Northlake Mall

2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Pottery Barn closed, too?

And -1 anchor?

Seems like this is the next Eastland.  Really, really unfortunate, since it's such a nice-looking mall.

I seems that Williams-Sonoma which owns Pottery Barn, West Elm, and other retailers is reducing it's overall brick and mortar presence and concentrating on online were apparently it has been successful during the pandemic.

13 hours ago, rancenc said:

I seems that Williams-Sonoma which owns Pottery Barn, West Elm, and other retailers is reducing it's overall brick and mortar presence and concentrating on online were apparently it has been successful during the pandemic.

Yes, you are correct.

It’s just one less store that would attract me to Northlake.

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Northlake's location was supposed to strategically be the gateway mall to the affluent northern suburbs of Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, et. It only takes a few security incidents and the nightmare of the I-77 toll lane project dragging on for years to change shopping behaviors. The stores that wanted to tap into $100,000+ income households (like Pottery Barn) are closing up because the folks in Davidson, Cornelius et. just aren't going anymore. With Birkdale Village, online shopping, and boutiques in the lake suburbs it is a tough sell to convince a Cornelius country club mom with $20,000 to spend at Pottery Barn to go to Northlake when she's freaked out about a shooting on Facebook.  The North Meck towns in general don't have a great relationship with the city from the Red Line to a general sense they are always outnumbered.

I also think that if someone from Huntersville/Davidson/Corenlius is going to drive to Northlake they are more than likely happy to drive the extra 20 minutes to go to SouthPark where there is a much greater variety. Even during its busiest times Northlake was very much so a mid-market shopping center. If someone wants to go to an upscale store they were already driving to SouthPark anyways. 

• Like 3

I know someone who lives in Mt Island Lake area and shops a lot at Belks and Dillards.  She told me she would go to Southpark even though it is further as there was a better selection.  

When Northlake was built and being built it was hailed as a replacement for Eastland which had closed however the trend of less mall shopping was just in the infancy then and the trends have continued.  Southpark and Concord Mills continue to do good but it tough for all malls.  I think the big empty space out front that at one point was going to be more retail should now be developed as housing as there are lots of apartments in the area.  Dittos for the anchor vacancy down at Carolina Place. 

• Like 4

On 4/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, KJHburg said:

I know someone who lives in Mt Island Lake area and shops a lot at Belks and Dillards.  She told me she would go to Southpark even though it is further as there was a better selection.  

This.

I don't think people are turned off by the crime per se but rather I think if people were driving down to SouthPark to go to stores that Northlake did not have, they probably just figured it was worth it to go to SouthPark anyways. My parents live on Lake Norman and I don't think they have been to Northlake in years, although they do go to SouthPark for the better selection. With store closures, this situation will just further be exacerbated. 

I feel sad about Northlake. I really like the architecture of the mall, especially the Carolina-inspired large murals they have over the corridors. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 8:53 AM, LKN704 said:

This.

I don't think people are turned off by the crime per se but rather I think if people were driving down to SouthPark to go to stores that Northlake did not have, they probably just figured it was worth it to go to SouthPark anyways. My parents live on Lake Norman and I don't think they have been to Northlake in years, although they do go to SouthPark for the better selection. With store closures, this situation will just further be exacerbated. 

I feel sad about Northlake. I really like the architecture of the mall, especially the Carolina-inspired large murals they have over the corridors. 

I like Northlake's architecture enough, but I think it lays the Carolina's theming on a little thick, like the "locally themed" murals at a military town's Texas Roadhouse. (Or the Concord one, but I'll digress.)

To me personally, Northlake was an idea that fell short. I went to the Olive Garden there recently, and besides having a parking lot that could satisfy the bus parking needs of a normal elementary school, it just felt so disconnected from everything, the mall could've been a keystone part of a walkable development, but instead became a receptacle for all the North Charlotte retail that one might typically find in a shopping mall, and even then, many  have moved out, whether it be Birkdale or elsewhere. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I like Northlake's architecture enough, but I think it lays the Carolina's theming on a little thick, like the "locally themed" murals at a military town's Texas Roadhouse. (Or the Concord one, but I'll digress.)

To me personally, Northlake was an idea that fell short. I went to the Olive Garden there recently, and besides having a parking lot that could satisfy the bus parking needs of a normal elementary school, it just felt so disconnected from everything, the mall could've been a keystone part of a walkable development, but instead became a receptacle for all the North Charlotte retail that one might typically find in a shopping mall, and even then, many  have moved out, whether it be Birkdale or elsewhere. 

It was really one of the last indoor malls of its kind built in the US. Had it been built a couple of years later you more than likely would have got an outdoor, courtyard-type mall. 

• Like 4

Still, when this was built it was already known that the standard, 90's style mall was losing favor with shoppers and nothing was done to make this one stand out from another built twenty years earlier. Sure, the retail shift wasn't as front and center as it is today, but if the developer had any foresight they would have not ignored the emerging trends and gotten creative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Still, when this was built it was already known that the standard, 90's style mall was losing favor with shoppers and nothing was done to make this one stand out from another built twenty years earlier. Sure, the retail shift wasn't as front and center as it is today, but if the developer had any foresight they would have not ignored the emerging trends and gotten creative. 

I can’t understand why they didn’t do what some other malls have done like in Durham the streets of south point or International Plaza in Tampa how they have outdoor shops connected to the indoor.  There is so much space at Northlake that is unused. It’s a shame they haven’t taken advantage of that but I feel like it might be too late. 

Just now, Temeteron said:

I can’t understand why they didn’t do what some other malls have done like in Durham the streets of south point or International Plaza in Tampa; how they have outdoor shops connected to the indoor.  There is so much space at Northlake that is unused. It’s a shame they haven’t taken advantage of that but I feel like it might be too late. 

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

This leaves SouthPark as Abercrombie’s only location in the Charlotte market. 

In all honesty I'm FAR removed from that demographic.  However, I worked for the Limited Companies for many years and I think Abercrombie's appeal has come and gone.  The original push was for the beautiful, preppy people (of which I was NOT!) and I don't think that Gen Z - or whatever their moniker may be - is interested in that line of clothing.

Overall, a lot of the stores that Limited owned have either closed, or been collapsed into performing brands.  Not many left from the early to mid 90's anymore.  I can remember walking into any mall and looking at one side and seeing nothing but Limited owned stores all lined up next to each other.  I was in Carolina Place in Pineville the other day and didn't even realize that H&M (I believe) replaced Abercrombie.  Goes to show how often I frequent malls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

This leaves SouthPark as Abercrombie’s only location in the Charlotte market. 

It does! It was sad seeing one of my stores close! And it only leaves four left in the entire state. But when it comes to our Hollister Co. stores, they are strong and making money. Abercombie & Fitch Co. as a brand is no where as popular and mainstream as it used to be, but with the influencers from social media and especially tik tok, the brand is definitely making a strong comeback. The brand is nothing like it was a decade ago. The stock alone proves it! Lol from going from $7 to $40+ within the last two years is very telling and promising! 

7 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

In all honesty I'm FAR removed from that demographic.  However, I worked for the Limited Companies for many years and I think Abercrombie's appeal has come and gone.  The original push was for the beautiful, preppy people (of which I was NOT!) and I don't think that Gen Z - or whatever their moniker may be - is interested in that line of clothing.

Overall, a lot of the stores that Limited owned have either closed, or been collapsed into performing brands.  Not many left from the early to mid 90's anymore.  I can remember walking into any mall and looking at one side and seeing nothing but Limited owned stores all lined up next to each other.  I was in Carolina Place in Pineville the other day and didn't even realize that H&M (I believe) replaced Abercrombie.  Goes to show how often I frequent malls.

That’s awesome! And Abercombie is making a comeback! Hollister Co. is definitely driving the company tho! Also when it comes to the the NorthLake location, the mall will never be able to fill that space, that store is huge.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Northlake is one of 4 malls tied together in default.

from the Biz Journal

Spinoso Real Estate Group appointed as receiver for Northlake Mall in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""A receiver has been appointed for Northlake Mall off W.T. Harris Boulevard after outstanding debt payments allegedly failed to be made and a mortgage associated with the property went into default. It could signal a foreclosure proceeding is to come. A lawsuit filed in Mecklenburg County last month by Wilmington Trust — serving as trustee of a commercial mortgage-backed securities trust involving four U.S. malls, including Northlake — alleges the borrower hasn't kept up with debt payments on the properties. The loan associated with the properties went into default in late 2019.  The property is one of four malls, all of which are owned by entities affiliated with Starwood Capital Group, mentioned in the suit and packaged in the same CMBS portfolio. The other properties are The Mall at Wellington Green in Wellington, Florida; MacArthur Center in Norfolk, Virginia; and The Mall at Partridge Creek in Detroit.""

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Northlake is one of 4 malls tied together in default.

from the Biz Journal

Spinoso Real Estate Group appointed as receiver for Northlake Mall in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""A receiver has been appointed for Northlake Mall off W.T. Harris Boulevard after outstanding debt payments allegedly failed to be made and a mortgage associated with the property went into default. It could signal a foreclosure proceeding is to come. A lawsuit filed in Mecklenburg County last month by Wilmington Trust — serving as trustee of a commercial mortgage-backed securities trust involving four U.S. malls, including Northlake — alleges the borrower hasn't kept up with debt payments on the properties. The loan associated with the properties went into default in late 2019.  The property is one of four malls, all of which are owned by entities affiliated with Starwood Capital Group, mentioned in the suit and packaged in the same CMBS portfolio. The other properties are The Mall at Wellington Green in Wellington, Florida; MacArthur Center in Norfolk, Virginia; and The Mall at Partridge Creek in Detroit.""

I remember the MacArthur Center getting a lot of praise back in the early 90's when it opened in downtown Norfolk.  A big attraction in drawing in visitors to the center city.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I could put this here or under Carolina Place Mall thread as it applies to both.  Reinventing the mall and what is most likely.  I have said residential at CP Mall would be great and I think same on some of the Northlake property as it is surrounded by 1000s of apartments now.  Malls have to evolve and I think both of these will.  Northlake has a huge vacant tract in front of the mall now that could be easily sold off for multifamily development right now. 

How CBRE’s New Team Plans to Reinvent the Mall (wealthmanagement.com)

• Like 3

Parry's Pizzeria and Taphouse closed yesterday. It was the main restaurant on the left side of the H&M / Food Court plaza entrance. Firebirds is the only sit down restaurant that remains and isn't in an outparcel (PF Chang's and TGI Friday's). 

Edited by CLT2014

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Parry's Pizzeria and Taphouse closed yesterday. It was the main restaurant on the left side of the H&M / Food Court plaza entrance. Firebirds is the only sit down restaurant that remains and isn't in an outparcel (PF Chang's and TGI Friday's). 

Olive Garden and Chili’s are still there as out parcels also