Downtown Detroit Shopping

TheDetroitCity99

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, so as soon as a big name department store opens Downtown I'll move down there. As soon as that happens others will follow. That would start the fast pace process. I know the city is back up and running and all, but it's just like a suburb with tall buildings. Not alot shops,everything closes at nine and there are very few people on the streets except for beggers.

ok, so as soon as a big name department store opens Downtown I'll move down there. As soon as that happens others will follow. That would start the fast pace process. I know the city is back up and running and all, but it's just like a suburb with tall buildings. Not alot shops,everything closes at nine and there are very few people on the streets except for beggers.

TheDetroitCity99, you obviously aren't a Detroit kind of guy then. This is the way Detroit has been for years and I am sure a department is in downtown's future, whether it is sooner or later, I don't know. With all of the scattered redevelopments going on Downtown, there wont be any areas that will be dead in say 10 years.

it's just like a suburb with tall buildings.

And btw, you have been a total hypochrite. You said you that the suburban-type FBI campus is a good thing and now you are saying that Detroit is "A SUBURB." Well it is people like you, who support suburban-type developments that make Detroit closer and closer to a Southfield or a Troy every year.

And btw, you have been a total hypochrite. You said you that the suburban-type FBI campus is a good thing and now you are saying that Detroit is "A SUBURB." Well it is people like you, who support suburban-type developments that make Detroit closer and closer to a Southfield or a Troy every year.

I guess having my own opinion is being a hypochrite. You can't always be for what's happening or what isn't.

Nothing wrong with having your own oppinions. Problem is you just dont know what your talking about. Based on your questions and views on Detroit I thought you were a high-schooler who had been to the city a few times. I was really suprised to learn you were a college grad looking to live in the city, well until you found out there were no malls that is. People are giving you a hard time because what you say half the time doesnt apply to Detroit and you start threads with "We NEED some more shops downtown!!". I encourage you to learn as much as you can about the city, it just gets old when threads are started proclaiming we need more retail or you ask forumers what you should do with your parents money.

It is an issue but you didnt address it as such. Other people mentioned reasons for why we dont have a ton of retail downtown while you just made the proclamation that we need it, and the Ren Cen doesnt do it for you. Then it turned into a what to do with Daddy's money conversation and how you were gonna convince Fitch to open up an Abercrombie downtown. None of it is in touch with reality.

It's alright, DetCity. Detroit is a huge, complex machine that is hard to figure out, but what's cool is that there ARE some things that are easy to understand.

The first being that age old question about "what comes first, the chicken or the egg? The retail or the people?" It's a valid question, however, most economies (and I say this totally as a non-expert) will not be able to support retail (SUPPLY side) without the geographic market (DEMAND side) surrounding it. So, therefore you are correct in saying that once downtown gets retail, more and more people will be attracted to actually living there either as a renter or a purchaser of property.

The contradiction that everyone's pointing out, however, is that you're relying on other people to be that "market demand" who, over time, will eventually create enough demand for a department store to open up...at which time, you (an avid supporter of the city in its current state) will follow everyone else's lead, rather than be a part of the current demand for more retail, even though it isn't there at this time. To offer an extreme thought, the day that that level of demand hits may never come because the people w/ the disposable income living nearby aren't there either. What if tomorrow, 100,000 new people w/ incomes over $45,000 demanded to live downtown? Would you follow suit, or only if the amenities you demanded are there first? These are just hypothetical questions that you don't have to answer. :)

Archived