Colleges seek "Authenticity"

tamias6

According to this article, some student counselors are advising students to intentionally make small mistakes such as typos when applying for collage. The reason being is that colleges are becoming wary of applications that are spot on perfect. Instead schools are now looking for "authenticity". Now I was always told by my parents, teachers, and counselors, that Collages expect perspective students to put their best foot forward because errors and mistakes look really bad. Back in '95 when I applied for art school to seek a BFA in Illustration, it took putting to use everything I was told and then some to get accepted. In essence it was either present myself in the best possible light or get turned down. Therefore what this article states seems contrary to advise and information on how to properly apply for college. That in mind, is the advise of intentionally making small mistakes in applying for college going to give prospective students an advantage and thus worth heeding or is it safer to submit spot on perfect applications?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to believe that any college would want anything but your best work shown. Perhaps they are looking for more originality and ideas when it comes to essays and so forth, but to intentionally make mistakes on a college application? Seems almost blasphemous.

If I were in admissions, and I saw a sentence like this:

Even if Im in the minoritee wehn I say this, I wan't to think my best attribeaute is my ability to see things more creativeley.

I'd throw it in the circular file (although perhaps thats more incorrect then counselors are leading on)

Although if I got an admissions letter in l33t speak, I'd have to bring the student in for an interview just to see how big of a dumb-*** he really is. Sometimes I just have to weep for humanity a little bit to feel better about myself. :rofl:

Try pulling that mess when you apply to Tulane, Harvard, Yale or any other university and see won't you get a rejection letter with the quickness. This article is malarky. When they say authentic, they really mean what separates you from the others vying for a spot. No college would intentionally tell you to make small mistakes.

Archived