Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raintree21

Eastway Park name changed to honor fallen CMPD Officers?

Should the park be renamed?   19 members have voted

1. 1. Is renaming the park to honor Sean Clark and Jeff Shelton appropriate?

• Yes, call it Clark-Shelton Memorial Park
    • No, call it Eastway Specialty Park
    • Have a memorial inside of the park instead of changing the name

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

Eastway Specialty park is a much needed park on the east side of town near Eastway and The Plaza. There is currently a petition being circulated in support of changing the parks name in order to honor fallen CMPD Officers Sean Clark and Jeff Shelton. However, some east side leaders say they do not want people to be reminded of the tragic event surrounding their death and think a field or something else inside of the park should be named for them. What are your thoughts about the park in general or the naming of it. The Northeast Park District Advisory Council of the county Park and Recreation Department will meet in September to discuss the matter further.

A website in favor of renaming the park is at http://www.clarksheltonmemorialpark.com/index.html.

Those opposed do not have a website. More information can be found at Charlotte.com.

0819parkplan.gif

I read the poll at Charlotte.com and I must say that I'm in the minority. Overwhelmingly, the consensus is to name the park for the fallen officers.

While I think that this is a great jesture, it isn't beneficial to park & rec or the eastside of Charlotte to name a park after fallen officers. I don't think that anyone wants to have to explain to visitors that the park is named for officers killed in the line of duty. It only gives the impression that the area is unsafe. Why create the stigma. Who wants to move to an area and send their kids to school where the police are gunned down? Whether the area is safe or not is a matter of perception. We all know that perception is reality. Not naming the park after them does not deminish their service or memory. These heroes are to be honored, just not with soccer and baseball fields.

I can really see both sides but residents surrounding the park should have the final say on what the name should be. If they don't want a constant reminder of tragedy on a daily basis I can't blame them. The shooting did not happen at the park anyway.

^I agree with that though Eastway Speciality Park is kind of institutional sounding too. Maybe they should try for something completely different.

Well, I too am in the minority according to the poll. I also feel it is doing the area long-term injustice to name a park after fallen officers. In addition there are many other officers, firefighters, etc. that put their life on the line day in and day out only to have that duty take their life and they aren't rewarded with the same naming benefit.

Here's what I'm wondering though...... why does the original name have "specialty" in it? Why not just call it Eastway Park?

They aren't parks, but what about Scott Futrelle Drive, Nobles Avenue, and Barnette Avenue? They are all named after CMPD Officers who died in the line of duty and the residents in those areas have to see it every day. Nobles and Barnette are back in a neighborhood, but Scott Futrelle is a pretty busy road so all in all, quite a bit of people are exposed to it, whether they know the background or not.

I also think that naming the park after murder victims is a bad move. Urban parks already have enough of a perception problem; adding a permanent reminder of lawlessness to this park's name is not going to help. I would rather see a monument of some kind (like the one near the county courthouse) in a visible, reflective place in the park. Maybe even a fountain named after them, to make the association a little more positive.

They aren't parks, but what about Scott Futrelle Drive, Nobles Avenue, and Barnette Avenue? They are all named after CMPD Officers who died in the line of duty and the residents in those areas have to see it every day. Nobles and Barnette are back in a neighborhood, but Scott Futrelle is a pretty busy road so all in all, quite a bit of people are exposed to it, whether they know the background or not.

Local radio personalities Ace & TJ have already begun creating parks named for the officers in Locust and Lincoln County. Granted these parks won't be nearly as big as the Eastway park, but there is some memorial for them.

I agree that it would be better to have a monument, road, or field in the park named for them instead of the entire park.

Leaders of the petition drive abandoned their effort Thursday after learning the widow of Officer Shelton opposes the idea, preferring that efforts to honor them occur in their hometowns.

The leaders of the petition drive now want to create a memorial park that would honor all fallen officers since support from one of the widow's of the fallen officers was not in place. A location of the new park has not been determined.