Northlake Mall

If they ever get the outdoor portion of the mall going in front, it's going to squeeze parking even more.

Indeed. It's mostly built now, and they are just adding the finishing touches.

He's talking about the original planned outdoor portion actually, not the part that's closer to the corner of Harris and Northlake Parkway, but the part between that portion and the mall.

I was over at the mall this evening and now that the first 6 months are done, it looks as if all is not well at NorthLake.

• The mall has already had a few casualties. I assume their leases must have expired on Mar 1, as they were busy cleaning out tonight. One major cellular telephone store is closed, and two of the Kiosks are closed.
  • There are at least a dozen places that don't appear to be leased yet.
  • Most surprising, the signs for Z-gallerie have disappeared within the last week. I am not sure if the store has decided to pull out of their deal to go into the mall but that probably isn't a good sign.
  • The mall is tending to attract a demographic that has been troublesome at Eastland. There have already been several incidents where the mall security have had to run off loiters. I've notice the Mall has had no effect on the stores further up the road in Huntersville. It would seem, as I predicted much earlier in this thread, that most of the Lake crowd are choosing to continue to shop at the lake to avoid the developing situation at Northlake.
  • Northlake now has 3 nail salons.
  • On a positive note, the opening of the new Borders is a welcome addition. It's a nice modern design, and the entire second floor balcony is a Seattle's Best Coffee House. That a nice change for a town saturated with Starbucks.

It will be interesting to see where this heads.

The mall is tending to attract a demographic that has been troublesome at Eastland. There have already been several incidents where the mall security have had to run off loiters. I've notice the Mall has had no effect on the stores further up the road in Huntersville. It would seem, as I predicted much earlier in this thread, that most of the Lake crowd are choosing to continue to shop at the lake to avoid the developing situation at Northlake.
Hmmmm...someone on this board predicted something like that happening ;)

Indeed.

The Z-Gallerie signs are back up and someone was hammering on something behind the plywood wall today so it looks as if it will be at the mall afterall.

Also two more jewelery stores are under construction which will join at least one already there.

Fire something or other Grill is almost open too which will complete the food court.

Some early returns from Northlake are good. Sales from opening through January were $394/sf, which looks fairly good next to SouthPark's high $400s(?). The mall is now 98.4% leased including anchors.

Other interesting stats I didn't know: The mall's trade area has an average household income of $73,283 and a population of 386,000 (as of YE 2004). The rapidly growing North Charlotte area had an annual growth rate of 4.46% from 2000-2004 compared to 2.27% for the entire Charlotte MSA and the U.S. national average of 1.01% during the same period.

Edited by SmellyCat