Northlake Mall

I visited NL yesterday and went into the Apple store....It is HUGE!!! It's probably twice as big as the SP location and what I love about it is that the ceilings are higher which makes it feel even bigger. Weird thing was that it wasn't that busy, but then again it was a tuesday night.

• 5 months later...

• 11 months later...

I went to Northlake yesterday and was surprised at how well the mall seems to be doing.  There were plenty of cars in the parking lot and plenty of new stores under construction (some women's clothing stores) and recently opened (a massive Forever 21)--but oddly, apart from the Apple Store, there weren't a lot of customers in the mall.

The mall just has to replace that Borders space with something decent though!

Edited by mallguy

I went to Northlake yesterday and was surprised at how well the mall seems to be doing.  There were plenty of cars in the parking lot and plenty of new stores under construction (some women's clothing stores) and recently opened (a massive Forever 21)--but oddly, apart from the Apple Store, there weren't a lot of customers in the mall.

The mall just has to replace that Borders space with something decent though!

Yes, I noticed they are adding a Chico's and White House/Black Market.  The Forever 21 is humongous! They had to shuffle several stores around to make way for that thing.  I would say the mall is about 97% full...not bad for what people kept saying several years back...

• 4 months later...

Helzberg Diamonds and Build-A-Bear workshop have both closed.  Meanwhile, Taco Bell is replacing the Currito Burrito place in the food court.  The new relocated Forever 21 space is huge and was very busy today.

Boo - that Currito place was pretty good I thought. However they lacked a good selection of salsas (I'm not a pico de gallo fan).

Boo - that Currito place was pretty good I thought. However they lacked a good selection of salsas (I'm not a pico de gallo fan).

Meh. Ate there once a few months ago and both the service AND the burrito were sub-par. The two girls working the counter seemed rather annoyed that I came up and wanted to get a bite to eat but they managed to muddle through making me the worst burrito I've ever had in my life. Handily one of the worst $7 I've ever spent.

• 2 weeks later...

H&M is cool but I wish for a UNIQLO like in San Francisco and NYC instead.

Theres one down the street from my office, and its just meh. Weird sizes this season.

• 4 weeks later...

^Let's Hope it is H&M as speculated.  It really is a prime spot.

Lots of activity at Northlake with the old Borders store and looks like some of the food court. 

swzi.jpg

2d0t.jpg

pu2w.jpg

It is in fact going to be an H&M.  I have a friend who is a manager of one of the restaurants at the mall and told me it will be an H&M.  I wonder if it will be 2 stories... :dontknow:

• 3 weeks later...

The Observer is reporting that it will in fact be an H&M, and a large one at that - 24,000 sqft! That is roughly the size of the larger ones in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, and Orlando that I've been to, and will be the largest in NC. So it must be 2 stories. Being a store that large, they are going to be carrying all of the H&M lines, including maternity, kids, accessories, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's really uncanny when you go to Northlake now.  Some of the stores would have you thinking it's almost on the caliber of some of the nicer malls in America.  And some stores just remind you of Eastland right before it departed.  Diversity? Wishful thinking? Foreboding? I haven't quite decided yet.

On the bright side, one look at the gigantic lines at the bus stops outside of the mall at least show off how popular mass transit is becoming in the area.  I've seen three buses lined up picking people up on each side of the road before.  Words can't describe.  It's not often that you see the need for much larger bus shelters.

It's really uncanny when you go to Northlake now.  Some of the stores would have you thinking it's almost on the caliber of some of the nicer malls in America.  And some stores just remind you of Eastland right before it departed.  Diversity? Wishful thinking? Foreboding? I haven't quite decided yet.

On the bright side, one look at the gigantic lines at the bus stops outside of the mall at least show off how popular mass transit is becoming in the area.  I've seen three buses lined up picking people up on each side of the road before.  Words can't describe.  It's not often that you see the need for much larger bus shelters.

Public transit is not a bad thing....but unfortunately in Charlotte or in the South in general there's always that stigma and tend to associate it with poor people.