Northlake Mall

I don't see Dick's, Banana Republic, American Eagle, or Ann Taylor Loft keeping both stores, but who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stores spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of dollars more to open stores.

They do TONS of research on demographics and trade areas.

Many times they have plans to open stores years (like 5 or 6 years) before anyone even hears about them. They have probably known about putting two stores in this area for years.

I seriously doubt they would have spent the money to open a store at Birkdale only to close it down a few years later.

On a side note, I was over at BV  today walking through the Greens @ Birkdale and had the feeling I was on the Truman Show.  Kinda creepy for everything to look so neat and perfect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a very well planned development. A developer client I had at a firm I used to work for wanted to replicate the spirit of Birkdale in a similar-style development, albeit in a different city. I went one day and took over 150 pictures of the place from a variety of perspectives. It's extremely well done, to the point that there are few, if any, ugly angles or badly designed areas.

Stores spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of dollars more to open stores.

They do TONS of research on demographics and trade areas.

Many times they have plans to open stores years (like 5 or 6 years) before anyone even hears about them.  They have probably known about putting two stores in this area for years.

I seriously doubt they would have spent the money to open a store at Birkdale only to close it down a few years later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This isn't necessarily true. In leased space such as Birkdale, retailers are offered a tenant improvement allowance which would be roughly $200,000 on a store like BR. This would cover most of the interior work. Items such as registers and racks are interchangable among stores. Merchandise also can be filtered to other stores across the country if there were to close a location. The biggest blocker to stores leaving is lease termination penalties, though most smaller stores have a provision that allows them to leave penalty free is an "anchor" left. Therefore, if Dick's left, then it's likely most other stores could leave with no serious financial hardship.

Also, though Northlake has been rumored for several years, Birkdale was the sure thing that allowed these retailers immediate access into the market to gain customer share.

The stores in Birkdale Village probaby serve a different clientale and there are several thousand residences withing walking distance of the place.  I think Banana Republic and the others will remain open.  It is a testimate of the large number of people who are pouring into the Lake area.  There was an article in the paper this past week that suggested there were already 90,000 people in the county north of the Huntersville city limits. 

On a side note, I was over at BV  today walking through the Greens @ Birkdale and had the feeling I was on the Truman Show.  Kinda creepy for everything to look so neat and perfect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you ever been to troy, michigan? The whole freakin' town is like that lol.

JCPenney, maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats what i was thinking, if anything. I mean since Charlotte lost the JC Penney at Eastland Mall, the closest JC Penney to Northlake is Concord's Carolina Mall (20 Miles). Then Eastridge Gastonia (21 Miles) and Carolina Place (22 Miles).

JCPenney, maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my I hope not. I don't even see any reason for this store to exist anymore. :blink:

A similar thing happened at Eastland. When the mall opened in 1975 there was a pad in the back that was undeveloped. Years later we learned that was for Sears which built its store and the adjoining parking deck which opened in 1979. This coincided with the closing of the downtown store. It was rather interesting as I heard they re-used the DT escalators in the Eastland store which is the reason they are much more narrow than the others in the Mall. (or at least they were, I have not been in Eastland in more than 10 years)

I think Northlake would hold out for a high-end tenant......to be honest, I could see them wooing Saks (look at were Saks went in Raleigh before you laugh). I have a feeling the people running Northlake seem themselves possibly becoming the "Perimeter Mall" of Charlotte, in comparison to Atlanta where that mall has many high-end retailers (including a Bloomies) and serves the wealthy northern population of Atlanta who don't wish to travel all the way to Lenox/Phipps.

Granted, northern Charlotte has no where near the level of wealth of northern Atlanta, but one day.......

Edited by atlrvr

true, about the Saks in Raleigh. Well, the north/lake area is pretty affluent, and i think if Saks did come to Northlake that would be a good "balance of upscaleness" throughout the city instead of having everything in the SouthPark area. And if JC Penney did want to come, take a look at Southpoint in Durham... there's a thriving JC Penney and Nordstrom at that mall.

Edited by cantnot

Saks could work at Northlake, and the types of tenants they're lining up on the higher end could compliment it very well. That market is growing at such a clip that it could happen.

In Raliegh, Saks would have been better at Crabtree Valley Mall still.

The escalators at Sears Eastland are horrible. They don't look old enough to be recycled from downtown, but they may have been replaced at some point.

Any speculation on when they will build the village component of NorthLake? It was part of the original plans...but was put on as a "Phase 2"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

supposedly 2 years after the mall opens it'll open... so around September 2007 i guess

also, to put an end to any speculation, in today's paper it said that Hecht's will in fact open as a Hecht's store, not Macy's.

Edited by cantnot

^to add to that

You know, It's too bad Charlotte never got a taste of Galyan's and it had to open as Dick's.  I wish Galyan's had done what Hecht's is doing, and opening as originally planned before converting over.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true. Galyan's was a cooler store than Dick's ever could be.

I wonder if Hecht's will go with the standad May Company decor package, or whether it will look like a Macy's. I know when Thalhimers opened in Cary back in '91 under similar circumstances, the store looked like a Carter Hawley Hale store on the outside and a standard May prototype on the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - another Charlotte mall, so counting the mall in Concord (even though it is a sattelite city, Concord is more of a suburb than Gastonia or Rock Hill - am I right?), Charlotte will have 5 malls! Eastlake is still open right?

Considering when I left Rock Hill Charlotte only had 2 malls. Of course, I know it sounds boomerish to brag about malls, but it does indicate the size of the urban area - just as the number of high schools do as well (Rock Hill will have 3 high schools & 5 middle schools in 2 years - up from 2 high & 3 junior high when I left).

Wow - another Charlotte mall, so counting the mall in Concord (even though it is a sattelite city, Concord is more of a suburb than Gastonia or Rock Hill - am I right?), Charlotte will have 5 malls!  Eastlake is still open right?

Considering when I left Rock Hill Charlotte only had 2 malls.  Of course, I know it sounds boomerish to brag about malls, but it does indicate the size of the urban area - just as the number of high schools do as well (Rock Hill will have 3 high schools & 5 middle schools in 2 years - up from 2 high & 3 junior high when I left).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, greater charlotte will have 5 major malls.

SouthPark, Eastland, Carolina Place, Concord Mills and now Northlake.

Edited by cantnot