Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDetroitCity99

Downtown Detroit Shopping

41 posts in this topic

We NEED some more shops downtown!!I can't stand that we have almost zero clothing stores and the only ones in the RenCen I don't really like.Does anyone have any info on stores coming in?

It IS a good sign. I went to the hardrock cafe tonight and saw lots of people and cars in the streets, and it made me happy to see all that. But one thing I did notcie that wasn't good is that there aren't that many good shops in Downtown. Only in the RenCen can I find designers shops and If I get a condo I don't want to walk 25 minutes to get there.

I am sure as more of the residential projects get done more stores will open. Retail follows rooftops they say.

Exactly. It's going to take some time. While you see some pedestrian traffic downtown, many retailers expect a steady amount of traffic that only more people living downtown can bring.

what downtown needs more importantly now are grocery stores. Driving to the suburbs to shop for clothes is not a problem, but to go far for a bottle of milk and some fruit is ridiculous.

I wonder how much of those basics are provided by Eastern Market? Maybe opening it 2 or 3 times a week instead of just sunday would help with that.

And really, it is to much to have to drive to the store in the suburbs to get a bottle of milk. That is the kind of thing the local milkman should be bringing to you (sarcasism, milk dosn't come in bottles anymore man).

Thanks

I wonder how much of those basics are provided by Eastern Market? Maybe opening it 2 or 3 times a week instead of just sunday would help with that.

And really, it is to much to have to drive to the store in the suburbs to get a bottle of milk. That is the kind of thing the local milkman should be bringing to you (sarcasism, milk dosn't come in bottles anymore man).

Thanks

That's where I go all the time for food. I guess that's where I would go if I got A condo. I'm really considering Watermark or Griswold.

Considering as in looking to buy? I was under the impression that you were in highschool.

Actually, at 19 you can afford a loft downtown if you make $12/hour and can walk to work. The problem is at that age, many people are in college and losing money. The Griswold.... probably not though. Unless your parents buy it for you.

Im 22, just graduated from MSU and I work at Campbell Ewald offices in The RenCen so I commute there daily. My parents would be paying for anywhere I live so I have a limit of 500K which can put you up pretty nice in Downtown. Any suggestions?

What I would do being a recent grad and finally on my own and independent would be to find a place within my price range given my salary, and ask the parents to put the 500k in the bank for you for your future. Thats just me though. Once im done with school and out on my own I wont be looking to my parents for anything.

If you wanna use that money towards city residence I would suggest waiting for the Broderick or 1001 Woodward.

Im 22, just graduated from MSU and I work at Campbell Ewald offices in The RenCen so I commute there daily. My parents would be paying for anywhere I live so I have a limit of 500K which can put you up pretty nice in Downtown. Any suggestions?

LOL, no kidding. Why complain about the lack of retail downtown when apparently this easy money could be invested in a small business or franchise.

I know, I'm lucky for most people in Michigan, but I'm from Oakand County so it's opposite of most of wayne. My parents say they want me out on my own so I thought, why not Downtown? I don't plan on spending all 500K on where I live, because I'm in need of a new car and a long awaited Vacation with friends. My mom is friends with Ashley Fitch, the grand daughter of one of the founders who started Abercrombie and Fitch. She's in town and we have a dinner planned friday and I'm going to try and convince her downtown is a good place for a store.

500K graduation presents are not normal for most of Oakland County too. :)

Why not an Abercrombie downtown? When your sheltered from reality almost anything is possible.

Well now, due to MGM, you can shop coveted names in retail like Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Christian Lacroix, and Rolex starting Oct 2nd .... (Well that is if we don't have a state shutdown.)

Some Detroiters already do shop those coveted names ^

In all seriousness though. A&F locate in areas that receive high volumes of commercial traffic. Downtown isn't one of them. Even on gamedays, the total number of pedestrians on 4 blocks of Woodward doesn't come close to the number of people walking around one of the suburban malls. So if the region (tourist traffic) can't support it, the city's residents experiencing the woes of economic crisis sure won't either.

Some Detroiters already do shop those coveted names ^

In all seriousness though. A&F locate in areas that receive high volumes of commercial traffic. Downtown isn't one of them. Even on gamedays, the total number of pedestrians on 4 blocks of Woodward doesn't come close to the number of people walking around one of the suburban malls. So if the region (tourist traffic) can't support it, the city's residents experiencing the woes of economic crisis sure won't either.

I am so ashamed. I signed up for a Macey's card this weekend when I bought a suit. :( I told myself I would never do that...hypocrite me.

I got a killer suit on sale though...that's evil talking, by the way.

If Macey's opens downtown like a rumored department store is suppose to, then I will reconcile those negative thoughts. :)

I am so ashamed. I signed up for a Macey's card this weekend when I bought a suit. :( I told myself I would never do that...hypocrite me.

I got a killer suit on sale though...that's evil talking, by the way.

If Macey's opens downtown like a rumored department store is suppose to, then I will reconcile those negative thoughts. :)