The Debate surrounding the Muslim worship center in Hoover

kayman

I find it highly discouraging that people in Hoover are still wrangling and using backhand comments about "traffic" and "lighting" when they really are expressing xenophobic bias over this worship center. When this weekend in Lilburn, GA they are about to open a Hindu temple which is the first one to be open in the Deep South. This community has expressed openess and acceptence towards diversity of religion. Birmingham is the most culturally diverse metropolitan region in the state from being home to the largest Catholic, Jewish populations along with small but growing populous of other religions such as Buddism, Hindu, and Islam. However, we are showing that a large part of our community seems to be more adverse towards this cultural diversity.

I really want to see Birmingham turn that corner and become a more progressive place, and do I do practice this everyday in my own life with acceptance towards others.

Let's discuss this topic and how crucial this issue could be to our future as a diverse, cosmopolitan region.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it high discouraging that people in Hoover are still wrangling and using backhand comments about "traffic" and "lighting" when they really are expressing xenophobic bias over this worship center. When this weekend in Lilburn, GA they are about to open a Hindu temple which is the first one to be open in the Deep South. This community has expressed openess and acceptence towards diversity of religion.

Let's all take time to discuss this topic on this board as it is a reflection of our ideology to not only ourselves but to others when it comes to diversity.

Yeah, I agree with Birmingham being open to different religions, as well as different cultures. Birmingham is now friendlier to gays/lesbians. Birmingham now has "Pride" weekend, parade, and about 5 alternative lifestyle clubs, but that is a different topic.

I can't seem to believe the opposition, and close-mindednes(if that's a word) of Hoover. Hoover is supposed to be one of (if not the) the most diverse city in the region. I honestly could understand the opposition coming from a city like Mountain Brook, Vestavia Hills, or Gardendale, but never Hoover. Maybe if the Muslim center was to give Birmingham, Homewood, or Pelham a try, then Hoover leaders would have a problem with that.

Well, one of the ironic things is the majority of the Muslim population in the region is Hoover. I went to Riverchase last weekend and saw well over 100 different people of Muslim background while in there. It is obvious that they live there in Hoover, but it seems the NIMBYs and closed-minded neo-conservatives have made their distaste with their existence known.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting conversation with a friend today about this dilemma. He said that Hoover is basically showing its "ass" and starting to destroy itself from within. He also talked about how the Hoover is dealing with so many problems that they thought would only be "inner city" issues like crime and murders.

• 3 weeks later...

The worship center at this location is now dead in the water. The land developer, Lou Passarella Jr., withdrew his request for the Hoover City Council to vote upon Friday. This was after Alfa Properties, the current landowners of the property denied an extension on his purchase.

Archived