Northlake Mall

I really enjoy visiting the Streets at Southpoint in Durham. It's an attractive combo of outdoor shopping plaza and enclosed stores. Given NL's solidly midrange price point a fountain adorned outdoor village perhaps did not make sense.

However Southpoint is more inviting to me than Birkdale. The latter is too clogged with cars. The main shopping area should have been conceived as a totally car free zone. The experience would be much more pleasant.

There's no proof that the public actually prefers them. Other than being able to park close to the store, most people I talk to don't like open air malls very much at all.

They're fine in the fall if the weather is nice, but, for me, they're miserable in the spring (pollen), summer (heat) and winter (cold). I don't see the appeal at all.

LOL, so true Stephen. It always cracks me up when suburbanites say they feel threatened - when we can all read between the lines and see it's because they see people that don't dress or look exactly like they do. My gosh, diversity!! So they run back to their quaint little bedroom communities where they are back in their comfort zone.

Nice to see that stereotypes are alive and well. Most suburbonites live in their communities so they can have yards for their children to play and provide a safe "comfort zone" for their families. Any undeserved labeling is personal and certainly doesn' t apply to all that don't live in town. People should be vigil and be suspicious of questionable looking individuals when in isolated or precarious areas. Northlake has had a surge of crime over the last few years. People shouldn't disregard that and let down their guards. It has nothing to do with diversity and all about common sense.

I really enjoy visiting the Streets at Southpoint in Durham. It's an attractive combo of outdoor shopping plaza and enclosed stores. Given NL's solidly midrange price point a fountain adorned outdoor village perhaps did not make sense.

However Southpoint is more inviting to me than Birkdale. The latter is too clogged with cars. The main shopping area should have been conceived as a totally car free zone. The experience would be much more pleasant.

Southpoint didn't appeal to me much at first because I though the "olde Durham" theme was a little heavy handed. It's grown on me because it reflects some of the better traits of modern retail design. To be sure, the option of open air shopping is a nice idea, I just don't see much point in a modern regional mall being completely open-air or completely enclosed for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest closings...

Haagen Dazs, Godiva, the Cookie House, and Brookstone. Bennington Bagels is closing as well.

With the continued recession/depression and Birkdale so close, I am less than optimistic about the future of this mall. Charlotte's retail is way overbuilt and this year as business' leases are running out we are really starting to see the effects of that.

Latest closings...

Haagen Dazs, Godiva, the Cookie House, and Brookstone. Bennington Bagels is closing as well.

With the continued recession/depression and Birkdale so close, I am less than optimistic about the future of this mall. Charlotte's retail is way overbuilt and this year as business' leases are running out we are really starting to see the effects of that.

I noticed those closings as well. Haagen Dazs was overpriced, I'm sure they can replace it with another ice cream shop. The cookie house looked lame and temporary anyway. Brookstone is kind of going in the direction of dinosaurs just like Sharper Image did. Some of these closings aren't really a big deal in my opinion, however it does make the mall like more empty which is not good. There needs to be some openings to counter these closings otherwise this mall's reputation is going to get even worse.

I guess I just don't see this reputation bust that some folks talk about. Northlake, to me, is just another mall like Carolina Place. And the Observer just printed numbers a month ago that cited something like a 95% occupancy rate at the mall. Eastland this is not. Just because it doesn't have a mix of stores that you frequent doesn't mean there aren't tens of thousands of other North Charlotte residents (or this one South Charlotte resident) for whom the mall is very useful.

I noticed those closings as well. Haagen Dazs was overpriced, I'm sure they can replace it with another ice cream shop. The cookie house looked lame and temporary anyway. Brookstone is kind of going in the direction of dinosaurs just like Sharper Image did. Some of these closings aren't really a big deal in my opinion, however it does make the mall like more empty which is not good. There needs to be some openings to counter these closings otherwise this mall's reputation is going to get even worse.

Agree the vacant space is a lot bigger deal than the closings themselves. I don't think there has been any major openings at Northlake recently am I wrong?

How's the regular foot traffic at Northlake? When I was there on 1/1/2011 it was pretty busy- even a lot of cars outside, and people inside, the Dillard's, which had seemed pretty quiet when the mall first opened.

Thats good to hear. I've seen decent number reports about the mall despite things I've heard from people about the mall struggling. I went a few times over the summer and it seemed dead, Its great to hear that its busy. The closings don't help its case but maybe the mall is still coming into its own as to what kind of mall its going to be. I think it was originally intended to be more upscale than it will end up being. Charlotte's upscale offering is SouthPark and the market really can't support multiple upscale developments (nor should it because the large, centralized location of SouthPark is very beneficial to it landing retailers).

How's the regular foot traffic at Northlake? When I was there on 1/1/2011 it was pretty busy- even a lot of cars outside, and people inside, the Dillard's, which had seemed pretty quiet when the mall first opened.

Of course its going to be busy on a holiday. Try coming on a weekday and no holiday. I've worked in the mall for 5 years, foot traffic has decreased very much over the years. Mainly Fridays though after 5pm when the teen law kicks in, this mall looks like a regular weekday.

Charlotte needs a second Apple store. There is always a line to get into the one at Southpark. Northlake would be a great location and would be an excellent shot in the arm for the mall.

Agreed. Everytime I've tried to go to the one at Southpark it's mobbed, even if the rest of the mall isn't. At a minimum the SP location size could be doubled.

Charlotte needs a second Apple store. There is always a line to get into the one at Southpark. Northlake would be a great location and would be an excellent shot in the arm for the mall.

Not to threadjack but uptown would be the perfect spot for a second apple store

(it would actually be a third Apple store, there is one in the student union at UNCC)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting note that in the Borders released list of store closings by state the two Charlotte stores including the Northlake Mall store were on the list. Seems the Northlake Mall store must be bringing in enough business.

You mean the two Charlotte stores are NOT on the list. Thats good news...for now. In my opinion brick-and-mortar stores need to find some way to innovate and bring the younger generation in or they will be gone (which will create a huge commercial real-estate problem). The younger generation shops almost exclusively online and that is killing traditional retail. First it was music stores, then video stores, and now it looks like bookstores are next.

That's a shame about Borders. I tend to find a much better selection there over Barnes and Noble. Sadly, they haven't done as well of a job at creating a distinct personality or identity like Barnes has. While it is not a guarantee of success, retailers that do a great job at creating a strong brand will hold out longer than others.

With more and more of the tablet readers being sold I think BAM and Barnes stores will go under before we know it. Personally I would rather turn a page, but I guess I'm just old school.