Any new stores comming to Little Rock?

With all the so called development that is happening in Little Rock, has anyone heard of any new stores that might make an apperance in Little Rock? How about a Macys or Nordstorms? Any new chain stores that might come in. I guess Dillards as kept a prety tight lock on the Little Rock market. It just seems like every time something new is built, it just has old stores(while some are very good) that just relocate. theres no point in all these new shopping centers if nothing new is coming into the Little Rock market. Anyone with any Insight?

If you could pick some new stores to locate in Little Rock, what would they be?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you're serious. I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I do prefer them to Windows products. I'm using a Mac Pro.

I didn't think they'd come here. I actually was reading about possible upcoming stores less than a week ago, and I didn't see anything.

I've been wearing my conservation / anti-consumerism hat the last couple of weeks. Last week, I went to SLC. I got to see the implosion of the Key Bank building from my hotel room window. Developers and the Mormon Church are making way for a $2 billion dollar redevelopment in downtown SLC. This is the result of competition spawned by the new Gateway development a few blocks away.

I walked the Gateway. There is a very large Dicks Sporting Goods (Lewis and Clark meets Academy Sports). There was nothing particularly unique about the tenant selection. The uniques comes for the fact that it is truly mixed use. The entire Gateway seems to be connected to apartments and condos. I go the sense that if you lived in one of those you were pretty well set for amenities. Not sure where the nearest grocery store is, but the Trax (light rail) stops at the Gateway.

I think it is nice for Little Rock to "keep up with the Jones" in terms of retail offering. But, I tend to think the execution in this market is below average quality. This is mostly because 1) the developments aren't truly mixed use (only glorified strip malls) 2) New development suck resources and tenants from other areas and create dead zones (check out Bowman Curve). Granted it is nice for a visitor, who may be considering Little Rock as a place to live, can see that the popular chain stores and restaurants are here. I don't think these business do much to forward progress in our City.

Little Rock needs more economic development along the lines of Welspun, the Windmill Blades factory, and Dassoult (sp?). We need more and better paying jobs here.

I've been wearing my conservation / anti-consumerism hat the last couple of weeks. Last week, I went to SLC. I got to see the implosion of the Key Bank building from my hotel room window. Developers and the Mormon Church are making way for a $2 billion dollar redevelopment in downtown SLC. This is the result of competition spawned by the new Gateway development a few blocks away.

I walked the Gateway. There is a very large Dicks Sporting Goods (Lewis and Clark meets Academy Sports). There was nothing particularly unique about the tenant selection. The uniques comes for the fact that it is truly mixed use. The entire Gateway seems to be connected to apartments and condos. I go the sense that if you lived in one of those you were pretty well set for amenities. Not sure where the nearest grocery store is, but the Trax (light rail) stops at the Gateway.

I think it is nice for Little Rock to "keep up with the Jones" in terms of retail offering. But, I tend to think the execution in this market is below average quality. This is mostly because 1) the developments aren't truly mixed use (only glorified strip malls) 2) New development suck resources and tenants from other areas and create dead zones (check out Bowman Curve). Granted it is nice for a visitor, who may be considering Little Rock as a place to live, can see that the popular chain stores and restaurants are here. I don't think these business do much to forward progress in our City.

Little Rock needs more economic development along the lines of Welspun, the Windmill Blades factory, and Dassoult (sp?). We need more and better paying jobs here.

You are spot on my friend. My thoughts on your two points:

First, while Little Rock has a sizable high-end demographic, the "market" (i.e. citizens) doesn't demand anything above average, so the developers have no incentive whatsoever to provide more than the minimum acceptable level of design. We can only blame ourselves - we want to THINK we're sophisticated, but in general we are not. I'm greatly disappointed with the general apathy toward a common expectation of quality work - and this pervades not just retail, but residential (particularly...ugh) and even public/civic projects (save for CALS - the libraries are quite exceptional don't you think?). I've been to many smaller markets that actually exhibit better work all around...I'm just shocked that Little Rock demands so little...

Second, the fact that new construction "displaces" existing development is just a sign of non-sustainable development - you carry that exercise to the end and it will bankrupt the city. If Little Rock were the focus of the metro's growth (or even participated in it as an average), at least new development would be justified as meeting demands of a larger market (which is why the development in NWA is at least validated on the most fundamental level). As it is, the growth of the market is on the fringe (Benton, Bryant, Cabot, Maumelle, Conway) where even LOWER quality work is promoted and accepted.

Its a vicious cycle. There are signs that Little Rock is actually growing (counter to many similar markets in the south) AND I think the relatively high-quality development downtown can and will slowly pervade our collective consciousness about expecting something above average, and recognizing the value in that. Let's hope anyway.

You are spot on my friend. My thoughts on your two points:

First, while Little Rock has a sizable high-end demographic, the "market" (i.e. citizens) doesn't demand anything above average, so the developers have no incentive whatsoever to provide more than the minimum acceptable level of design. We can only blame ourselves - we want to THINK we're sophisticated, but in general we are not. I'm greatly disappointed with the general apathy toward a common expectation of quality work - and this pervades not just retail, but residential (particularly...ugh) and even public/civic projects (save for CALS - the libraries are quite exceptional don't you think?). I've been to many smaller markets that actually exhibit better work all around...I'm just shocked that Little Rock demands so little...

Second, the fact that new construction "displaces" existing development is just a sign of non-sustainable development - you carry that exercise to the end and it will bankrupt the city. If Little Rock were the focus of the metro's growth (or even participated in it as an average), at least new development would be justified as meeting demands of a larger market (which is why the development in NWA is at least validated on the most fundamental level). As it is, the growth of the market is on the fringe (Benton, Bryant, Cabot, Maumelle, Conway) where even LOWER quality work is promoted and accepted.

Its a vicious cycle. There are signs that Little Rock is actually growing (counter to many similar markets in the south) AND I think the relatively high-quality development downtown can and will slowly pervade our collective consciousness about expecting something above average, and recognizing the value in that. Let's hope anyway.

You are right. I'm amazed at the lack of foresight by our developers.

I keep wondering about Shackleford Crossing. Everything I've seen so far has made me believe it will be cheap, generic, and overall offer little we don't already have. There was potential there that was just wasted. I'd almost let Simon go back and have another shot at it if I could.

Archived