Rosa Parks Circle

joeDowntown

Something that I have thought about in the past but popped out to me yesterday was the concept of fiber optic lighting of the constellations on the "floor" of Rosa Parks Circle. I see that the lighting is embedded in the concrete, the sign about the park discusses it as one of its main features but I have never seen it personally and I have never seen a photograph.

When they were building the new park I thought this was one of the coolest features. What happened?

Joe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been there at night and seen the lights...they are also visible through the ice. You can't see them during the day.

I can't confirm they're working now, it was some time ago when I saw them first hand...but it was a functional part of the design at one point.

I've been there at night and seen the lights...they are also visible through the ice. You can't see them during the day.

I can't confirm they're working now, it was some time ago when I saw them first hand...but it was a functional part of the design at one point.

I saw them on last year, but lately when I've been downtown at night they haven't been on. Do they shut them off at a certain time of night? Last I was there at night was 2:20AM or so, just before The Dog Pit closed. They were packed with a line up to the door, as they are every time I'm there late on a Saturday Night. (Some of the other businesses should really consider staying open later!) But I didn't notise any lights on in the circle at all.

I saw them on last year, but lately when I've been downtown at night they haven't been on. Do they shut them off at a certain time of night? Last I was there at night was 2:20AM or so, just before The Dog Pit closed. They were packed with a line up to the door, as they are every time I'm there late on a Saturday Night. (Some of the other businesses should really consider staying open later!) But I didn't notise any lights on in the circle at all.

I was downtown Saturday night, too, around 10:00. There were people having an impromptu jam sesson and dance. Very cool. And the fiber optic lights were definitely on.

It also was the first time I saw the art museum in person. I admit that I love how it's sited to fit the plaza. Surprised myself with my reaction to it, to be honest, but it really is impressive to stand in Ecliptic and look at the GRAM.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived