Northlake Mall

went to Nlake this weekend. Finally ! I have to say I was very impressed. It is definately a nice, modern mall. I think this will be a huge catalyst in that area of town for more retail development.

Here is my concern though:

Upon leaving the mall I took Nlake Pkwy to Reames Road. What gives???

It is a tiny two lane COUNTRY road. I saw cows and goats on a pasture less than 1/2 mile away from the pkwy!

Are they planning on widening this already over burdened road?

If not, I would be very concerned about the traffice situation until this fixed.

A2

B)

Edited by A219724

Upon leaving the mall I took Nlake Pkwy to Reames Road. What gives???

It is a tiny two lane COUNTRY road. I saw cows and goats on a pasture less than 1/2 mile away from the pkwy!

Are they planning on widening this already over burdened road?

If not, I would be very concerned about the traffice situation until this fixed.

Are you talking about the Reames Rd that connects Harris to Sunset and parallels I-77? I don't think that road serves anyone except for the businesses and residences that are located off that road and I've never seen any traffic backups on it as it basically doesn't go anywhere.

There are goats, cows and llamas all over North Mecklenburg. There is a rather locally well known lllama here in Huntersville named Dolly. (Dolly Llama, haha) Dolly can normally be seen tending to the sheep on McCoy Rd. There is a billy goat that lives somewhere near my street as he comes for a visit every so often and does a number on the landscaping on the street. He's particularly fond of Petunias.

Did you notice the lama farm about a mile south of the mall??? i always think of Napoleon Dynamite when I pass that.

:lol:

Are you talking about the Reames Rd that connects Harris to Sunset and parallels I-77? I don't think that road serves anyone except for the businesses and residences that are located off that road and I've never seen any traffic backups on it as it basically doesn't go anywhere.

Do you think that Northlake's periphery will be like Pineville-Matthews since we now have the Mall off that exit MB?

I think with the passing of time the pastures will be gobbled up by developers and soon replaced with strip centers and restraunts. I can't see that stretch of Reames Road staying Rural though. It is too close in proximity to the mall and 77, those that own around their are just waiting for the right price to sell out.

JMHO.

A2

Edited by A219724

well, a difference between pineville and northlake is that northlake has 2 freeway interchanges, and it is a right turn into the mall from the main freeway (77).

there is some risk, though, with only one major surface road, harris blvd, that it could be as horrible as 51 in pineville... i think northlake should have been required to pay for a bridge across 77 to create a bypass for harris.

First trip to NorthLake yesterday -- Overall, it was okay, but nothing that impressive. Two disappointments -- the lower level (with the exception of maybe 2 stores) was all tween and teenager stores. I mean, how much of the same stuff do you need? It was AEO, then Abercrombie, then Hollister, then Aeropostale, then Charlotte Russe, then Delia's, then Limited TOO, then PacSun, then Claire's Boutique, then Libby Liu, then Hot Topic etc. etc. (it bugs me that they list these under women's apparel or men's apparel when its really just high-schoolers that wear that stuff). Second was the traffic pattern on exit. The cars were backed up trying to go left at the light in front of Belk for a good 20 minutes after mall closing time. It was just one lane.

Good variety of shoe stores though. ^_^

I agree w/ the teen aspect of the mall. It seemed as that was the largest demographic there over the weekend too. A huge teen hang out. I still give the mall a thumbs up overall.

Hopefully they will fix the exit, I was stuck in that jam until I realized I could exit through the back by Dillards and hit Nlake pkwy to Reames Road. It seemed crazy no one was taking that exit. Maybe no one realizes it is there as an alternate route.

A2

I agree w/ the teen aspect of the mall. It seemed as that was the largest demographic there over the weekend too. A huge teen hang out. I still give the mall a thumbs up overall.

Hopefully they will fix the exit, I was stuck in that jam until I realized I could exit through the back by Dillards and hit Nlake pkwy to Reames Road. It seemed crazy no one was taking that exit. Maybe no one realizes it is there as an alternate route.

A2

It was fun bypassing all the cars that were turning onto Harris since i went back on Northlake parkway :lol:

the lower level (with the exception of maybe 2 stores) was all tween and teenager stores. I mean, how much of the same stuff do you need? It was AEO, then Abercrombie, then Hollister, then Aeropostale, then Charlotte Russe, then Delia's, then Limited TOO, then PacSun, then Claire's Boutique, then Libby Liu, then Hot Topic etc. etc. (it bugs me that they list these under women's apparel or men's apparel when its really just high-schoolers that wear that stuff).

Sad to say, that's the way it is in most malls. With the exception of SouthPark, there's not many clothes for adults in malls anymore.

Reames Rd (which connects Sunset Rd to Harris Blvd and which turns into Northlake pkway after Harris at the mall location) is a hidden Gem.. I think this is a great area with a ton of potential. Those who live on that stretch of land (between the mall and sunset, along Reames) area in a great spot to get around charlotte metro.. You can get to downtown in 6 or 7 minutes. You can get to I-77 in 1-2 minutes.. You can get to I-85 in 3-4 minutes. Now we have a new regional mall within 3-4 minutes and as well the 485 outer belt to follow which will also be 3-4 minutes away.. Also Lake Norman and Concord are accessible in about a 15 minute drive.. The land along Reames rd is mostly farm land with the exception of some neighborhoods and one apartment neighborhood.. Americana Park and Hyde Park are older very nice neighborhoods with big homes and nice lots with a lot of potential. Also someone is building Linden on Beatties Ford Rd an upscale neighborhood which is right near Hyde Park. The homes they are building in there are pretty big.. I think the one that is started has an elevator.. This area has been slow to develop over the past 10 years.. In my opinion for one it lacks restaurants/retail/entertainment. While although it has great access to center city for work, when at home there has been nothing to do or no where to eat close by. With the new NorthLake mall and all that is to follow hopefully this area will catch up to speed. Reames Rd is such a nice quiet place without major congestion. So much of the Charlotte area is so congested with cars and has poor design making most of the desired areas a real nightmare to visit.

I had made two visits to Northlake since it's opening. One just to browse and other to actually do some shopping. Very impressive place indeed. I reminds of the a combination of Triangle Town Center in Raleigh and the Streets of Southpoint in Durham.

The store that surprised me the most was the Dillards. Very airy and light as opposed to most Dillard stores which tend to be more darker and very earthtoned in coloration. And the selection and layout of the store as well as Belk's and Hechts was very inviting and fresh.

On my first visit, I noticed that there is still construction on the north side of the mall.....I looks to be the "open air" portion of the mall. Also I notice that several stores are coming online including Z Gallerie which has the only NC store at the Triangle Town Center Raleigh. If you have not visited this store, it is a combination of Pottery Barn and Bombay Company with a little bit of Kirklands throw in. I am glad one is coming closer to home.

All in all, I think the mall and indeed the area has a lot of potential...it will definitely give Southpark a run for it's money, especially as the demographics in the Northlake trade area rapidly changes.

There are still alot of stores that SouthPark has that Northlake doesnt, and there are stores that Northlake has that SouthPark doesnt.....i don't think neither of them will affect the other too badly, considering Charlotte is growing very fast.....besides, NL should've been built a while ago, it was even stated on the website before it opened "filling in a retail gap in Northern Charlotte that is underserved"........and then there's the Mint Hill mall which will be coming soon to a highway near you........ :blink:

I had made two visits to Northlake since it's opening. One just to browse and other to actually do some shopping. Very impressive place indeed. I reminds of the a combination of Triangle Town Center in Raleigh and the Streets of Southpoint in Durham.

The store that surprised me the most was the Dillards. Very airy and light as opposed to most Dillard stores which tend to be more darker and very earthtoned in coloration. And the selection and layout of the store as well as Belk's and Hechts was very inviting and fresh.

On my first visit, I noticed that there is still construction on the north side of the mall.....I looks to be the "open air" portion of the mall. Also I notice that several stores are coming online including Z Gallerie which has the only NC store at the Triangle Town Center Raleigh. If you have not visited this store, it is a combination of Pottery Barn and Bombay Company with a little bit of Kirklands throw in. I am glad one is coming closer to home.

All in all, I think the mall and indeed the area has a lot of potential...it will definitely give Southpark a run for it's money, especially as the demographics in the Northlake trade area rapidly changes.

The outdoor portion will open in front of the mall, and in 2 years now. The back side is where the AMC Theaters is going.

Edited by cantnot

I went out to Northlake Mall today. It turned out rather nice, especially the "main hall" They were really able to capture a "Charlotte" essecne with all the brick work and releif artwork of the trolley, Andrew Jackson, James K Polk, etc.

I can't wait for them to build out the exterior "SouthPoint" part on the front side. The store selection will be nice and will get even better as the mall becomes fully leased in the coming months.

I would rate the Mall#2 in the metro area behind SouthPark.

whichever side of the border he was actually born on... it is still in the charlotte area. ... he obviously wasn't born in charlotte. andrew jackson was born in 1767, when charlotte was just a crossroad village less than one square mile around trade and tryon. :)

I have happily found the improvements made to Harris and the new Northlake Pkwy, allow Huntersville residents to avoid the huge mess caused by the braindead NCDOT planning where 4 lanes of I-77N reduce to 2 lanes. Instead of fooling with those backups you can just exit at Harris and take the secret entrance into Huntersville. :P

I have happily found the improvements made to Harris and the new Northlake Pkwy, allow Huntersville residents to avoid the huge mess caused by the braindead NCDOT planning where 4 lanes of I-77N reduce to 2 lanes. Instead of fooling with those backups you can just exit at Harris and take the secret entrance into Huntersville. :P

Aren't they currently fixing that, by adding a third lane to 77?? I remember hearing something about it but I haven't heard anything recently..