Northlake Mall

It's interesting how long most cities seem to have gone without new malls. The first large-scale fully-enclosed regional shopping mall in Canada supposedly since the 1980s(!) is under construction in suburban Toronto. There have been lots of new small malls connected to skyscrapers and subway stations built in Toronto since then, but no large regional malls with department stores et. al. In the last 20 years big-box "power centres" have been built in spades instead.

It seems to be the same everywhere.

Here is the construction timeline:

Start Construction Oct. 8, 2003

Grading Jan. 15, 2004 to Sept. 30, 2004

Utililies May 18, 2004 to Dec. 21, 2004

Foundations March 26, 2004 to Sept. 1, 2004

Steel April 23, 2004 to Sept. 15, 2004

Paving Sept. 23, 2004 to July 20, 2005

Anchor Stores Start Construction/Mid Summer to Fall of 2004

Building Shell June 15, 2004 to Feb. 24, 2005

Grand Opening September 15, 2005

# Abercrombie & Fitch. A destination store targeted to the active campus lifestyle. Rooted in East Coast traditions and Ivy League heritage, the selection combines authentic, vintage-inspired sportswear and effortless style with timeless appeal for men and women. (Closest location: Hickory, N.C.)

I can't believe Charlotte doesn't have an Abercrombie and Fitch store. I've never been in one, but I figured that pretty much every regional mall in the country had one.

I wish they could have found some more interesting anchor stores though. Is it possible to have a mall in NC without some combination of Belk, Dillards, Hechts, Sears or JC Penney? We don't have Rich's-Macy's or Parisian that most other southern states have.

• Like 1

Good thing you guys cleared that up about A&F. Skylinesbest or that Miami-airport-enthusiast-guy are liable to start a new thread on SSP, charging Charlotte with being inferior because it doesn't have an A&F store... or something to that effect. :D

Just before I moved to Raleighwood, I nearly got an apartment literally right down the street from NorthLake Mall, in a new complex called AustonWoods. It was tight!

Good thing you guys cleared that up about A&F. Skylinesbest or that Miami-airport-enthusiast-guy are liable to start a new thread on SSP, charging Charlotte with being inferior because it doesn't have an A&F store... or something to that effect.  :D

Just before I moved to Raleighwood, I nearly got an apartment literally right down the street from NorthLake Mall, in a new complex called AustonWoods. It was tight!

:lol: You're so right! :D I don't mind Skylinesbest, but the Miami-airport-enthusiast-guy is constantly boosting the Miami airport and trashing Charlotte and Charlotte-Douglas airport. He's on just about every forum I read ssp.com, airliners.net, usaviation.com. At least he sometimes comes to the defense of Raleigh's airport.

You guys are right, A&F is listed on the web sites for SouthPark mall and Carolina Place mall. I don't know why they don't list them on the A&F web site. They could loose sales like that.

• Like 1