Northlake Mall

Are you talking about Northlake Mall in GA or Northlake Mall in NC?

There is no very large lake in northern DeKalb county where Northlake Mall (Atlanta) is located. I am speaking of the Northlake Mall (Charlotte) since this is what the thread is about. The comparison Mallguy was making was between Northlake (Charlotte) and the Mall of Georgia (Atlant). That's what i gathered from his responses.

Didn't mean to cause confusion. I just went to Mall of Georgia for the first time this weekend and it seems very similar to Northlake in appearance, tenant mix (no Nordstrom at Northlake, though)- and I just think both of them will be the next Eastland. I'm curious to see how they both turn out; similar today but maybe very different in the future?

There are several city bus stops there (including one one of the express routes).

It is located right on I-77 and the future I-485 so yes there is really good access.

I don't believe there is a Nordstrom at this mall.

Opps.......why was I thinking there was a Nordstrom at Northlake as well.

My apologies.

As far as the city buses, that is a difference between the two. The Mall of Georgia is in Buford (Gwinnett cty) and therefore now public transportation there.

To me, Northlake will probably mature into something similar to Perimeter Mall in Atlanta....probably minus the skyscrapers.

Northlake is new...and when things are new everyone wants to check it out. Once the newness fades or the next mall is built, Nortlake will settle into drawing from it's primary market.

Well, Northlake fills a void in the immediate area that Eastland used to fill. It's the "go to" mall because many people find SouthPark inaccessible. As nice as it looks, it's really a standard large mall. Most of the retail they offer is needed rather than unique to the Carolinas, like SP. A store like Forever 21 or Charlotte Russ at Northlake will get more foot traffic than Urban outfitters or Anthropologie at SP.

They hyped it up definately when it was announced... People thought it was going to have Sears and JCP at first and that it was going to be 1.7-1.8 million s/f (making it the state's largest if that happened).. and that it would have a grand scale outdoor village urban thing like Southpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Circuit City is looking into opening a store at either Northlake or Mooresville some time in the next two to three years. A few of their higher ups made a round through their Charlotte stores and made the trip up 77 to look at potential sites a few months ago. The unfortunate news to that is University residents may be seeing their location either relocating closer to downtown or closing all together within the next five years. The lease for that store ends in three and a half years.

Very nice Steven. Thanks for posting.

.... The unfortunate news to that is University residents may be seeing their location either relocating closer to downtown or closing all together within the next five years. The lease for that store ends in three and a half years.

Yep. That part of town is already in the big box closing stages. It's amazing how fast it happened.

Very nice Steven. Thanks for posting.

Yep. That part of town is already in the big box closing stages. It's amazing how fast it happened.

It really is astonishing at how fast the University Area is losing thier big boxes... which were originally down North Tryon Street (Target, Kmart, etc) and they moved up... now they're moving either to Concord Mills area or Northlake.

It really is astonishing at how fast the University Area is losing thier big boxes... which were originally down North Tryon Street (Target, Kmart, etc) and they moved up... now they're moving either to Concord Mills area or Northlake.

Is the University City Target on the closing watchlist? Seems to do a good business.

No the UC Target isn't on the closing watchlist... I was just saying that Target used to be over on Eastway & N Tryon, then moved up... and they've got SuperTarget planned for Northlake and for Exit 54 on I-85...

The SuperTarget at exit 54 is already under construction. Do you know if the one by northlake is yet?