Northlake Mall

I wish they would have remained with the old look for SP too.    But the white brick was probably too expensive a building material to use these days however.  The more garish colored artificial stucco isn't exactly my cup of tea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That glazed brick is really expensive. It's a good material though; worth every penny. How many 35 year old malls have held up as well as SouthPark did? That's due in part to having good building materials like the glazed brick.

In Dallas, there's mall that's a lot like SouthPark called NorthPark that held on to its Modernist exterior and actually enhanced it over the years. One reason that that happened though is becaue the developer's family remains involved in the day to day operation of NorthPark, and they are big supporters of Modern arts and architecture.

That glazed brick is really expensive.  It's a good material though; worth every penny.  How many 35 year old malls have held up as well as SouthPark did?  That's due in part to having good building materials like the glazed brick.

In Dallas, there's mall that's a lot like SouthPark called NorthPark that held on to its Modernist exterior and actually enhanced it over the years.  One reason that that happened though is becaue the developer's family remains involved in the day to day operation of NorthPark, and they are big supporters of Modern arts and architecture.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow it is really similar to SouthPark's old style! They even have NorthPark Gold!!!

wow it is really similar to SouthPark's old style!  They even have NorthPark Gold!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In a lot of ways, it was very similar to the old SouthPark.

One of the first malls I knew by name when I was in elementary school was NorthPark Center. I learned about in a '60s-era modern art book and it was (and still is) a gleaming white beacon of Modernism. I remember thinking it was one of the coolest buildings I'd ever seen.

I've never been to NorthPark, or Dallas for that matter, but I always wanted to visit this place that seemed to me like the ultimate expression of "real' Modern architecture in a retail concept. Someday I will.

From the start, NorthPark Center has been committed to the showing and appreciation of modern art. In an age where museums are being refashioned as

There are even more architectural similarities between SouthPark and NorthPark.

Northpark still has the glass panels that allow light to come in over the stores on the inside of the mall. Around the entrance to each store is a brick facade. Does SouthPark still retain those elements?

I lived in Charlotte until 1990 and then 12 long years in Dallas. I used to visit NorthPark as a cure for missing Charlotte. I can't prove it; however, I am postive that the SouthPark architects used NorthPark as a model.

BTW, NorthPark is undergoing a major expansion from 1.2 million sq feet to 2.3 million sq feet. You can see the details at Northpark Center.

And those white glazed brick at SouthPark were used because they are self-cleaning.

There are even more architectural similarities between SouthPark and NorthPark.

Northpark still has the glass panels that allow light to come in over the stores on the inside of the mall.  Around the entrance to each store is a brick facade.  Does SouthPark still retain those elements? 

I lived in Charlotte until 1990 and then 12 long years in Dallas.  I used to visit NorthPark as a cure for missing Charlotte.  I can't prove it; however, I am postive that the SouthPark architects used NorthPark as a model.

BTW, NorthPark is undergoing a major expansion from 1.2 million sq feet to 2.3 million sq feet.  You can see the details at Northpark Center.

And those white glazed brick at SouthPark were used because they are self-cleaning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the link, UrbanLifter. Unfortunately, the glass transoms have been eliminated at most of SouthPark's stores. I think you're right about SouthPark being based on NorthPark: the similarites are sometimes eerie.

opening_day_1965.jpg

NorthPark's opening day in 1965

originalspark9pt.png

SouthPark's opening day in 1970

'tis eerie. I would not be surpirsed if SouthPark was modeled after NorthPark. Also eerie (i still think) that they both use 'Gold'. (SouthPark Gold, NorthPark gold)...

However, at SouthPark the windows have been tinted or shut off (Dillard's) or totally gone b/c the store has been remodeled (Belk).

^ I like the pics of the mall, if not the department store designs. I can't believe Hecht's is actually using real windows! :)

If I can be encouraged by something being different on this project, that would be it.

'tis eerie.  I would not be surpirsed if SouthPark was modeled after NorthPark.  Also eerie (i still think) that they both use 'Gold'. (SouthPark Gold, NorthPark gold)...

However, at SouthPark the windows have been tinted or shut off (Dillard's) or totally gone b/c the store has been remodeled (Belk).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SouthPark was such a missed oppurtunity. It's a shame when good architecture isn't "pretty" enough for the modern age.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh Lord, this, CMS just starting back up, and endless road construction over there.  I predict legendary traffic jams in that part of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree... and with 485 opening to oakdale, the surface roads around the mall will also be packed with those drivers to get from 485 to 77... and then of course a year later when it does open to 77... it'll be a perfect storm for 77 north of charlotte.

the only positive influence on traffic is that afternoon commuters back to the towns may choose to the stop at the mall to wait out traffic, which might have a marginally positive effect on the traffic.

i agree... and with 485 opening to oakdale, the surface roads around the mall will also be packed with those drivers to get from 485 to 77... and then of course a year later when it does open to 77... it'll be a perfect storm for 77 north of charlotte.

the only positive influence on traffic is that afternoon commuters back to the towns may choose to the stop at the mall to wait out traffic, which might have a marginally positive effect on the traffic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Say Hello to Southern Leg of 485 II.

This is exactly how the whole stretch of 485 from 77 to Providence started...wasn't Carolina Place one of (or the first) thing on 485 down there?

I work right by the new mall and I am not looking forward to its grand opening. I can't wait to fight all the traffic leaving work. :(

Although it will be convenient to drive over there during lunch for Christmas shopping, assuming it doesn't take me 20 minutes to drive 2 miles!

Are they adding a new exit on 77 around there? I heard there was going to be an exit 19.

Say Hello to Southern Leg of 485 II.

This is exactly how the whole stretch of 485 from 77 to Providence started...wasn't Carolina Place one of (or the first) thing on 485 down there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol. let's see how the northern towns feel when it is clogged in 5 years, and the southern towns vote to delay widening until 2050. :)

Are they adding a new exit on 77 around there? I heard there was going to be an exit 19.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the only new exit planned for I-77 North is between exit 30 and exit 33. This is well away from that area. Generally the feds do not like to place exits within a mile of each other.

This image says it all. Seven lanes of traffic suddenly narrowing to two...and at a bridge and curve, no less. The sheer stupidity of CDOT, NCDOT, and the Planning Commission never ceases to amaze me. I'd love to blame the developer, but who can blame them when all they did was what they were told they had to do.

fox103qz.jpg

Don't you just fear for the poor twit that actually tries to use the bike lane on this stretch?

Edited by Miesian Corners