Northlake Mall

MAH is funny. I've probably seen him brag 20 times about how Miami Beach has multiple locations of certain retailers (The Gap, Sunglass Hut, etc.). I've seen boast I don't know how many times about South Beach's 4 Gaps, but when I checked the Gap's website, there shows only 2. :lol:

New England...I was referring to the Faison connection between SouthPoint and NorthLake. Also if you look at the floor plans and tenet mix of both SouthPoint and Northlake....they are a match. The only difference at this point being Nordstroms....however it is possible that Northlake could see Saks there.

New England...Northlake will be using a lot of brick and steel and glass just like SouthPoint....you won't find much brick at Triangle Town Center.

That's true, but it's not the materials or tenant list that makes the difference for me from the perspective of creating better cities... All these malls require that people drive to them, but at which of these are people more inclined to linger....which becomes more of a destination?

It's like the difference between Birkdale Village and Northcross in a way.

When I'm back in the Triangle people I know prefer to go to Southpointe for the day even though they are 10 miles closer to TTC; the crowds seem to indicate that a lot of other people feel the same way. If I have to go specfically to Belk to buy something, I'll just drive over to Triangle Towne Center (which is 5 miles away and so, more convenient). With friends, if we're looking for something to do, a place to go, and certainly a place to show visitors, and it's a mall, it'll be Southpointe.

In any case, the difference between the outdoor, "Main Street", components of the two malls is what is more striking, and again, in my opinion, what makes Southpointe a better "place" than TTC. A completed "Main Street" at Southpointe was critical to it's overall design and includes high-end stores, restaurants, interactive fountains, coffee and pastry shops, book store, and movies. Even after the enclosed mall closes, the outdoor, Main Street remains vibrant.

At TTC, it seems an afterthought with a focus on individual restaurant buildings. In this vein, Northlake, which won't even build it's "Main Street" as part of the first phase of construction (it doesn't even show up on their plans anymore!) is underestimating the importance of shopping, eating, entertainment districts like Southpointe's "Main Street", Birkdale Village, and even Richmond, VA's two new malls.

Any way...

Does this make any sense?

Edited by New England Native

yes it does...and I do hope they will build the Main St component of NorthLake ASAP...I have heard that it will be built a year or 2 after completion of the main building. Also the Main St at Northlake includes condos above the shops...which even SouthPoint doesnt have that...their Apartments/Condos are across the street from the mall...you have to walk through the sea of parking to get there.

yes it does...and I do hope they will build the Main St component of NorthLake ASAP...I have heard that it will be built a year or 2 after completion of the main building. Also the Main St at Northlake includes condos above the shops...which even SouthPoint doesnt have that...their Apartments/Condos are across the street from the mall...you have to walk through the sea of parking to get there.

Do you have anything that mentions the condos? It's not on any of the plans I have.

Here is an article from the Charlotte Business Journal, where they interview the architect for the Northlake Mall::::

Northlake design task: Make massive mall lively

Ashley M. Gibson

When Northlake Mall opens in September 2005 at Interstate 77 and Reames Road, it will be Taubman Inc.'s first center in North Carolina and the company wants to make a big impression.

Bloomfield Hills, Mich.-based Taubman tapped its lead designer to help conceive and develop the 1.1 million-square-foot mall that will cost $160 million.

Ron Loch has been behind the flow and look of many malls for the nation's second-largest real estate investment trust, whose portfolio consists of about 20 properties -- mostly regional malls, each of some 1 million square feet. So he was a natural for this project. Local developers speak of Loch with admiration and say they are looking forward to seeing his designs for Northlake take form.

Taubman officials recently announced an impressive tenant lineup for Northlake. Retailers that have committed to the mall include Coldwater Creek, Aldo, Ann Taylor, Brighton Collectibles, Brooks Brothers, d.e.m.o. and Charlotte Russe. The anchors: Belk, Dilliard's, Hecht's, Dick's Sporting Goods and AMC Theaters.

Loch recently discussed Northlake with the Charlotte Business Journal. Following are excerpts from that conversation:

Northlake has been pitched as something different for Charlotte. What makes this so from a design perspective?

We wanted to create a shopping experience that is unique and contextual to the Charlotte region. It also must be fresh, enlivening and have a concept that has longevity. The design team was inspired by Charlotte's tradition of textile and furniture mills, along with its museums and galleries.

The design weaves the artistic spirit of the region throughout the mall. This includes a variety of graphic murals in the mall concourse and food court, art-glass bridges, and a "mill wall." The wall is composed of brick and is adjacent to a sloped-wood ceiling and is highlighted with lots of natural light from clerestory windows, reminiscent of a mill.

This mill wall bisects the project from north to south, helping to blur the lines between indoor and outdoor space while visually and physically connecting two outdoor piazzas.

What makes this project stand apart from a typical suburban mall?

As one approaches Northlake Mall, she will be greeted by a beautifully landscaped piazza that has seating surrounding a pop-jet fountain

The piazza will also be a location for special events and holiday decor. Restaurants with outdoor dining will also become a part of this exciting feature.

The entrance has a dramatic two-story glass curtain wall, allowing the outside-to-inside transition to be seamless. This ceremonial entry also features a folded metal "front porch," which is sculptural in design and provides shade for dining or to sit and relax in a rocking chair.

The interior was inspired by museums and galleries, which translated into a beautifully detailed exposed-ceiling structure, painted in soft tones, that complements the retail shops, whose stores become the art, to complete the metaphor.

What have been some of the specific design challenges for dealing with so much square footage and having to accommodate a variety of tenants?

In planning a project of this scale, designing flexibility into the layout is of paramount importance to our leasing department and the tenants they need to accommodate.

We do this by creating a variety of tenant lease depths, and anticipating restaurant locations and other large tenant uses.

From a design point of view, we create a variety of spaces on two levels that flow together, but have different materials and heights that allow for an interesting experience as one shops.

Balance in design is also key, so we must ensure that the architecture does not overwhelm the retailers, but rather, enhance and complement the shopping experience.

Providing many unexpected amenities and experiences also creates interest and reduces the feeling of a large-scale project, and becomes very comfortable, convenient and easy to shop.

Northlake Mall will also be a social experience, providing the community with a gathering space that has a sense of place and provides retail, dining, theater and entertainment

How do you ensure that a project this large will remain viable and fit into the landscape after it has been in place for five, 10 or even 25 years?

Colors, materials and art will reflect not only Lake Norman but the entire region. However, the architectural environment is referential, not a literal design that has a theme and can become outdated quickly.

Because the tenants and merchandise change over time as fashion changes, the mall will always feel fresh.

This is why we stay away from trendy architecture. The building is a framework that enhances the retailer, rather than the architecture trying to be the primary story and focus.

Are there specific design elements for the comfort of shoppers?

Each court on the lower level becomes a special place. All of the courts provide soft seating, but in different varieties.

We have a sport court, which includes three flat-screen televisions, seating with cup holders and bleacher-type seating.

The children's play court features soft-foam sculpture that children can play on, as parents sit comfortably and observe them enjoy the amenity.

The center court features a coffee bar with caf

It was in the Rezoning ...No 2002-110...that the "Village Component include 150 residential units on top of the shops"..also the Village Component will not have any Big Box stores.

Very, very, very cool...

Thanks for the reference. Have you noticed in the approved plan that the new road leading north through the project runs into Alexanderana but doesn't include any improvements north of that (or, significantly) a small connection to Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road?!!!!

• 4 months later...

Northlake Mall to open Sept. 15

That's when Northlake Mall will open, general manager says

LEIGH DYER

Drivers along Interstate 77 in north Mecklenburg have grown curious about the steel form taking shape at Exit 18.

It's the skeleton of Northlake Mall, which is due to open Sept. 15. Just over a year after the groundbreaking, it's about time for an update on what will be Mecklenburg County's fourth regional mall after Eastland, SouthPark and Carolina Place.

Don't hesitate to write that opening date on your calendar in pen, says the mall's recently appointed general manager, Phil Morosco. Owner Taubman Centers Inc. has a history of opening on time, even if a hurricane is raging as it was during a Taubman mall opening in Richmond, Va. "We've been in business 55 years, and we've never missed an opening yet," he said.

The mall's big anchors will be Belk, Hecht's, Dillard's, Dick's Sporting Goods and a 14-screen AMC Theatre. The mall has also announced about 40 other specialty stores, including Pottery Barn, Brooks Brothers and Abercrombie & Fitch.

That's less than a third of the 150 stores the mall expects. Another big batch should be announced soon after Jan. 1, said Meredith Burris Keeler, Northlake's marketing director. Taubman officials say 70 percent of the mall is leased or out for signatures, and inquiries have been made about nearly all of its 1.1 million square feet.

With the steel frame complete, work has begun on the roof. Paving has begun on the mall's parking lot and ring road, and each of the four department stores has started construction. The movie theater begins this week. Improvements to Reames Road are about 85 percent complete, Morosco said.

Developers have slowed down on plans to make the mall a hybrid center -- a traditional enclosed mall combined with a pedestrian-friendly "village" of outdoor shops and restaurants reminiscent of Phillips Place. Morosco said the outdoor component is still in the works, but not until after the enclosed center opens.

"We want to make sure the center is perfect first before we go on to the next challenge," he said.

Keeping with a national trend in newer mall construction, the center will have architecture that's customized to this area, said Keeler. Brick and steel structures and textiles will be used to evoke the area's manufacturing heritage, and the mall will include porches with rocking chairs. "We want to make sure we really speak to Charlotte's history," she said.

For more on the mall, including periodically updated construction photos: www.shopnorthlake.com.

And also in Northlake area news:

hhgregg store to anchor center across I-77 from new Northlake mall

DOUG SMITH/Charlotte Observer

An Indianapolis-based appliance and electronics chain will anchor a shopping center planned across Interstate 77 from Northlake mall.

H.H. Gregg Appliance Inc., whose stores operate under the name hhgregg, will occupy 30,000 square feet in Northlake Village, to be developed within Smith Corners, a hotel-retail-restaurant project at I-77 and W.T. Harris Boulevard.

CENTDEV Properties will seek to rezone about 14 acres for the estimated $20 million development, said Dale Tweedy, a partner in the Cornelius-based firm.

The Northlake Village store, which would open by December 2005 if the City Council approves the zoning change, will be H.H. Gregg's first in the Carolinas.

The privately held chain operates more than 50 stores in five states: Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. Its chief competitors are Best Buy, Circuit City and Sears.

Tweedy said the company also is looking at Concord Mills, Matthews and Pineville as sites for additional hhgregg stores.

The chain, which touts same-day delivery and other customer-friendly service, caters to female shoppers between the ages of 28 and 52, he said.

Tweedy sees hhgregg as a good fit at the intersection, because it will complement the major furniture retailers clustered in Smith Corners.

The remaining shopping center space in 130,000-square-foot Northlake Village likely will attract household furnishings, furniture accessories and related retailers, he said.

Tweedy said the developers have talked with potential tenants interested in about 20,000 square feet each.

Northlake Village, which includes two restaurant development parcels, would be about half the size of Cotswold Village Shops in south Charlotte. The planned center's site is zoned for industrial use but is surrounded by retail at 90-acre Smith Corners, Tweedy said.

Charlotte real estate experts believe the area around Northlake mall will become the shopping hub of north Mecklenburg.

The 1.1-million-square-foot mall is under construction and due to open in September 2005 at I-77 and Reames Road.

Last week, the owners of Perimeter Woods business park, opposite the mall on Reames Road, disclosed plans to develop 68 vacant acres as a 610,000-square-foot mix of stores, homes and offices.

That project also would be across Reames from NorthCrest, a 250,000-square- foot shopping center beside Northlake mall.

"The whole area is booming -- it's sort of ground zero for retail," Tweedy said. "Interstate 485 is going to drop in just north of Smith Corners, making it easy to get there from eastern and western locations."

CENTDEV has the shopping center site under contract for purchase at an undisclosed price.

Tweedy said it expects to use Charlotte's DMR Architecture as project architect. Core Properties is handling leasing for the developers. No general contractor has been named.

H.H. Gregg, founded in 1955, is a fourth-generation family-owned company. Its stores sell, deliver and install major name-brand home appliances, large-tube and wide-screen digital TVs and home theatre audio systems.

Officials couldn't be reached Monday for specifics about the planned Charlotte area stores.

A 35,000-square-foot Columbus, Ga., store, to open this month, is expected to employ 40 to 50 people, a spokesperson told the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

• 1 month later...

Wow... Super Target

Well, look at Raleigh. I'm glad we're NOT at where they are with their pace on Super Targets and Super Wal-Marts... Its just an infest. I think they have 4 or 5 Super Targets in the Triangle and maybe more super Wal-Marts. Charlotte has less and i'm glad that we're staying with Regular Targets (except Moresville)... but wow yeah 2 new possible Super Targets on top of the midtown Target.

Wow... Super Target

Well, look at Raleigh.  I'm glad we're NOT at where they are with their pace on Super Targets and Super Wal-Marts... Its just an infest.  I think they have 4 or 5 Super Targets in the Triangle and maybe more super Wal-Marts.  Charlotte has less and i'm glad that we're staying with Regular Targets (except Moresville)... but wow yeah 2 new possible Super Targets on top of the midtown Target.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just what the city needs, more shopping malls. :angry: