Northlake Mall

Does anyone have an updated population count of metro Charlotte? How many malls does the area have or shopping areas that are equivalent to a mall? I may be transferring to Charlotte and I would really like to know. Emporis just updated my current metro's population (Orlando) to over 2,500,000.

WHOA !!!! What the heck is the guy/gal smoking who is updating the Orlando Site for emporis. That is Waaaaaay off. Orlando is being exagerated by almost 25% (even in their CSA). What are they including part of , Tampa :lol: ???

A2

It's a bit of a stretch to think this will be an issue for them at Northlake vs City Blvd. The Harris Blvd exit on I-77 is just 5 miles from the junction of I-77 and I-85.

True as one would think (myself included), but there is something about that company and the decisions on placement of their stores. I guess if one of their trucks is making multiple deliveries to Charlotte and Atlanta it would make more sense to have each of your stores on the same road instead of having to get off and drive 5-6 miles out of the way. But rest assured they'll locate somewhere on the I-85 (or I-77 if a wild change happens) corridor in Charlotte. :)

At least from taking a look at their website, a number of their stores are not located on interstates.

Not sure where you got your info metro, but 27/29 current US IKEA stores are located within 3 miles or less from an interstate. And no disrespect, but they aren't going to be located exactly on an interstate. :lol:

Or a replacement anchor? I think that Dillard's will be gone eventually unless SOMEBODY starts shopping there.

Dillard's has nothing different or anything out of the ordinary than any other department store, its pretty much run of the mill if you ask me, they need to step their game up and start carrying more high end brands, or more brands that other stores dont have to catch more customers' attention....especially being at Northlake on the dead side of the mall that noone wants to drive to to park

I will say this for Dillard's at Northlake, I was looking for a type of cologne, and they were the only one's to have it out of Macy's and Belk. I was sortof surprised as the Macy's at Harold Sq. carried it about a year ago. Nonetheless, Dillard's saved the day (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write)!

According to the building permits posted by Doug Smith, PF Changs is coming to Northlake (I think it is one of the outparcels on Perimeter Parkway).

I ate at PFCh last April for my birthday and asked the waitress if there were any plans to open one closer to the lake. She told me they were planning a Northlake location in about a year. That time frame is pretty similar to the permit issuance.

I will say this for Dillard's at Northlake, I was looking for a type of cologne, and they were the only one's to have it out of Macy's and Belk. I was sortof surprised as the Macy's at Harold Sq. carried it about a year ago. Nonetheless, Dillard's saved the day (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd write)!
Chainwide, Dillard's is one of the best department stores to buy men's fragrances. They carry just about anything a person would want. Their Big & Tall and shoe departments are above board as well. They also were the first store near me to carry Polo, Nautica, and Tommy Hilfiger in any quantity back when that was a big thing.

We can't hate on Dillard's for being a little dated when they're actually pretty decent at what they do.

I love Dillards clothes, but their prices are absolutely ridiculous. I would never buy anything from there as you can pretty much get the same brand names at stores like TJ Max, Marshalls, Burlington, etc. I actually worked at Dillards at Northlake at one point and I really thought it was funny how people would pay $65 for a regular pair of dress pants that you can get at TJ Max for $29.

Any info you can share about how the store is doing? Seems so dead! Very attractive store, though.

No, I only acutually worked there for about a month last year around the holidays so I can't really shed any light on how the store is doing. I worked there on Black Friday last year and it was even dead then. The store didn't have any significant door busters at all. IMO price point may be keeping some away, I don't know what the other factors may be.

I agree about Dillards being like an overpriced JC Penny. However, their Mens Suit section is the best. I searched Mens Warhouse, S & K, Saks, and a handfull other stores for my wedding suit and Dillards had the best quality, and style. They were more overpriced, that's why I waited until the after Xmas sales. $800 suit set for $400. Nuff said.

I love Dillards clothes, but their prices are absolutely ridiculous. I would never buy anything from there as you can pretty much get the same brand names at stores like TJ Max, Marshalls, Burlington, etc. I actually worked at Dillards at Northlake at one point and I really thought it was funny how people would pay $65 for a regular pair of dress pants that you can get at TJ Max for $29.
Buying stuff from Dillard's is a little less 'hit-and-miss' and a lot less annoying than shopping at TJMaxx et al. Stores like that don't carry my size often in attractive clothing, and you have to do too much digging at closeout stores to find decent stuff compared to walking into a Dillard's on sale day and getting what you actually want for the same price.

Did anyone catch the blurb in the paper that REI will be building their 2nd Charlotte location at Northlake Mall? It will be one of the outparcels not connected to the main building.

It's slated to be in NorthCrest Shopping Center, which will be across the street from the mall (not an outparcel) in the SuperTarget shopping center that's planned.

Edited by cantnot

Buying stuff from Dillard's is a little less 'hit-and-miss' and a lot less annoying than shopping at TJMaxx et al. Stores like that don't carry my size often in attractive clothing, and you have to do too much digging at closeout stores to find decent stuff compared to walking into a Dillard's on sale day and getting what you actually want for the same price.

I don't know about all that, a while back I walked into TJMaxx in the University area and bought 5 pair of Nautica jeans (all for $29 a pop, compared to the Dillards price of ~$59) All of the jeans were in my size (36X32), which was easy to find by the way (mostly all in the same place), tried on all 5 pair, purchased them, and the whole event took about 30-40 minutes. I don't know what size you wear, but they have all of the common sizes in majority of their clothes. By the way, sale day at Dillards is a joke. When I was working there they had about two racks full of Polo shirts all for 25% off. After the 25% discount the shirts were still about $40. I guess I've had a different experience....

I don't know about all that, a while back I walked into TJMaxx in the University area and bought 5 pair of Nautica jeans (all for $29 a pop, compared to the Dillards price of ~$59) All of the jeans were in my size (36X32), which was easy to find by the way (mostly all in the same place), tried on all 5 pair, purchased them, and the whole event took about 30-40 minutes. I don't know what size you wear, but they have all of the common sizes in majority of their clothes. By the way, sale day at Dillards is a joke. When I was working there they had about two racks full of Polo shirts all for 25% off. After the 25% discount the shirts were still about $40. I guess I've had a different experience....
Shopping is totally subjective like that at times.

I take either a 36x34 or 38x34 in most pants, and since my size is extemely common, they sell out everywhere, even at full-price stores. The ones that are left at closeout stores tend to be ugly ones. What I like about stores liuke Dillard's is that they'll contiue to restock from the vendor as long as they can so that people like me will get a chnce to find stuff that fits. The excess gets sold to the closeout stores or marked down, where less popular sizes end up.

If you have a less popular size, you can really clean up at closeout stores.

Polo Ralph Lauren polo shirts on sale typicaly retail for $39. The only plac you'll find a better deal is Ross or Burlington, which tend to have them for $29. But that's entirely hit or miss.; broken size runs and occasionally awful colors or patterns.

But not much of this has anything to do with Northlake Mall... :whistling:

I was just looking at the Investor Relations part of the Dillard's website. Same-store sales down 5% in December '06, when upscale department stores are doing great and even Macy's is showing increases?

With a struggling chain having the Northlake store, which just has to be performing badly considering how dead it always seems, hmmm...wonder what will happen if trends don't change...