Northlake Mall

What is going to be the truly scary thing will be the traffic on Harris and 77 for the next while since 485 won't be finished.  I think I will stay away for awhile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too bad for me--I work at Harris and 77. :( I'm biding my time until September.

Isn't Vance Road Extention all known as West W.T. Harris Blvd now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The extension hasn't been built yet. But the name is probably just a place holder for now. I didn't know the existing part had been renamed Harris Blvd up to where it ends today. It makes sence since they have consistantly renamed it as it was build mainly by connecting more roads.

Some older names for Harris Blvd. have been Rhemes Rd (sp), Newell-Hickory Grove Rd, and Delta Rd. They are all part of Harris now.

I would like to see Harris Blvd. make a full urban loop around the city. See my idea below. And, while they were at it they could add light rail around the whole loop and some greenways. The light rail would stop at all major locations including UNCC, University Research Park, Metrolina Expo, Northlake Mall, Charlotte/Douglas Air, old Charlotte Coliseum, Southpark Mall and Eastland Mall. My proposed loop would run on current roadways in Charlotte including Billy Graham Pkwy and Harris Blvd. 40% of the new loop would have to be constructed. I think it would be a great addition to Charlotte.post-4402-1122515336_thumb.jpg

they are basically doing that... only the western part from northlake to billy graham is called Fred Alexander parkway. There are also plans to connect harris to village lake drive to at least connect to monroe, the circumferential route would be idlewild to fairview to tyvola to billy graham to match your plans.

they are basically doing that... only the western part from northlake to billy graham is called Fred Alexander parkway.  There are also plans to connect harris to village lake drive to at least connect to monroe, the circumferential route would be idlewild to fairview to tyvola to billy graham to match your plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's really interesting, I didn't know that about Harris Blvd and about Fred Alexander

Charlotte 5

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

the Vance Road Extension to 73, Fred Alexander Blvd and many many others are on the thoroughfare plan map.

http://www.mumpo.org/PDFs/ThoroughfarePlan2005_v01.pdf

Northlake's area is the obvious choice for a regional mall, as it is the crossroad of harris, vance, alexander, 485, and 77, which are all planned to be major aspects of the thoroughfare plan. There will be many more options for cars compared to any other malls in the area.

the Vance Road Extension to 73, Fred Alexander Blvd and many many others are on the thoroughfare plan map. 

http://www.mumpo.org/PDFs/ThoroughfarePlan2005_v01.pdf

Northlake's area is the obvious choice for a regional mall, as it is the crossroad of harris, vance, alexander, 485, and 77, which are all planned to be major aspects of the thoroughfare plan.  There will be many more options for cars compared to any other malls in the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've never seen that map, thanks for that

So Harris Blvd is just going to dead end at some road up there till they further extend it? If that's the case then that's going to be a REAL BAD traffic problem! You're going to have all these cars just going all the same way till they hit 77. are there any plans to extend harris beyond where it is currently dead ending?

So Harris Blvd is just going to dead end at some road up there till they further extend it? If that's the case then that's going to be a REAL BAD traffic problem! You're going to have all these cars just going all the same way till they hit 77. are there any plans to extend harris beyond where it is currently dead ending?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um, read two posts up... all the plans for roads in the area are outlined.

As far as it being bad traffic before the vance road extension is built, i don't think so. H'ville is pretty rural that far west, so most traffic will more likely just be taking Mt Holly-Huntersville west, 77 north or the existing roads back down to charlotte to the east and south.

FYI, Northlake already has commitments for 93% of its space - a good figure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really? I would've thought that would be a bad figure with about a month to go before opening..you'd think they'd need to have 100% leased at opening. (Who wants to walk into a mall and see boards covering a store space)

Really?  I would've thought that would be a bad figure with about a month to go before opening..you'd think they'd need to have 100% leased at opening.  (Who wants to walk into a mall and see boards covering a store space)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm...it's not a bad figure when you consider that Moody's lists Charlotte as the 2nd weakest retail market in the U.S.

um, read two posts up... all the plans for roads in the area are outlined.

As far as it being bad traffic before the vance road extension is built, i don't think so.  H'ville is pretty rural that far west, so most traffic will more likely just be taking Mt Holly-Huntersville west, 77 north or the existing roads back down to charlotte to the east and south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is by design. Huntersville has zoned it to keep out starter houses and sprawl. The contrast to the other side of the road (Charlotte) is quite dramatic.

One of the worst planning mistakes that Charlotte has made in the last few years is to approve this mall. Every urban planner will tell you it is bad for the area and also bad for Charlotte as it is going to keep retail from showing up in the downtown area. Any store that would consider locating in the DT loop is going to have to consider competition from this mall now as it is only about 10 minutes away from DT. Timewise it is closer than Eastland, Southpark and Carolina Place. Close enough to kill a lot of potential retail that might locate closer to the center city.

Umm...it's not a bad figure when you consider that Moody's lists Charlotte as the 2nd weakest retail market in the U.S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Learn something new everyday....do they give reasoning for our retail weakness or just say we are?

Are we saturated? Not populated enough? Don't care about shopping?

Without referring directly to the study, which I haven't read,  I think it's referring to potential future retail opputunities. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

precisely Steven, you're on the money again. It's a case of supply, including all future developments in the pipeline, outstripping forecasted demand.

FYI, North Mecklenburg High School Marching Band is selling tickets for a Hecht's preview day, September 13 from 9am to 9:30pm. They are $5 each and only ticketholders will be allowed in. There are supposed to be special items and special prices for this day.

I saw a sign yesterday that the aforementioned NorthLake Village is the name for the previously unnamed group of stores east of 77 from the mall, where Boyles and all those furniture stores and hotels are now. They are currently building the HH Gregg in the middle of it; I would say the frame is about 75% finished.

Unfortunately because different pieces of this shopping center have been added at different times, all the buildings look haphazard. The newest section, with Quizno's and Azteca, has entrances that face the middle (where HH Gregg will be), leaving quite an ugly view to the road, but some other portions have entrances that face Statesville Rd.

Ultimately I think it will be like that grouping of stores across 85 from Concord Mills, where BJ's and Garden Ridge are, but not as large.

Edited by f0xym0p