Northlake Mall

I really don't know what's funnier, the premesis of this rumor that Apple would open a store in Northlake, or how eager everyone is to believe it.

http://www.ifoapplestore.com

http://www.ifoapples...chronology.html

I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe that Charlotte would get a second location. Here are the number of Apple store locations per metro for some random cities:

Atlanta - 4

Tampa - 2

Orlando - 3

Raleigh/Durham - 2

Pittsburgh - 3

Columbus - 2

Kansas City - 2

St. Louis - 2

San Antonio - 2

Austin - 2

Las Vegas - 3

Portland - 3

I'm pretty certain if places like Columbus, Pittsburgh and Tampa can handle multiple locations then we can too. I'm not sure how often you visit the Apple store, but the store is always packed making it very hard to move around let alone shop.

And just so you know... its happening. I too have my sources. With that said, ATLRVR has never lead us astray in 5+ years of service, and has an excellent reputation on UP, one that you have not earned. He somehow breaks pretty much everything weeks before they happen and has yet to bear anything that has proven wrong, something I cannot even say about myself.

Edited by Guest

And just so you know... its happening. I too have my sources. With that said, ATLRVR has never lead us astray in 5+ years of service, and has an excellent reputation on UP, one that you have not earned. He somehow breaks pretty much everything weeks before they happen and has yet to bear anything that has proven wrong, something I cannot even say about myself.

I don't doubt that an Apple store is coming to Northlake. (Unlike the other person's claims about Nordstrom and Prada in the other forum, the Apple assertions seem reasonable and credible.)

Check out the links I posted. Everything you ever wanted to know and more about past, current and future Apple Store openings, both Official and rumored.

Charlotte is overdue for a second, I agree. An Apple Store downtown would be a killer. And would absolutely drive retail into center city. Open it in time for the DNC. C'mon Apple!

People in the Greenville, SC forum fall for one guy who keeps claiming that stores such as Nordstrom and Prada are opening there. An Apple store at Northlake seems like a reasonable thing to happen.

You're not talking about me are you?

Edited by ct36

I'll second this... Atlrvr is probably one of the best inside sources we have on UP. He says another Apple store is opening in Northlake, then it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The store I work at we see around 30 - 35 people Monday - Thursday, Friday and Sunday we see 60 people, and Saturday around 120 people. These numbers are always consistant. Now we make $200 - $250 Monday - Thursday, Friday and Sunday $400 and Saturday $1000. I want to know how in the world we can afford a $7000 rent, pay for all our supplies which is $4500 a month and employee paychecks $3200 a month. I think we are in the red most of the year. So tell me how are we still in business?

The store I work at we see around 30 - 35 people Monday - Thursday, Friday and Sunday we see 60 people, and Saturday around 120 people. These numbers are always consistant. Now we make $200 - $250 Monday - Thursday, Friday and Sunday $400 and Saturday $1000. I want to know how in the world we can afford a $7000 rent, pay for all our supplies which is $4500 a month and employee paychecks $3200 a month. I think we are in the red most of the year. So tell me how are we still in business?

What store is that?

I worry about some of the more upscale stores at Northlake. Charlotte is not Atlanta and I don't think the area can support more than one upscale mall. I hope the mall can hang on until the when/if the economy recovers. The only thing that will truly save it long term is greater population density in North Charlotte and-or destination retail.

The Northlake situation reminds me a lot of Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City. Built in the middle of nowhere in far north OKC during the beginning stages of the severe recession of 1980-82, the mall struggled for many years after its initial opening until sprawl caught up with it. By the 1990s it had become a solid mall, but it took a while to get there.

What store is that?

I worry about some of the more upscale stores at Northlake. Charlotte is not Atlanta and I don't think the area can support more than one upscale mall. I hope the mall can hang on until the when/if the economy recovers. The only thing that will truly save it long term is greater population density in North Charlotte and-or destination retail.

The Northlake situation reminds me a lot of Quail Springs Mall in Oklahoma City. Built in the middle of nowhere in far north OKC during the beginning stages of the severe recession of 1980-82, the mall struggled for many years after its initial opening until sprawl caught up with it. By the 1990s it had become a solid mall, but it took a while to get there.

I think that Charlotte can support 1 upscale mall and 1 semi-upscale mall, which is what it has. It does have Birkdale too, but it's still smaller. I've only been to Northlake once on a Saturday morning, so I can't really say much about it. Oddly enough the parking lot itself was actually pretty full, however, the mall was practically empty. It was actually more like about 11/12 (so more like lunch time), so I'm surprised it wasn't crowded. I guess it could be because it was in August with good weather so people must've wanted to do some stuff before they can't do anything but sit at the house, go to a movie, or shopping. SouthPark is almost always busy when I go. It was every time except for the one time that I went on a Wednesday afternoon.

I know the A&F store at the Quail Springs Malls recently closed. The one at Sooner Mall closed there as well. If the same situation happens in Charlotte, it would mean that the A&F at Northlake and Carolina Place would close (only the SouthPark store would be left). I know that Penn Square is more upscale though since it is the only one with A&F now and I know it has a Pottery Barn.

I would be surprised if A&F closed in either Charlotte mall if it hasn't by now (I think the closings were announced last August). Northlake is close enough to the University area that store probably gets enough business and of course Carolina Place is the teen mall. Sooner Mall in Norman is very small and can't really be compared to Carolina Place. The true OKC counterpart to CP is Crossroads, which is in sad shape. Fortunately, CP doesn't suffer from the same ills Crossroads did.

I would be surprised if A&F closed in either Charlotte mall if it hasn't by now (I think the closings were announced last August). Northlake is close enough to the University area that store probably gets enough business and of course Carolina Place is the teen mall. Sooner Mall in Norman is very small and can't really be compared to Carolina Place. The true OKC counterpart to CP is Crossroads, which is in sad shape. Fortunately, CP doesn't suffer from the same ills Crossroads did.

Hmm interesting. A&F does their stores by tiers (by volume/size of the store):

SouthPark is a tier 2 mens/ tier 2 womens

Northlake is a tier 2 womens/tier 3 mens

Carolina Place is a tier 3 mens/tier 3 womens

So, as you can see, if one of them were to close, it would be the Carolina Place store. Besides CP is closer to SouthPark than Northlake is to SouthPark. Besides, the store in Hickory closed, so I suppose that means a few more online orders, a small boost to the store here in Asheville, as well as a little for Northlake and SouthPark as well. I don't think Carolina Place is close enough/ a good enough mall to be counted anyways. A few of their closings so far did surprise me, such as the Flat Iron Crossing location, which is slightly more upscale than Northlake.

• 3 weeks later...

Umm yeah it's still pretty popular, just a little less so now.

You had to have A&F when I was in high school...umm..17 years ago. It was stupid expensive even then. I lived near Salisbury so would always go to Hanes Mall in W-S. LOVED that store. Now it just seems dumb to spend that kind of money on clothes.

Also I think NorthLake could support a Nordstrom store. There is amazing buying power in the LKN area. Charlotte hasnt stopped growing so I see no reason why it wouldnt work. Of course I always thought NL should have been built a little farther up 77. Birkdale probably catches alot of LKN shoppers from going down to NL.

You had to have A&F when I was in high school...umm..17 years ago. It was stupid expensive even then. I lived near Salisbury so would always go to Hanes Mall in W-S. LOVED that store. Now it just seems dumb to spend that kind of money on clothes.

Also I think NorthLake could support a Nordstrom store. There is amazing buying power in the LKN area. Charlotte hasnt stopped growing so I see no reason why it wouldnt work. Of course I always thought NL should have been built a little farther up 77. Birkdale probably catches alot of LKN shoppers from going down to NL.

Oh wow, You might want to think about what you just said a bit more. So you say that you don't know why anyone would pay that much on clothes, then you say Northlake should get a Nordstrom? Wow. In case you haven't noticed, Nordstrom is WAY WAY more expensive than A&F. Northlake can't support it. In case you also haven't noticed, none of the Lake Norman residents that can afford Nordstrom actually shop at Northlake. They all go to SouthPark or go to Atlanta/Washington or somewhere.

Edited by ct36

Oh wow, You might want to think about what you just said a bit more. So you say that you don't know why anyone would pay that much on clothes, then you say Northlake should get a Nordstrom? Wow. In case you haven't noticed, Nordstrom is WAY WAY more expensive than A&F. Northlake can't support it. In case you also haven't noticed, none of the Lake Norman residents that can afford Nordstrom actually shop at Northlake. They all go to SouthPark or go to Atlanta/Washington or somewhere.

I am aware of Nordstrom being more expensive then A&F. Though I myself wouldn't spend money at either store, lots of people would. I am curious where you get your idea that people of LKN that can afford Nordstrom would drive, or fly for that matter, to ATL or DCA? Yes I do know of people that fly out of town for major shopping sprees but as a rule no. I can understand them going to SouthPark, but maybe if they had more choices at NL such as Nordstrom, they would go to NL. I am not saying NL could ever support the same stores as SP, but I have no doubt that it could support more upscale.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that this rumor is true. Apple will be opening their second store in Charlotte sometime in 2011 in Northlake Mall.

For those of you needing 'proof' from Apple rumor sites, 9to5mac.com is reporting that the store will open in the 4th quarter of this year (2011): http://bit.ly/lNNJsS

Here is the building permit request: http://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/webpermit/default.asp?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=64068576