a bank account for the kid than to waste it on a website. Too often we worry about stupid stuff like this and totally forget about more important items, like a college fund, until it's too late.