Northlake Mall

Maybe someone that's actually been to that mall can give their $0.02. I've not visited. Is there anything there that sets that mall apart? If I'm in the mood to mall, I go to SP 99.9% of the time. I guess I assumed that NL has your average run-of-the mill stores you can find anywhere, so why bother?

It's the clientale. Malls are defined by the demographic they attract and the demographic that currently goes to Northlake is a long way from Southpark material. I go there sometimes to walk during lunch because of the hot weather. Last time I was there, there were a several women who were old enough to be dragging around several young kids, walking around with lizard contact lenses on their eyes. Somehow I don't think you will see this lot shopping at the Neiman Marcus wing of SP.

I predict all of the higher end stores at NL will end up moving on and will be replaced by something else. This has already happened in several cases, and I am counting the days until the wine bar closes. They have already stopped being open for lunch during the week. Also, despite being opened for a year now, there is still a lot of un-rented space in that mall. I do think the outlying parcels will be more successful. Most of them are strip mall type places and they should do well being at the junction of I-77 and I-485.

In the year it's been open, I've been to Northlake twice as opposed to at least a dozen trips to SouthPark. It's nice enough, but not really worth my time as a consumer beyond a basic curiosity. They have a lot of upmarket stores, but not a critical mass of them like SouthPark.

I think a lot of people who don't live adjacent to Northlake have a similar opinion of the place.

So if the hard-core and regional shoppers aren't shopping there, what's left is whoever can get there easily: local residents and whoever can ride there on the bus. Therein lies its problem, just like metro said.

This mall is supposed to be convenient for everyone....its only 5-10 minutes from Downtown....and yet everyone keeps saying its hard to get to......in that case....they shouldve just opened all those stores in Downtown CLT....that way it would at least help the Epicentre/City Center retail!

This mall is supposed to be convenient for everyone....its only 5-10 minutes from Downtown....and yet everyone keeps saying its hard to get to......in that case....they shouldve just opened all those stores in Downtown CLT....that way it would at least help the Epicentre/City Center retail!
Taubman was originally going to build downtown, but it fell through.

The Godiva store has started handing out free samples of their chocolate with an employee walking around with a platter. This is the first time I have seen a Godiva doing this. Maybe their business of premium chocolate isn't working so well in that mall.

Well, they make a killing on every sale. I was in the mall with an ex a few months ago and she easily spent fifty bucks and only left there with one of those little bagged lunch-size grocery bags. She said I wouldn't understand because I'm a guy... She's right.

The Godiva store has started handing out free samples of their chocolate with an employee walking around with a platter. This is the first time I have seen a Godiva doing this. Maybe their business of premium chocolate isn't working so well in that mall.
That is odd for Godiva. Usually you have to get somebody to look the other way to get anything for free! LOL

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I visited Northlake for the first time in several months yesterday, and to my surprise the place was absolutely packed!! I'm sure the lousy weather and Columbus Day sales may have had something to do with that, but still....this is good to see. Also, with many of the outparcel sites being built out now, many with decent stores and chain restaurants, you can definitely spend a whole day there.

There were signs outside the mall today advertising going out of business discounts at the StoreHouse. This will be a pretty big blow to the mall.

I wonder how soon they will be closing, might get some crazy deals like over at Rhodes (I think) when their University store closed. My friend got a 1600 buck sofa for $150!

I've only been into StoreHouse a few times, they have some interesting furniture in there, I may have to take a trip up there tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...