Rerouting of 7 city streets from 1-way to 2-way

kayman

Study looks at rerouting 7 one-way streets

The Birmingham City Council is seriously considering the resolution of allowing 7 city streets to be rerouted from one-way to two-way streets. The following streets: 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Avenues North, 13th, 14th, 17th, and 18th Streets North. There idea is to get more people to use all the throughfares through the City Center and increase economic development there.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the part that I do not get, I find just the opposite with one way streets and not just when I'm trying to get to an interstate. I purposely avoid the two way streets because I know theres a high likelyhood of being stuck behind some knucklehead trying to flip a U turn or a delivery truck sitting right in the middle of the road.

I'm in the minority of being against converting one ways to two ways.

I don't think there's any disagreement that three lanes of one way traffic makes a faster through-way. We should distinguish the ease of getting "across" downtown with the ease of getting "around" downtown and reaching specific destinations within the city.

We should also note that UDA's City Center Master Plan proposal did not include all the one-way throughways in the city, just the ones that, based on their research, were doing more harm than good. 21st & 22nd Streets, 5th & 6th Avenues North and 3rd & 4th Avenues South would remain one-way.

A detailed and comprehensive primer on the issue is Walker, G. Wade, et al. "Are We Strangling Ourselves on One-Way Networks?"

This is very good news. Two way streets do so much to help increase pedestrian traffic. Growing up in Birmingham, I always felt the city had too many one ways. Leaving the major arteries (21st & 22nd) one way, is smart, but the others need to be two way.

Archived