Northlake Mall

Are teens/college students still wearing A&F? 10 years ago in many schools it was so popular you were outcasted if you didnt wear it.

Maybe teens are but college students aren't. If you wear A&F in college you are outcast. Columbia, North Face, Polo, and other stuff like that is the basics for college students these days.

With Apple coming, maybe the previously reported death spiral at Northlake may have been greatly exaggerated...

Just reread this forum and would have to agree about the exaggerated death spiral. People somehow expect malls to instantly be completely full with all name-brand, top-quality stores. Mall management is a game of give and take and you never really get to the perfect combination of stores.

Maybe teens are but college students aren't. If you wear A&F in college you are outcast. Columbia, North Face, Polo, and other stuff like that is the basics for college students these days.

Just reread this forum and would have to agree about the exaggerated death spiral. People somehow expect malls to instantly be completely full with all name-brand, top-quality stores. Mall management is a game of give and take and you never really get to the perfect combination of stores.

Umm no not really. I'm in college and I'm definitely not outcasted. I see way more A&F than those brands. Pretty much all of the people who work there are college students too.

Umm no not really. I'm in college and I'm definitely not outcasted. I see way more A&F than those brands. Pretty much all of the people who work there are college students too.

I guess it just depends on what college you are talking about. Even freshmen are pushing it wearing a&f, American eagle, abercrombie and other teen brands that people associate with middle and high school.

To each their own.

I guess it just depends on what college you are talking about. Even freshmen are pushing it wearing a&f, American eagle, abercrombie and other teen brands that people associate with middle and high school.

To each their own.

True but A&F's target market is 18-22.

True but A&F's target market is 18-22.

Their STATED target market is 18-22, for legal purposes, as they pump out some of the more risque advertising in the apparel business. Having worked on the A&F account in NYC as a contractor I can assure you that their actual target market is 14-20 (to 22).

Let me interject as someone who doesn't follow this thread often. I had not been to either mall in a while until this past week. Both seemed to have a few vacancies here and there, but overall it wasn't really noticeable. I actually prefer Northlake because it's easier to access and the traffic doesn't suck. I know Southpark offers certain brands/stores that Northlake doesn't, but I'm not a brand shopper and I don't think a huge percentage of people are either. Basically, I think Northlake is going to be fine (at least from my commoner point of view).

To each their own.

I disagree. I know several people in their mid-20s who still wear these brands casually. Of course not to the club, but to the gym and/or just out and about there is nothing wrong with these brands.

• 1 month later...

Yeah Barnes and Noble is rather more upscale. The definitely have a nicer atmosphere, and they have Starbucks and a better selection than BAM. I've never actually been to BAM in Asheville. B&N is probably twice the size, so there's really no reason. Especially since B&N is at the mall.

If they don't open a Barnes & Noble or a Books-A-Million in the former Borders spot, for some odd reason I have a gut feeling that Cheesecake Factory will probably open there. The Triangle already has 2 locations and even Oklahoma has 2 locations. I totally see that happening...

If they don't open a Barnes & Noble or a Books-A-Million in the former Borders spot, for some odd reason I have a gut feeling that Cheesecake Factory will probably open there. The Triangle already has 2 locations and even Oklahoma has 2 locations. I totally see that happening...

How large is the space? TCF would definitely extensively renovate or start new, but if they just want to renovate I would imagine that the space is too large for them solely.

• 4 weeks later...

Right next to the new Apple store, there is a Limited being built (where Eddie Bauer used to be). I thought this mall already had a Limited? I guess not. It's good to see that this mall is replacing tenants fast. I wonder what will take the Borders spot.

Thats good to hear. Apple is a HUGE step in the right direction for this mall. Now, if they can just lure H&M into the old Border's space it can definitely become Charlotte's "2nd" mall.