Northlake Mall

Stopped by late this Sunday afternoon.

The parking lot by Belks was full, and the others generally so. But I still came away with the feeling that I've seen Concord Mills when it's busier. Enough difficulty in parking that I'd consider leaving, rather than keep circling for a spot. (Maybe it's an illusion to some extent. Concord Mills is so large, it may be difficult in design to spread out enough parking on surface lots.)

The mall was busy and active. But I wouldn't say overly crowded either, other than noticing the really long "See Narnia" line in the middle.

I'm inclined to agree with monsoon, that Cornelius and Huntersville are pretty well served by shopping now. The mall isn't reaching an underserved market, as much it's providing choice. The situation in North Meck was a lot different when the mall was first proposed, and the financiers were first looking at things.

Edited by monsoon

I am a fan of the design.. i don't know whether i'm a fan of the layout. I do miss older mall layouts... Northlake's layout is VERY similar to Triangle Towne Center, Southpoint, etc

I think a lot of the architectural details at Northlake are very nice, but the layout is pretty typical.

I read the article on the design and I really don't buy the regionalism argument. Every mall for the past five or six years (since the Mall of Georgia) has tried to claim they were trying to capture the essence of a region. It's never really the case, it's just a buzzword. Though I have to admit The Streets at Southpoint in Durham comes closer to the regioal architectural identification than most.

Edited by StevenRocks

Talked with some friends in Belk corporate last night. Seems Northlake's sales projections were WAAAAY off. They can't keep employees in the store due to poor commissions. The Mooresville store is still kicking butt, though. Northlake hasn't affected it at all.

That mall has been packed when I've gone there (opening and before Christmas- admittedly busy times). What's the problem with it?

Maybe it's like Carolina Place- a slow start but growth over the long run as population around the mall increases.

Eastland has been packed as well when I've gone, so maybe I just have a way of bringing crowds to malls when I go!

Talked with some friends in Belk corporate last night. Seems Northlake's sales projections were WAAAAY off. They can't keep employees in the store due to poor commissions. The Mooresville store is still kicking butt, though. Northlake hasn't affected it at all.
I think Belk should be trying to broaden their merchandise mix a bit. That store is mostly clothes and fussy gifts once you get past the cosmetics department. A better and more complete home section and a reduction in junk would help a lot.

I think Belk should be trying to broaden their merchandise mix a bit. That store is mostly clothes and fussy gifts once you get past the cosmetics department. A better and more complete home section and a reduction in junk would help a lot.

They redesigned their stores to compete with the likes of Bed Bath and Beyond. That's why the store has the "warehouse look" in the housewares section. But my point was more that this store was built to take the pressure off Belk Mooresville and those shoppers haven't (yet) bought in.

As a side note, I did go see a movie at the AMC (Fun with Dick and Jane...entertaining movie and I don't even like Jim Carrey). Very nice. I think they beat Consolidated theaters by a slight margin and plow all over Eastern Federal/Regal. I'd go here before ever considering Birkdale again.

The only time I ever went to the movie theater at Birkdale, they took my ticket and told me to go ahead into the movie theater. I just happened to catch to the end of the previous showing of our movie, the life of David Gale. If you guys ever saw that, it is a movie where seeing the ending will ruin the rest for you. :). I walked outside and asked the usher why he told me to go it, and he just shrugged his shoulders. I ended up just watching Old School, which was fun.

I guess I go to movies so infrequently that things like that are memorable :). I guess next time we go to a movie, we'll try the one at NorthLake.

They redesigned their stores to compete with the likes of Bed Bath and Beyond. That's why the store has the "warehouse look" in the housewares section. But my point was more that this store was built to take the pressure off Belk Mooresville and those shoppers haven't (yet) bought in.
Belk Moorsesville is better located for its clientele. Belk Northlake is pretty much for the Univerity area and north Charlotte, replacing Eastland in a way.

The aesthetic similarities to Bed Bath and Beyond are noted, but the merchandise selection is pretty typical modern Belk with a lot of junk and gifts instead of relevant merchandise. Bed Bath and Beyond has a lot more choices on everyday home items, whereas Belk is strong on china and crystal and not much else.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13548193.htm Free Food!! :)

Chick-Fil-A is giving 100 "free food for a year" cupons at their new Northlake location

I cannot believe so many people go through so much trouble to try and be one of the first 100. They give the winners 52 coupons for free combo meals. That's worth less than $300.

Belk Moorsesville is better located for its clientele. Belk Northlake is pretty much for the Univerity area and north Charlotte, replacing Eastland in a way.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just reporting what the higher-ups at the big B said. And, according to them, the store was built to serve southern Iredell and north Meck.

On another front, I love a Chik-fil-a sandwich as much as the next guy, but thankfully I have too full a life to waste valuable time camping out in front of one for free fast food.