Northlake Mall

whichever side of the border he was actually born on... it is still in the charlotte area. ... he obviously wasn't born in charlotte. andrew jackson was born in 1767, when charlotte was just a crossroad village less than one square mile around trade and tryon. :)

I know, just some friendly Carolina competition, that's all. :D

I know, just some friendly Carolina competition, that's all. :D

the ironic thing about NC's presidents is that most of them ended up being "from" somewhere else (except polk). they were born here and left here to make their mark. their birth in this state is usually just a footnote in their life stories.

Andrew Jackson is known as the first western president. He said he was born in SC, though.

but definitely close enough to have his face up in a mall :).

I went to Northlake yesterday for a quick errand at Belk's and the mall appeared to be thriving, at least based on the packed parking lot. Anyone have sales figures or insights on its performance?

Thanks.

So far so good. No sales figures to report, but the store and mall are doing really well right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good look at the AMC theatre being built here. My guess is that it will be the nicest theater within the city limits. AMC builds the nicest stadium seating and the building they are putting up is pretty impressive. It's not directly attached to the mall and instead has its own entrance, which I find to be an advantage.

Went to Northlake for the first time today. I have mixed feelings. I entered at the lower level of Hechts. I am usually impressed by Hechts. I must say I was not impressed with the Hechts at NL. Im hoping they are just holding out because of the fact they will soon me Macys( Im guessing).

I was however impressed with the mixture of stores. The mall looks crisp and that Bravo italian restaurant is a definate score for the mall. There wasnt alot of traffic, but it was monday. The mall definately has a small intimate feel to it. Its not as overwhelming as SouthPark or Carolina Place.

I figure with the opening of the bookstore and AMC, traffic will pick up,as it will become more of a destination.

Overall I think given its location near LN this mall has the chance of becoming a little sister to SP. I can definately see more upscale stores. The Brooks Brothers store is to die. Those little display windows outside the store made the trip to NL worthwhile.

Went to Northlake for the first time today. I have mixed feelings. I entered at the lower level of Hechts. I am usually impressed by Hechts. I must say I was not impressed with the Hechts at NL. Im hoping they are just holding out because of the fact they will soon me Macys( Im guessing).

Hecht's design was a little more austere than I thought it should have been, but I thought the store overall was pretty decent. The one that bored me was Dillard's. It was pleasant, but uninspiring.

Northlake plans to break tradition in Charlotte and decorate the mall quite differently for Christmas. Instead the entire mall will be decorated to resemble the surrealistic place of Narnia from the movie Chronicles of Narnia. I think this is great as I get tired of looking at Santa Klaus, reindeer, snowmen and christmas trees.

Northlake plans to break tradition in Charlotte and decorate the mall quite differently for Christmas. Instead the entire mall will be decorated to resemble the surrealistic place of Narnia from the movie Chronicles of Narnia. I think this is great as I get tired of looking at Santa Klaus, reindeer, snowmen and christmas trees.

I love the idea. However, I suspect it's really just a big ad. Good for Taubman. Get Disney to pay for your Christmas decorations. I still haven't made it to Northlake yet. I was waiting until The Grape opens, but I'll go up sooner to see the decorations.

When I read the Narnia series as a child, I was completely oblivious to the Christian symbolism in it. I just thought they were entertaining stories.

But it could arguably be less pagan than all the other things we associate with Christmas. (trees, elves, etc)

Edited by MZT

What about Christmas isn't in today's America? Stores have had their Christmas stuff out for a month now. I have to hand it to Taubaum (sp) for attempting to try something different in Charlotte.

Still, it's bad enough to encourage people to overspend, but to try to get them to overspend and promote what may or may not be a movie worth seeing (along with its endlesss associated advertising and products) is laying it on a little thick.

Just give me a tree and some poinsettias and call it a day. If the movie's cool, kids (and their parents) will go see it anyway.

I personally like the idea. Christmas decorations in malls are predictable, and boring. This is a cool concept, and even thought it is partially promoting a movie, it is also promoting imagination. And that is something this season lacks. Plus, it is nice to have decorations that don't center around religion only, b/c there are many people who aren't christian shopping at these malls too.

Taubman just reported that Northlake is now 95% leased and 80% physically occupied. They expect the in-place physical occupancy number to increase to 90% by year-end.

Interesting, the total cost of the project came in $4 million under budget at $171 million. The company has a reputation for always opening malls on time and under budget, so add this one to the list.