Northlake Mall

This mall is at Exit 18. 

At Exit 36 you have a Super Target & a Super Walmart.  I don't like either one as they both look like this.  This part of Charlotte certainly does not need more development of this type.  Thank goodness Huntersville zoning takes over just a couple of miles away and it gets much better for a small section of the county.   

walmart_vomits.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL @ Walmart_vomits for the picture name :rofl:

I guess this is what its gonna be looking like on Mt-Holly Huntersville at Brookshire pretty soon... is that one open yet?

• 1 month later...

Name changes lengthen W.T. Harris by 1.5 miles

The Charlotte Observer/Diane Whitacre

W.T. Harris Boulevard has grown 1.5 miles longer without the help of earthmovers or asphalt-paving machines.

The city renamed Vance Road and the eastern portion of Reames Road to W.T. Harris.

It's a move that runs counter to Charlotte's tradition of major roads changing their names two or three times in a span of a few miles.

The biggest name with a new address will be Northlake Mall, now under construction northwest of Interstate 77 on what once was Reames Road.

"It just made sense to do it now," said Doreen Szymanski, customer service director for Charlotte Department of Transportation. The mall, slated to open this fall, is expected to bring major growth to northwest Mecklenburg.

But the area is still largely rural, so the city had to change the address of only 10 houses.

The southern portion of Reames Road, south of W.T. Harris, will continue to carry the Reames name.

With its new extension, W.T. Harris is one of Charlotte's longest roads, covering about 18 miles, from Mount Holly-Huntersville Road to Independence Boulevard.

Second,

Mall construction is ahead of schedule

News14.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C.

• 4 weeks later...

My hope is that Northlake is going to be a great place to shop with distinctive architecture and a connection to the community. My fear is that it's going to be like Triangle Town Center: a big pile of derivative mallness that doesn't connect to anything.

I also hope the department stores change up their exterior store designs. Dillard's and Hecht's already had identical store designs going up at each location; now Belk is in 'instant-replay' mode, too.

• 3 weeks later...

i drove by there today on Harris, and they sure do seem to be ahead of schedule. The Belk has the same architecture as Belk Triagnle Town and Southpoint do... and Dillard's has it's arches.. so that means so far it looks pretty generic in terms of dept stores. They're still working on Hecht's and Dick's exteriors too. I hope to take pics in the near future...

• Like 1

The Belk has the same architecture as Belk Triagnle Town and Southpoint do... and Dillard's has it's arches.. so that means so far it looks pretty generic in terms of dept stores.  They're still working on Hecht's and Dick's exteriors too.  I hope to take pics in the near future...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hecht's and Dick's will probably recycle too. Belk attempted to do the Triagnle Town/Southpoint design at SouthPark, but got shot down (thankfully).

None of those designs are in Charlotte right now, but mall fans know these guys aren't trying very hard.

Still looking forward to the new mall, though :)

Charlotte has 2 A&F stores already...not sure why they put in closest loaction of Hickory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure they didn't want to say:

"Hey there is another A&F at SouthPark or Carolina Place, why don't you drive there?" Most Charlotteans are not going to drive to Hickory to go to a mall.

• Like 1

Last year, Northlake announced the 40 first retailers to be in the mall...

I saw that, at the time, they said the next batch of retailers would be announced in January 2005.

So, now we are about 6 months from opening, and no announcement of anymore retailers...what gives?

Think they are having trouble filling the whole space and that is why they haven't announced?

Actually, coincidently, there was an article on WCNC tonight that said that new additional retailers will be announced in a couple of weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saw that. Interesting that the announcement will be 3 months later than they said last year.

Must have taken longer to sign up retailers than they first thought.

(ouch, that pic was rough on the aircard connection :( )

The buildings that we see in that picture, is that all of them, the complete mall? Or are there other sections that haven't been started. Just seems smaller then what I thought the whole thing was going to be.

Either way, thats one hell of a project...

(ouch, that pic was rough on the aircard connection :( )

The buildings that we see in that picture, is that all of them, the complete mall?  Or are there other sections that haven't been started.  Just seems smaller then what I thought the whole thing was going to be. 

Either way, thats one hell of a project...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the buildings that will be attached to the mall are completed except for the 14-screen AMC Theaters, which if you can see the pad for that has been cleared. On the north side, you see Dillard's and Dick's Sporting Goods and on the south is Hecht's and Belk