Northlake Mall

On 10/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, Temeteron said:

This happened a while ago, I believe two years ago when the South End Anthropologie opened.  It seems that there is a shift in demographics and there is a much higher concentration of wealthy millennials in South End, Uptown and surrounding areas so it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw more of those types of stores moving.  I hate to say this but if Apple store closes and/or relocated out from Northlake (and I have a feeling that it might) that will create an even more downward spiral with the tenant lineup there.  IMO, they should’ve opened these stores (excluding the dept stores) in uptown or somewhere neighboring to uptown in the first place.  But of course back in 2003-2004 when they were planning this, no one believed in uptown retail.  

Apple’s downtown stores look amazing. Maybe a location in either Second Ward Village, somewhere on Stonewall, or in the Gateway Station would be perfect for an Apple Store. 

Though, I always assumed an Uptown location would be entirely new, rather than a relocation. I  would honestly expect the Northlake location to relocate to either Concord Mills, or somewhere in Huntersville or Mooresville. The Northlake location probably does well because it serves north Mecklenburg and southern Iredell. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Cityplanner said:

I looked at the directory (I haven't been there in ages) and Anthropologie is gone, too.  Ouch.

Looks like a bunch of no-name stores have moved in, too.

Northlake drew people from the LKN and Statesville region, especially after signal mall started loosing anchor tenants. There are vastly more retail options in the LKN and Statesville markets now than there were when Northlake mall opened. I know the traffic on I 77, before the toll roads, was a huge disincentive for folks to drive south. I think between the increased local retail options and e-commerce I think Northlake will inevitably close unless they repurpose parts or the entire mall. 

6 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

since Singapore is #1 on my list of international places to visit I predict within 2 years I will visit this new store maybe the buzz will be off the store by then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

since Singapore is #1 on my list of international places to visit I predict within 2 years I will visit this new store maybe the buzz will be off the store by then. 

It'll be closed for film shoots as it is used in every single movie based in the future. 

• Haha 2

There are still a decent number of mid-tier tenants. Apple, Loft, Michael Kors, Pandora, Pottery Barn, Sephora, Swarovski, and White House Black Market all come to mind. I would be worried if they all start to leave. You can't necessarily count Brooks Brothers as closing as a sign of things to come at the mall as they are bankrupt . They closed several other locations in premium markets. 

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Be prepared to wait in line for hours behind hoards and hoards and hoards of Mainland Chinese tourists. 

Last time I was in Singapore the Louis Vuitton store (similar setup over the water by Marina Bay Sands) had a 90 minute wait time to get in...no thanks in the 95 degree heat. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, jordan704 said:

Dick’s and Starbucks have closed. 

Wow, that's really bad.  Dick's is an anchor that doesn't seem too selective about the malls that it's in.  And there are Starbucks everywhere.

The sign of "game over" for a mall in the South is when Belk and Chick-fil-A close, but losing Dick's and Starbucks is pretty close.  I'd expect this to be the beginning of a steady trickle or stream of stores closing.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:14 PM, Cityplanner said:

Wow, that's really bad.  Dick's is an anchor that doesn't seem too selective about the malls that it's in.  And there are Starbucks everywhere.

The sign of "game over" for a mall in the South is when Belk and Chick-fil-A close, but losing Dick's and Starbucks is pretty close.  I'd expect this to be the beginning of a steady trickle or stream of stores closing.

Interestingly enough, I was in Atlanta this past weekend and  the Starbucks in Lenox Square that was smack dab in the middle of the hallway which was always super busy has closed.  When I asked the mall service people where there I another one, they said only other one was in Macy’s.  Seems strange to me that they would close it.  I have a feeling the Apple store at Northlake will either close or relocate.  It doesn’t make sense to me that it’s there.  

Where would the Apple Store go--Birkdale?  Maybe someone, at last, could lure it uptown (although that would be inconvenient for the slews of high-income people in north Mecklenburg).

I can't figure out why some stores in high-traffic areas close- maybe the Lenox Square's Starbucks paid too much rent for its volume, even if had a lot of business?

Edited by Cityplanner

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cityplanner said:

So the mall is already losing stores and now this.  Really infuriating to let low-life thugs contribute to the downward spiral of a very nice development.

What do you do though? I’ve been to malls with “curfews” and stuff, and when it gets to that point, it just feels draconian. 

2 hours ago, nakers2 said:

What do you do though? I’ve been to malls with “curfews” and stuff, and when it gets to that point, it just feels draconian. 

Taubman made the right choice to just sell the place.

The only way I see to totally fix the problem would be for people who somehow get the idea to bring a gun to the mall and use it simply decide that they have better uses for their time, but that's a long-range approach.  

Getting rid of the low-end stores on the lower level might help, but then the mall would dramatically increase its vacancy rate.  Maybe a better police presence and curfews, but that scares people off, too.