Northlake Mall

For the stores that are closing- maybe it's a combination of business level + lease terms that prompted the decisions about what'll close? The two Manhattan stores that are listed are in high-traffic areas, and at least the 57th & Park one does a lot of business. I'd think that the landlords are probably glad to see Borders gone and replaced with a more creditworthy tenant- maybe the landlord didn't balk, but at Northlake, Taubman would have pitched a fit, since the mall apparently isn't doing that well?

Looks like Borders is leaving the Triangle completely if they are closing their Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill and Apex locations :-(

Wow. You know, I had thought they'd close Charlotte's Northlake and Stonecrest stores before closing any of the Triangle stores. That does come as a surprise. Not surprised about the Greensboro location, but why keep the other Triad (Winston-Salem) store open instead?

Edit: Mike, one Raleigh location will remain open on N. Six Forks Road (There are two Border's on that road).

Edited by DigitalSky

You mean the two Charlotte stores are NOT on the list. Thats good news...for now. In my opinion brick-and-mortar stores need to find some way to innovate and bring the younger generation in or they will be gone (which will create a huge commercial real-estate problem). The younger generation shops almost exclusively online and that is killing traditional retail. First it was music stores, then video stores, and now it looks like bookstores are next.

Well that's not me. I'm 21 and I hardly every buy anything online. I actually appreciate seeing items in store, etc. But the only reason why I order online is if I can't get to the store for a while or it's too far away, or that any of the stores around me don't have what I'm looking for. But then again I go to Atlanta 1-2 times per year and Charlotte 3-4 times per year.

Well that's not me. I'm 21 and I hardly every buy anything online. I actually appreciate seeing items in store, etc. But the only reason why I order online is if I can't get to the store for a while or it's too far away, or that any of the stores around me don't have what I'm looking for. But then again I go to Atlanta 1-2 times per year and Charlotte 3-4 times per year.

I too don't buy online unless it's something I can't find locally. I believe in keeping my money in the local economy. That said I am at odds with most of my generation since most people my age order everything online that they can (or for things they need immediately they will purchase at a brick-and-mortar, order online and then return the item to the brick-and-mortar when the online-ordered item is delivered). It's no wonder so many well established retailers are going bankrupt.

• 1 month later...

There has been a rumor going around that a Apple store might be coming northlake mall. Can anyone say if this is true or not?

I can confirm that this rumor is true. Apple will be opening their second store in Charlotte sometime in 2011 in Northlake Mall.

• Like 1

I can confirm that this rumor is true. Apple will be opening their second store in Charlotte sometime in 2011 in Northlake Mall.

Thats great news. Look for more serious tenants to follow Apple into Northlake. Apple is a destination retailer and other retailers want to share a development with it. This is exactly what this mall needed.

Edited by bchris02

So the mall is thus not dying- that's a good shot in the arm.

Eddie Bauer has had so many financial problems- even the one at Haywood Mall in Greenville closed, and that's the only mall there.

Its more a shot in the leg (shot in the leg will kill you eventually), only because they are the main street stores not a side stores. Bebe will be the next to close.

I used to be a big Eddie Bauer fan, but in the past few years their quality has nose dived. I'm sorry, but not surprised, to see it closing.

Eddie Bauer is kind of a "has been" store and its not a big deal that they are closing. I am surprised they've lasted this long. What concerns me more is all the empty spaces in Northlake. The past couple years have seen numerous closings but virtually no openings, as opposed to Southpark which is able to fill empty spaces very quickly. The mall is too nice and too new to become another Eastland. I am hoping the Apple store will be a turning point in this mall towards the better.

Eddie Bauer is kind of a "has been" store and its not a big deal that they are closing. I am surprised they've lasted this long. What concerns me more is all the empty spaces in Northlake. The past couple years have seen numerous closings but virtually no openings, as opposed to Southpark which is able to fill empty spaces very quickly. The mall is too nice and too new to become another Eastland. I am hoping the Apple store will be a turning point in this mall towards the better.

I think Apple will absolutely recall their plans to open at Northlake if this continues. If they close two of these four key stores (Anthropologie, Pottery Barn, Brooks Brothers, Z-Gallerie) that set it apart from Carolina Place, then Apple may try to get a larger store at SouthPark instead.

Also, how long will the Borders chain last? Even if the Northlake store is doing fine, that's surely another potential closing.

Is bebe at Northlake closing? (I don't shop there or have any interest in the store per se, being a guy, but am always curious about closings.)

Wouldn't that be their third store in Charlotte? There is already a boutique Apple brand store in the student union at UNCC called NinerTech.

In any event, having an apple store could be just what Northlake needs to turn its trend back around. Remember though that even with these closings, Northlake is still returning a sizeable profit. Should the trend continue however, this could quickly change.

Wouldn't that be their third store in Charlotte? There is already a boutique Apple brand store in the student union at UNCC called NinerTech.

In any event, having an apple store could be just what Northlake needs to turn its trend back around. Remember though that even with these closings, Northlake is still returning a sizeable profit. Should the trend continue however, this could quickly change.

No it's not a real Apple store I don't think. But seriously I wouldn't count it because I doubt anyone that doesn't go to UNCC ever goes to that store anyway. If it's a true Apple store It will be on their website.

No it's not a real Apple store I don't think. But seriously I wouldn't count it because I doubt anyone that doesn't go to UNCC ever goes to that store anyway. If it's a true Apple store It will be on their website.

This is one of their educational stores. I am pretty sure that you can't buy anything from there unless you are a student at UNCC.

This is one of their educational stores. I am pretty sure that you can't buy anything from there unless you are a student at UNCC.

Yes and No. I wouldn't call it an educational store as they stock all Apple products for sale and offer servicing on apple products (regardless of whether you purchase there or not) , but you have to be a student or faculty/staff of UNC Charlotte to purchase.