Northlake Mall

I saw a sign yesterday that the aforementioned NorthLake Village is the name for the previously unnamed group of stores east of 77 from the mall, where Boyles and all those furniture stores and hotels are now. They are currently building the HH Gregg in the middle of it; I would say the frame is about 75% finished.

Unfortunately because different pieces of this shopping center have been added at different times, all the buildings look haphazard. The newest section, with Quizno's and Azteca, has entrances that face the middle (where HH Gregg will be), leaving quite an ugly view to the road, but some other portions have entrances that face Statesville Rd.

Ultimately I think it will be like that grouping of stores across 85 from Concord Mills, where BJ's and Garden Ridge are, but not as large.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is HH Gregg?

EDIT:

I just answered my own question. However, I see no mention of that site on their website??

http://www.hhgregg.com/dynamic.asp?did=340

Edited by ilektronik

what is HH Gregg?

EDIT:

I just answered my own question. However, I see no mention of that site on their website??

http://www.hhgregg.com/dynamic.asp?did=340

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure why it isn't on their website, but the Charlotte Observer reported that it was being built there. I believe the article was posted in this thread a few pages back.

I saw a sign yesterday that the aforementioned NorthLake Village is the name for the previously unnamed group of stores east of 77 from the mall, where Boyles and all those furniture stores and hotels are now. They are currently building the HH Gregg in the middle of it; I would say the frame is about 75% finished.

Unfortunately because different pieces of this shopping center have been added at different times, all the buildings look haphazard. The newest section, with Quizno's and Azteca, has entrances that face the middle (where HH Gregg will be), leaving quite an ugly view to the road, but some other portions have entrances that face Statesville Rd.

Ultimately I think it will be like that grouping of stores across 85 from Concord Mills, where BJ's and Garden Ridge are, but not as large.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah it will probably be like that or Carolina Place Parkway

The Observer has an article today about the mall: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv...le/12364019.htm

A children's play area where parents can watch kids playing on soft sculptures. One parent-friendly feature: a single entrance/exit so kids can be monitored.

A sports court, a first for a Taubman mall. Soft seating and bleachers face two 42-inch flat-screen TVs tuned to ESPN and Speed Street. A nearby stand offers weary shoppers soft pretzels.

Soft seating throughout. Opportunities to take a load off, plus abundant natural light, should relieve mall fatigue.

Nice finishes such as wood trim and granite on store fronts to delight the eye. Carolina references decorate the frosted glass on bridges over the lower level -- the state tree, bird, reptile and even insect.

Aside from the retailers, this mall seems a lot like International Plaza in Tampa. At one point, they even had something very similar to the sports court, but closed it down due to lack of use.

Don't know if there is something wrong with that map, but there are sure a lot of empty stores in that mall (names don't come up when you roll over them).

I like how there is a store named after SouthPark Mall in there (SouthPark Optical at Northlake) :lol:

Edited by jb4563

Based on a some of the banter on this board, it seems Northlake has a lot of skeptics. I predict that the mall will do well....most of Taubman's projects are well thought out and they seem to be much more cautious in their development strategy than most others (i.e., they don't build "crap"). After the initial hoopla dies down, the Christmas shopping season should be a decent barometer for how the mall will perform long term.

It will also be interesting to see if and how much sales it pulls from Birkdale (likely), Concord Mills (possible) and SouthPark (unlikely).

Based on a some of the banter on this board, it seems Northlake has a lot of skeptics.  I predict that the mall will do well....most of Taubman's projects are well thought out and they seem to be much more cautious in their development strategy than most others (i.e., they don't build "crap").  After the initial hoopla dies down, the Christmas shopping season should be a decent barometer for how the mall will perform long term. 

It will also be interesting to see if and how much sales it pulls from Birkdale (likely), Concord Mills (possible) and SouthPark (unlikely).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it will affect Birkdale too much. Yes, they both are in the lake area and both have similar stores but Birkdale is a different type of center. Plus, keep in mind they are 7 exits apart.

I don't think it will affect Birkdale too much.  Yes, they both are in the lake area and both have similar stores but Birkdale is a different type of center.  Plus, keep in mind they are 7 exits apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

true, but there will be some store redundancies - Dick's, Gap, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, American Eagle, Lane Bryant, Bath & Body Works, Gymboree)

Northlake can't help but affect Birkdale.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if Birkdale loses some tenants, I'd guess that they could be easily replaced with restaurants and neighborhood-type stores. Birkdale is such a nice place that I'd think that it could be a thriving entertainment/dining place like the Irvine Spectrum in Orange County, CA is, even if it loses some stores.