Jackson to receive national exposure on the Travel Channel

Rural King

The Jackson Sun reported today that the Travel Channel show "Made in America" hosted former Cheers star John Ratzenberger has filmed an episode for its new season in Jackson highlighting one of the city' s major industrial employers - Maytag. The facility produces roughly 1 million dishwashers annually while employing around 550 workers on-site.

The date of the show airing in the new 5th season of "Made in America" has yet to be announced, as currently season 4 is airing on the Travel Channel.

This is great national exposure for the city of Jackson and one of its highest profile and larger employers. I think such exposure can be nothing but good for the city and its marketing efforts. Definitely shows off the region and its workers in a good light, which is a great IMO.

Anybody else have an opinion on shows like this giving industries and cities positive national exposure.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's great that Jackson gets the positive press. In many ways, it's like Jackson is the under-reported boom town of the state.

Having said all that, up here in Iowa there's some hard feelings towards Maytag. The corporation was headquartered in a small Iowa town, Newton I think, for decades. It pulled out after some merger/buyout deal which left the town devastated.

Iowa lost not only the corp. headquarters, but manufacturing facilities as well. I wonder what the deal was. I would bet from my experience that Iowa has a far better educated workforce than Jackson.

Any thoughts on that?

Whirlpool bought Maytag out and consolidated operations according to the article. It stated that it laid off 4500 workers in the process and shut down three plants along with some offices. I assume those plants and offices are the ones you mentioned. Mergers rarely seem to benefit the workforces of the companies affected (due to the duplication of jobs, indsutrial capacities, etc), even if the new consolidated company and its stockholders benefit in the long run.

I agree that Jackson does often seem to be overlooked by many folks. I think thats slowly changing though with all the progress and growth it is seeing. I hope so at least.

I do have to say most folks on UP TN seem to give Jackson the credit its due - however we tend to be more in the know about locales within the state - so that may skew things a bit. LOL

Archived