Northlake Mall

I don't care about clothing brands, it's how the clothes look on me that's important. What the label says inside the shirt really means nothing to me...

"upscale" is simply an illusion created by design teams to make a person feel justified in spending $150 for a shirt....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not exactly.

The reason I shop at Nordstrom and will shop at Neiman Marcus is because I can be assured that the clothes are fashionable, the fit is excellent (or can be made excellent through alterations) the service is above board and the return policy is liberal and fair. I can't get that from Wal-Mart.

Disclaimer: The following is inspired by your "upscale" crack :( but meant not to be offensive to you or anyone reading this specifically because I don't know any of you personally and could care less how you spend your money

The thing I find hilarious is that while most people will strain to make car payments just to have an overpriced vehicle with somebody's name or logo on it (or waste money eating out and getting fatter at some crappy casul dining chain that tastes like Shoney's but has ohmygod wow a bar) but conversely won't spend well for things for themselves or their home that are high quality because they're quote unquote "not into logos or brands". :huh:

Yet when other people have nice homes or dress well, they're jealous.

The reason those people look classy or live classy is because they (many times) paid a little more and took a little more pride in what they were selecting. You dont't need upscale stores to do this, but it saves a lot of time an enrgy that you can devote to doing things other than shopping

Okay I'm done

There will always be people who spend alot of money on unneccesary things simply b/c they want to be fashionable or cool or whatnot. This is in relation to those people who drive the overpriced cars, eat at certain restaurants, only shop at certain stores, or buy certain brands of clothing. Think of all of the other things you could buy with that $200 you just spent on 1 shirt. I don't know, I just don't see the point, but people are free to do with their money what they want. I'd much rather save up for a really nice vacation, emergencies, or retirement then waste money on trying to create an image for myself....

lol ok back to Northlake Mall please....

Edited by NCMike1981

The Huntersville paper has a big multipage flyer for the mall.  One of the things they are offering is a free community breakfast on opening day and a free gift for the first 2000 peeps that walk in the door.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice. Taubman's great at local marketing. They'll probaly offer gifts to visiting tourists from more than 50 miles away at Northlake like they do in their other malls as well.

Other features of the mall listed in the "Official guide to Northlake Mall"

• Coffee Court - A subline setting for relaxing with a cup of coffee and light snacks.
  • E-Bulletins - You can sign up at their website for some more spam. :P
  • Family Restrooms and Family Elevator
  • Free Wi-Fi Access - This is a pretty nice benefit
  • Coca Cola Sports Court - Watch sporting events in a big comfy chair
  • Looney Tunes Play Area - Good place to deposit your kiddies
  • Kid's Food Court Activity Area - Another place to deposit the kiddies.

I should note they royally screwed up Huntersville-Mt. Holly Road to accomidate the new mall. There is a big stop sign on the road now that didn't used to be there, where Alexander Rama Rd hits the road. I predict there are going to be a lot of accidents here because in true NCDOT fashion it was done on the cheap and people are slamming on brakes when they come to this poorly designed intersection. You have to make a 270 degree turn :blink:

The article made note they put a lot of parking on the second story of the mall because mall shoppers are too lazy, even when escallators will effortlessly haul their fat asses up to the 2nd floor, to go upstairs when all the parking is on the first floor. (ok I paraphrased that. :lol: ) Also they built the roads to minimize the amount of walking peeps have to do to get inside the place. What is wrong with this scenario? Why are we still building places like this?

Anyway the schedule is this on Opening day

• 8am - free breakfast and free gifts to first 2000
  • 9am - doors open again (not sure what to make of this, maybe breakfast is in the parking lot
  • 9:40am - Opening ceremonies
  • 10am - Stores open

I should go to get some stock photos of the salivating dogs. :whistling:

They should have done a roundabout at Alexanderana & MH-H road instead. And the 2nd story parking lot, most malls have that, it's just the land is raised.. Carolina Place has it and Eastland has it on its backside and SouthPark is one story for the main mall level but the underground enterances are lowered and the rest can be considered raised.

I can't believe y'all missed the soft opening of Belk on Saturday. A very odd concept, they opened the store for four hours as a test....without telling anyone. The only way I knew is because I have a friend who works at corporate.

It's a mall. It's a Belk. Both just as homogenous as I expected. Could have been Anywhere USA. Yawn.

I like the pretty colors that change on the front of the store. Ooooh pretty  :P

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A2, you're too twisted for color tv.

ilektronik, you're exactly right. Why would anything original ever go over in a suburban shopping mall? Give us the same staid, boring, tired monopolistic chains we can get in any city in these United States. God-forbid we ever want anything different.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Has anyone discussed on this thread about how Northlake (10 minutes) further hurts uptown's chances of gaining any substantial retail? Forgive me if this has already been brought up. I wonder how everyone views this new shopping center. Is it good for the region, can we have too many malls? Somehow, suburban sprawl keeps wringing in my ears. btw, did the ok on this mall fall under the jurisdiction of the city or the county?

Has anyone discussed on this thread about how Northlake (10 minutes) further hurts uptown's chances of gaining any substantial retail?  Forgive me if this has already been brought up.  I wonder how everyone views this new shopping center.  Is it good for the region, can we have too many malls?  Somehow, suburban sprawl keeps wringing in my ears.  btw, did the ok on this mall fall under the jurisdiction of the city or the county?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the city approved it, basically trying to get a regional mall in its jurisdiction as soon as possible to stop the drain of sales tax money from north charlotte/north meck to concord mills. they were too lenient with some things as a result of that.

it'll probably further hurt downtown's chances for mall-like shopping, but southpark is closer than northlake in physical distance (i agree northlake is currently closer in travel time, but that changes with traffic), and its expansion was and would prevent that type of retail growth downtown with or without northlake.

much of these discussions though are way back in this thread (and possibly some others) from when it was first proposed.

ilektronik, you're exactly right.  Why would anything original ever go over in a suburban shopping mall?  Give us the same staid, boring, tired monopolistic chains we can get in any city in these United States.  God-forbid we ever want anything different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want something unique and different as much as the next person. I'm just saying that you are looking in the wrong medium. Malls are the paradigm of cookie-cutter America.

Give me a downtown street dotted with mom & pop joints anyday over a mall.

I want something unique and different as much as the next person. I'm just saying that you are looking in the wrong medium. Malls are the paradigm of cookie-cutter America.

Give me a downtown street dotted with mom & pop joints anyday over a mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

amen to that. I think we will see more Boutiques and Hopefully (fingers crossed), One major retailer commit to the Center City (IMO Saks), simply because the resident count of Uptown will warrent it. It is all economics. The median income of Uptown residents is already right up there with SP and South Charlotte. When you continue to add more people with more money, it falls on the radar of major retailers. Granted I do think that Northlake and especially SP has been the death of major retail in downtown.

It will come though.

"Patience is a Virtue"

A2

Edited by A219724