Northlake Mall

When they originally announced the mall, Taubman officials said it would include an open-air component with shops and restaurants reminiscent of Phillips Place, but Wednesday officials said they are holding off until the enclosed mall is finished before developing a timetable for the outdoor part.

From today's paper

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12019904.htm

This image says it all.  Seven lanes of traffic suddenly narrowing to two...and at a bridge and curve, no less.  The sheer stupidity of CDOT, NCDOT, and the Planning Commission never ceases to amaze me.  I'd love to blame the developer, but who can blame them when all they did was what they were told they had to do.

fox103qz.jpg

Don't you just fear for the poor twit that actually tries to use the bike lane on this stretch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

which road is that? that isn't the new stretch of harris, is it?

This image says it all.  Seven lanes of traffic suddenly narrowing to two...and at a bridge and curve, no less.  The sheer stupidity of CDOT, NCDOT, and the Planning Commission never ceases to amaze me.  I'd love to blame the developer, but who can blame them when all they did was what they were told they had to do.

fox103qz.jpg

Don't you just fear for the poor twit that actually tries to use the bike lane on this stretch?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct me if I'm wrong - but it looks more like two-lanes converging into 1 and 1 lane opening up to 5. That's a bit less drastic than 7 lanes going down to 2.

which road is that? that isn't the new stretch of harris, is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That Road is Reames Road South coming up to the intersection of West WT Harris Blvd (formerly knon as Vance Road to the west and Reames Road to the east until I-77 where it would become Harris)

Yeah, like trying to put toothpaste back into the tube.

At least they finally realized the lunacy of this plan and will be adding another lane from 485 to exit 23 (Gilead Rd.) Unfortunately Charlotte had to pay for this extra lane with local funds. (About $10M). The work should be completed by November.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently relocated here to Charlotte from upstate NY (Rochester). I have lived in a number of places and Charlotte is by far the best place I have ever lived. I grew up in the suburbs of DC (Reston, VA), then moved to Manhattan (like so many suburban DC kids who want to see a "real" city). Then from there moved to Philly for a while, then Chicago, then Rochester, and now Charlotte. I'm older now (26 yrs old may not seem old to some but it's old to me lol) and have 2 children so I thought it was time to settle down. After spending all those winters in Chicago and then the brutal tundra they call upstate NY, I knew that no matter what city I moved to, it HAD to be in the south as I cannot take anymore snow. Yes I realize it snows in Charlotte, but coming from Rochester where the winter last 9 months and snow is measured in feet, I can deal with an inch of snow here or there B) .

I must say that I LOVE Charlotte. It has such an incredible climate, and so many jobs!! I am a software engineer at Duke now (in the old Wachovia building on 400 s tryon). I also like the fact that there is so much development going on in Charlotte, everything feels like it was built within the last 15 years; which is alot like home for me considering that most of northern VA was indeed built within the last 15 years.

I thought I'd give a little bio before as this is my first post. Anywho, onto the question :D

I purchased a home in north Charlotte right near where Harris Blvd meets Mt-Holley - Huntersville Rd. It is a stone's throw so to speak from the new Northlake Mall due to open in September. Is there a general name for that area?? When I tell people I live near Northlake Mall most will simply give a blank stare as though I'm speaking greek. Will this area simply pick up the knickname "Northlake" (such as Southpark or University)?? My guess is that most of this land was annexed by the city not too long ago and was probably unincorporated for many years. I can see the "Charlotte city limits" sign right up the street on Mt-Holley-Huntersville Rd. I was reading about the proposed North Corridor commuter rail (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Rapid+Transit+Planning/North+Corridor/Home.htm) that will have a station right off of exit 18 on I-77 so I would imagine that this area will become much more populated within the next 5 years.

Interesting question.....the area for the most part really is too new to have a universally accepted name. Most people I belive refer to it as Harris Blvd. and I-77. However, it is very close to the community of Derita (which is now in Charlotte's incorporated area) However, Derita has a slightly impoverished perception, so it seems unlikely that new residents will embrace the name.

I do believe that it will become known as NorthLake, as many of the new complimentary retail developments have adopted the NorthLake moniker as well. Odd that it is not really near a lake, and certainly not north of the closest one.

I would still call Northlake mall part of the University Area. I agree, though, that as everything gets built up it will get its own name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CMPD just moved their University City divison next to Northlake Mall area, saying that the new location will be centralized as growth moved westward.

Welcome to Charlotte and UP ilektronik!! Glad you enjoy our city.

I definitely DO NOT consider NorthLake part of the University area. University area is northeast, NL is northwest.

I think that some people are already calling that area NorthLake. That name will grow and in time it will be a well known part of Charlotte.

I would still call Northlake mall part of the University Area. I agree, though, that as everything gets built up it will get its own name.

I guess it's called north lake because the lake is north, not because it's north of the lake. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope that isn't the case. I am in a local band and we practice in the University Area (right near University City Blvd and Mallard Creek Church). On a GOOD day it takes me 35 minutes to get there. I can get to work (uptown) in less time that it takes me to get to the University area. I think anything west of Statesville should be considered it's own area.

I hope that isn't the case. I am in a local band and we practice in the University Area (right near University City Blvd and Mallard Creek Church). On a GOOD day it takes me 35 minutes to get there. I can get to work (uptown) in less time that it takes me to get to the University area. I think anything west of Statesville should be considered it's own area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off topic , but what kind of music do you guys play? Cover band or original material?

Edited by Seeker