Northlake Mall

I can think of three troubled Taubman malls-

1. Stamford Town Center in Connecticut, which has a Macy's and a Saks and a Fortunoff furniture branch that is filling a vacant Filene's, along with some very nice in-line tenants, and some very upscale shoppers but also some Eastland-type customers and some vacancies.

This mall is aging and needs some renovations, and I think some are in the works. It has a good location and the neighboring area is experiencing some significant retail development. Thus I have not seen any news reports stating that Taubman is going to dispose of it; it should do OK with some work. There are some similarities to Northlake (booming location, Eastland-type crowds in an upscale mall).

2. Columbus City Center- featured on deadmalls.com, which speaks for itself; Taubman sold it to the Mills Corp.

3. Willow Bend in Plano, TX, which is not hopping.

Taubman took out a $215MM loan (I think- just go to biz.yahoo.com or plainvanillashell.com for the news releases) on Northlake. I'd guess that cashing out on the mall so early on would do significant reputational damage to Taubman. Taubman has held onto Stamford Town Center and Willow Bend even though both malls aren't doing as well as some would hope. Thus I don't see Taubman dropping Northlake anytime soon. I think Columbus City Center was just on death's door so Taubman probably saw no hope for it.

Edited by mallguy

I don't think the story is written on what is going to happen at North Lake. The mall is just getting started and there is a tremendous amount of retail underconstruction and proposed for the immediate area. There are going to be a lot of people in that area in the coming years and fortunately the immediate area is not saturated with starter homes as it is in East Charlotte and the University area. (this is too far away from University to be labeled as such)

It's interersting the outlying parcels (where Panera, Chilis, etc are located) are already getting to be fairly packed at lunch time and those crowds are anything but low income.

Somehow, in the zeal to turn this into an oppurtunity to rain on StevenRocks' parade, I've been labeled a racist, or at least an ignorant person making unfounded statements. If anyone here has tried through small-time activism to save Eastland Mall, it has been me. I have been a tireless supporter of the place, warts and all, ever since I've been here. I don't appreciate the inisnution that somehow I'm ignorant because I see what's going to happen in the future if nothing is done for the youth in this city.

Steve, you are the man when it comes to retail. I for one appreciate your insight into all things shopping related.

Those of us who have gotten to know you on this board know you are not a racist. We also know you are not ignorant. Far from it. And for the record, I will never try to rain on your parade unless you champion a Wal Mart in my neighborhood. :P

Edited by Miesian Corners

I think Columbus City Center was just on death's door so Taubman probably saw no hope for it.
That place got ugly quick. I went there 10 years ago and it was the premeir retail destination in central Ohio. But that was befor Easton Town Center and Polaris Fashion Place rearranged the shopping patterns of Columbus.

Somehow, in the zeal to turn this into an oppurtunity to rain on StevenRocks' parade, I've been labeled a racist, or at least an ignorant person making unfounded statements. If anyone here has tried through small-time activism to save Eastland Mall, it has been me. I have been a tireless supporter of the place, warts and all, ever since I've been here. I don't appreciate the inisnution that somehow I'm ignorant because I see what's going to happen in the future if nothing is done for the youth in this city.

Steven...those of us who are regulars on here know the truth...which is that your commentary is thought-provoking, enlightening, informational and honest, and anything but racist. Unfortunately, there are certain posters on here who have their antennae up looking for anything controversial to grandstand against - including, but not limited to, anything that THEY perceive as the slightest hint of racial stereotyping, whether unfounded or not.

I say... rock on, Steven!

Edited by SmellyCat

I have over 800 posts here on UrbanPlanet that state my extensive research and knowledge of the retail scene in Charlotte and its relation to race. If anything is ignorant and unfounded, it's you jumping onto a tangent based on a seven-word sentence.
What tangent? The question I posted was relevant to the conversation at hand. I asked if people (a word which indicates that I'm not speaking to one particular person) are suggesting that Northlake was becoming the new Eastland because of the large numbers of black shoppers they see. Then I stated I see a difference in the visitors of both locations with a large number of black faces being the only thing I see that they have in common.

Words like ignorant, unfounded, racist did not come from me towards you, Steven.

That being said can anyone detail what they see at Northlake which leads them to believe that its visitors are increasingly similar to the Eastlake variety (the majority of whom are law abiding citizens doing their shopping anyway) since the retail at each is very different.

Aldo Accessories and Sephora (I think that's may be the store monsoon was talking about) are basic chain retail and geared toward the middle. Sephora especially is a universal makeup place that most any woman would shop in and routinely featured in magazines, etc. These kinds of shops are very different than what's available at Eastland right now.

Edited by lupitachica

Words like ignorant, unfounded, racist did not come from me towards you, Steven.

He was responding to a set of really distasteful posts that have been deleted from a new member that is now banned. It was not directed towards you.

Please everyone, assume that all of the long term forumers here are not going to make racist or other negative remarks towards the others. It's a lot easier to run this forum if every would please show some respect. Everyone here is really good about this so I am only saying this as a reminder.

Sephora? lol

Ahh yeah, that is it. I was doing this from memory, and I am first to admit that I don't have much of one left anymore. :thumbsup:

Sephora is a good store and its the kind of place that all types and income levels can shop in. This is what I like about Northlake, it has much more retail variety than Eastland. I shop at Eastland when I can one principle. I've never felt unsafe there nor have I witnessed any bad behavior. But I do know that the area (income wise) can't support the more high end stores (like Armani Exchange or Fendi) but stores like Sephora and the Gap are badly needed.

A lot of the recent immigrants to Charlotte that I know have moved to the University area and purchased starter homes or rent apts. These people tend to be black professional and working class (as that is my social circle). Most of them do shop at Northlake and I haven't heard many complaints except that it needs more. One of my co-workers (an AKA) had a great time shopping for wedding items at the mall and was very pleased with her experience there. My cousin just purchased a new home and she has found her shopping experience to be very pleasant as well.

edited to add a thank you for the clarification, monsoon.

Edited by lupitachica

Earlier in this thread there were some that said that Northlake would kill the retail in Huntersville which does not seem to be the case as I predicted. In today's lake version of the Observer there is an article that says that Northlake shows no signs of harming Birkdale Village.

• Inland Real Estate Group says that Birkdale is averaging between $400 - $500 sales/sq ft. This apparently puts it in the top tiers of shopping nationally.
  • Birkdale duplicates Dicks Sporting Goods, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret and American Eagle Outfitters. However the difference seems to be in the other stores that surround these stores which are decidly more upscale than what is currently found in Northlake.
  • I said before that Birkdale represents where shopping is headed in this country. i.e. away from large regional shopping malls and insteal more towards smaller new urbanist style development. Birkdale has it's issues in this area, but clearly it is preferred by local residents.

Earlier in this thread there were some that said that Northlake would kill the retail in Huntersville which does not seem to be the case as I predicted. In today's lake version of the Observer there is an article that says that Northlake shows no signs of harming Birkdale Village.
  • Inland Real Estate Group says that Birkdale is averaging between $400 - $500 sales/sq ft. This apparently puts it in the top tiers of shopping nationally.
  • Birkdale duplicates Dicks Sporting Goods, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret and American Eagle Outfitters. However the difference seems to be in the other stores that surround these stores which are decidly more upscale than what is currently found in Northlake.
  • I said before that Birkdale represents where shopping is headed in this country. i.e. away from large regional shopping malls and insteal more towards smaller new urbanist style development. Birkdale has it's issues in this area, but clearly it is preferred by local residents.

There was an article in the paper today about that, They forgot to mention that Gymboree, Bath & Body Works, & Gap are duplicate stores also....http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/14119455.htm

Edited by Temeteron

Northlake won't be the next Eastland; the Mall of Georgia will be, based on a recent visit I had to MoG. Northlake might be the next Eastland after that. Northlake and MoG are very similar in appearance, store selection, etc., though.

I asked him this question in the Atlanta section but I will ask it here as well.

Mallguy could you please expand on your meaning here? I'm not familiar with Eastland Mall so I have to plead ignorance on the matter. I am simply asking what is the bases for your above statement?

I am confused. What does the Mall of Georgia have to do with Northlake or Eastland in Charlotte. I assume this mall is somewhere in GA since the name probably would not work too well here in NC. LOL

:lol: .....

I wondered the same thing when I saw a posting about it in the Atlanta section as well.

The parallel that I can draw from the similarities between the two centers are as follows....

1) both are very large

2) they are both close to very large lakes

3) both have similar 1, 5, 10 and 20 mile demographics

4) they both have Nordstrom

Other than that I don't know. From what I see here, I don't think that Northlake is turning into another Eastland. This is just from what I read in the Charlotte Coffee House section. Northlake is new...and when things are new everyone wants to check it out. Once the newness fades or the next mall is built, Nortlake will settle into drawing from it's primary market. Now if that market includes the Eastland Mall area then so be it.

There is no gated entrance or memberships to any mall so in the beginning, everyone will want to come check it out. If Northlake is the premier mall then people will drive great distances to shop there. Regardless of color, socio-economics, education level, gender.....you all get my point. Perhaps Northlake Mall's market area includes part of Eastland Mall's market area. I have seen pictures of Eastland Mall here and it doesn't strike me as a hell-hole. Since I am speaking as an outsider, you all are more privy to information about the mall than I do, I can only go off what I see.

BTW, is Northlake Mall serviced by public transportation? Is there highway access?

1) both are very large

2) they are both close to very large lakes

3) both have similar 1, 5, 10 and 20 mile demographics

4) they both have Nordstrom

BTW, is Northlake Mall serviced by public transportation? Is there highway access?

Are you talking about Northlake Mall in GA or Northlake Mall in NC?

There are several city bus stops there (including one one of the express routes).

It is located right on I-77 and the future I-485 so yes there is really good access.

I don't believe there is a Nordstrom at this mall.