The Future

bigboyz05

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll just go jump in the Dalorian, gun it to 88, and report back to you guys (Back to the Future reference). :lol:

Hope you're right Mason's Dad, sounds nice.

I have to say, you're one of the more "believe when I see it" type posters on the board, therefore your population estimates surprised me a little.

I agree with Masons Dad on this. In addition, the following:

* University of Arkansas grows to 30,000 students due to the national recognition of the U of A (compared to 17,000 right now)

* NWACC becomes a big 4 year University in Bentonville.

* Western Bypass is created, along with 412 bypass and Bella Vista Bypass finished.

* XNA becomes a huge hub for American Airlines with Daily Flights to all major metropolitan areas.

* In 20+ years it may be possible for a pro team of some sort in the area.

I agree with Masons Dad on this. In addition, the following:

* University of Arkansas grows to 30,000 students due to the national recognition of the U of A (compared to 17,000 right now)

* NWACC becomes a big 4 year University in Bentonville.

* Western Bypass is created, along with 412 bypass and Bella Vista Bypass finished.

* XNA becomes a huge hub for American Airlines with Daily Flights to all major metropolitan areas.

* In 20+ years it may be possible for a pro team of some sort in the area.

I have some ideas, although we're in pure guessing territory here, since none of us REALLY know (and if you do, I want to borrow whatever device you're using). I'm making these guesses with the assumption that the area will continue to grow, although I doubt at the current pace. If something bad happens and we fall flat on our face, all this would go out the window, of course.

5 years- Many of the current projects in the area will be recently completed, Rogers won't look like a disaster area along 540 as the mid-to-large scale construction currently out there will be finished up, as will needed highway improvements, and maybe along the way someone will plant some grass and trees to make it look better. Fayetteville will have a couple of it's larger condo projects complete, and maybe one of these planned mixed use developments will get off the ground and underway (not including that thing at the intersection of 540 and sixth, though it will be completed and hopefully looking nice by then). I don't think we'll have seen much realization of the Bellafont project yet, and I think that growth in the Gregg St. area and along 540 will have made a new dirt mess out there.

10 years- Large scale commerical and technological may finally be developing, or getting started, in Fayetteville, which will be developing a solid reputation as a progressive, "sustainable" city. If Bellafont never happens, I think a similar project may arise by this time, and be successful. Springdale will have become the population center, but still lack the cultural and arts attractions that I think Fayetteville will have solidly developed by now, or the shopping and entertainment of the Rogers/Bentonville area that will now also be established (thanks in no small part to the Art Museum and hopefully, aquarium). Rogers/Bentonville will have become more of a defined upscale community, but not in the intellectual and cultural way that Fayetteville will have maintained, but more likely in the "country club" style community. Nice houses, nice shopping, nice cars. I realize some think it's already there, but I mean more unified, and less districted, like it seems now. The area will have received more recognition, and will no longer be thought of as the place between Springfield and Fort Smith. There may be plans for a large-scale amusement/theme park by this point, but I wouldn't bet on it with the proximity to Branson. I would bet on a Zoo and larger non-University stadium being thought of, and potentially planned, by this point.

15 years- The cities will have merged more seamlessly, making the drive along 540 (by now, I-49) seem less like dotted towns in the country, and more like a continuous city. While this will add weight to our desire to be viewed as a real metro area by other cities, it will have made traffic on 540/49 much worse. Widening projects on 540/49 will be underway or planned, and a bypass or business loop will be considered for the eastern side of the metro. This may mesh well with the plans for US 412. At this point, mass transit will be seriously looked and and probably funded, if it hasn't already been started in some form by now. XNA will begin offering international flights, if they haven't already, and with new construction nearby and airport expansion, will become a true (albeit small) international airport. I realize there are other airports nearby and some find this unlikely, but I believe the business attention this area received will make it possible. Fayetteville will have finally done something with College Avenue, at least near downtown. Many of the older single story buildings may be replaced by multi (not sky scrapers, but perhaps small scale mixed use) buildings, and a more pedestrian friendly environment will exist in areas other than the central downtown stretch. Where one Bellafont style development was a possibility at the ten year mark, I believe more interest in height will have risen by this point as people realize there's no other stable way for Fayetteville to grow. Potentially a high rise residential building will be in the works at this point. The University of Arkansas will have probably grown to 25,000 students (I realize once again some find this unlikely. Let me assure you that the University has plans for this, and has the prospective student interest to make it a possibility, it will just take some time.) Also, a more solid east-west route will have developed through the metro with the widening and development of US 412 through the area. The cities will still be very linear, but the need for a more regular east west route will have been realized with the booming growth also being experienced in North Central Arkansas, which will most likely have 4 lane reaching Springdale by now.

20 years- See my 15 year thoughts and mature them. High rise development (concievably 15-20 stories) will have become a solid idea in Fayetteville, and be a goal, or necessity, for most new developments to be practical in the denser areas of the city. Fayetteville will have developed the most traditionally urban feel, while Rogers/Bentonville will have developed as a more solid business district feel. (Example: Atlanta. Downtown urban/entertainment/arts vs. the distinctly separate area of the high rise commercial and business area) Springdale will also have developed some interest in mid-to-high rise housing/apartments, as I believe it will remain the most industrial, and also the most populated. Tontitown will have also boomed for the same reason. Bella Vista will no longer just be a retirement community, but a more solid "suburb" of the metro area, although I doubt it will develop the same business and cultural independence that Fayetteville or Rogers/Bentonville will be able to acheive. Springdale won't achieve this either, but for different reasons more closely hinged to it's proximity with the other cities, and it's industrial core. The area will have a Zoo by now, and probably a decent sized non-University stadium/arena. I would venture a guess that the Zoo would be built to the west side of the metro if it's built closer to Fayetteville, or the east of the metro if it's in the Springdale or Rogers stretch. The stadium will be in Rogers or Springdale. Fayetteville will have a recognizable art gallery in the city, but the gallery in Bentonville will have grown to some reputation, and still be the focus for fine art in the area. Music and cultural entertainment will remain in the Dickson Street area of Fayetteville, but large scale music concerts may have moved to Rogers/Springdale, depending on where a new stadium/arena has been built.

And, since MasonsDad had some population guesses, I'll venture my own:

20 years:

These cities, and maybe a few small ones that will have developed their own importance (or some I'm forgetting), will be considered part of the metro area:

Fayetteville: 125,000

Springdale: 140,000

Rogers: 75,000

Bentonville:60,000

Bella Vista: 40,000

Tontitown: 10,000

Siloam Springs (now the focus of a more developed east west route): 30,000

West Fork: 10,000

Very interesting takes. I'm not sure what I'd predict, guess I'll have to think about it. I've been a little surprised at the Rogers population predictions. I guess I always thought it would keep up or possibly grow faster closing the gap with some of the other NWA cities. Springdale has been growing faster and still could pass up Fayetteville. But I also keep wondering if their haphazard growth is going to cause infrastructure problems in the future perhaps slowing down their growth a bit.

Very interesting takes. I'm not sure what I'd predict, guess I'll have to think about it. I've been a little surprised at the Rogers population predictions. I guess I always thought it would keep up or possibly grow faster closing the gap with some of the other NWA cities. Springdale has been growing faster and still could pass up Fayetteville. But I also keep wondering if their haphazard growth is going to cause infrastructure problems in the future perhaps slowing down their growth a bit.

Rogers isn't as large as Fayetteville or Springdale now, and I don't see it surpassing either in the long term. My prediction of 75,000 may be conservative, and I'd allow probably up to 95-100 on that, but I just don't think it'll grow population wise as well as the others. And no, I can't explain my reasoning.

These cities, and maybe a few small ones that will have developed their own importance (or some I'm forgetting), will be considered part of the metro area:

Fayetteville: 125,000

Springdale: 140,000

Rogers: 75,000

Bentonville:60,000

Bella Vista: 40,000

Tontitown: 10,000

Siloam Springs (now the focus of a more developed east west route): 30,000

West Fork: 10,000

I'll just go jump in the Dalorian, gun it to 88, and report back to you guys (Back to the Future reference). :lol:

Hope you're right Mason's Dad, sounds nice.

I have to say, you're one of the more "believe when I see it" type posters on the board, therefore your population estimates surprised me a little.

Within 5 years:

- A major series of tornados that are later attributed to global warming hits Northwest Arkansas, heavily damaging portions of the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville and Wal-Mart's HQ in Bentonville. Governor Steve Womack vows to rebuild "Bigger and Better than ever".

- The Pinnacle Hills Promenade, beset by continuing financial woes from the real estate bust in the region, is acquired by The Blackstone Group and is converted into the nation's largest discount outlet mall.

Within 10 years:

- Wal-Mart announces it has been acquired by China's largest retailer, the Dalian-based Dashang Group, and that it will move it's World HQ out of the USA to Shanghai, China. The U.S. operations will relocate from Northwest Arkansas to Los Angeles in order to improve the efficient flow of goods from Southeast Asia into the U.S.

Later that year, Cargill announces it has acquired Tyson Foods in a hostile take-over bid. Cargill makes no bones about consolidating the redundant corporate organization to Wayzata, Minnesota.

P.S. O.K., don't throw stones at me! I just thought we should have a balanced discussion for the fun of it!

I guess I'm more optimistic when it comes to "visions", but just don't ask me for a "prediction". :lol:

The question was: "How do you envision NWA in 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years from now?" So I just gave my "vision" of NWA in 20 years, and not necessarily a prediction.

As far as population "predictions" go I can't even fathom, but my population "vision" is based on chains of events occurring over the next 20 years of which some chains have already begun. The best examples of these "chains" are Fayetteville's sustainability initiatives, Wal-Mart's continued growth (moving into India), and Rogers' World Trade Center; just to name a few. As these events in NWA start unfolding and more chains take shape then growth will either continue at it's current rapid rate or even start speeding up. Infrastructure, or lack of, has always been a primary factor in predicting continued growth, but roads, utilities, services and schools are being added or expanded at an unprecedented rate in NWA and that's a very good sign that growth will not have any limits here.

My "vision" for NWA is very optimistic indeed... just don't ask me to make a prediction :P

In the next 20 years?

- Watch McDonald County, MO. Something big is going to be located there, IMO, given its now-complete bisection by an interstate/expressway quality 4-lane, and the upcoming bypass which will make the interstate portion complete. It's the last big "non-settled" frontier around Bentonville. Developers are supposedly "bombarding" the lower part of the county with requests, but are awaiting new water/sewer lines. The school system is a big issue as well, but little by little they're building new ones. It's pretty country up there. Someday that place is going to be "discovered".

- Watch I-49. Our friend itk assures us right now the funding's not there for FSM-Texarkana, and I read an article recently that said lower gas usage (due to more efficient fuels, etc.) means lower gas tax revenue for road-building. Fine. If we're serious about saving energy let's develop the final parts of the shortest route from Kansas City to the Gulf of Mexico, and from the upper midwest to Houston and Brownsville. LOTS of motor carriers will like it. An interstate that runs from Canada and dead-ends at Fort Smith (from the north) and from New Orleans to Ashdown, AR from the south makes no sense whatsoever. I'm banking on billionaire John "51" Hammons' prediction...this will be built someday, and it will be crucial to NWA's future.

- Watch the "2nd tier" counties...the ones not immediately adjacent to Benton County. If this metro gets to 750,000 or more (as I suspect it will) in 20 years some of these may start to join the NWA metro, i.e. "the 2 Newtons", Newton County, MO and Newton County, AR. (No hard evidence here, just an educated guess.)

- Don't watch for intra-metro commuters trains. I don't think those will happen. (I dearly hope I'm proven wrong.)

- Watch the commercial/residential interplay between NWA and Joplin, MO, and NWA and Fort Smith. Missourians are gushing about the new quick access they finally have to NWA, while there has been a long relationship between the latter two. I doubt they ever fully grow together (though if two were I'd suspect Joplin-NWA would be the likelier candidates) but each is a lot more accessible to NWA than say, Little Rock is to Memphis (or NWA or even Fort Smith), or Springfield, MO is to St. Louis.

- Watch the diagonal corridor between Bentonville, XNA and Siloam Springs - it will be significant. In between will be a lot of hand-wringing about the transportation infrastructure.

- Watch for a big a big, nice arena in Benton County during that time.

- Crystal Bridges will NOT be the only nice cultural amenity in the area.

Our student population should be about 25,000 in 20 years I would think or hope. Probably could be 30,000. That will effectively nearly add at least 33% more employees to our facilities here.

I really do hope we can become a hub of sustainability practices. I think that would be the right thing to do anyways. Even if we don't have a substantial sustainability center I hope we're much more efficient of using the earth's resources basically because it is a necessity now as our populations grow.

Rogers isn't as large as Fayetteville or Springdale now, and I don't see it surpassing either in the long term. My prediction of 75,000 may be conservative, and I'd allow probably up to 95-100 on that, but I just don't think it'll grow population wise as well as the others. And no, I can't explain my reasoning.

Within 5 years:

- A major series of tornados that are later attributed to global warming hits Northwest Arkansas, heavily damaging portions of the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville and Wal-Mart's HQ in Bentonville. Governor Steve Womack vows to rebuild "Bigger and Better than ever".

Stormchsr,

I'm actually quite uneasy about this.

Part of the storm system from the May 3(?), 1999 tornadoes (including the near F6 one that had 300+ mph winds that devastated parts of Oklahoma City) came right over Bentonville. We weren't here yet but our neighbor saw it and said how scary the clouds were. And with all the slab homes with no basements around here... :scared:

We've been blessed in that the last two tornadoes here hit early morning and at night...not during the traditional 5:00pm-6:00pm hour with maximum heating and rush hour traffic along Centerton Blvd. Some day that may change...hope it never happens but given our geographic location not that far west of the south central KS/north central OK "Tornado alley" it's a possibility.

I remember the May 3rd tornado quite will, I was actually less than a mile from it. I worked in South OKC and brought my video camera to work with me and filmed it as it moved just south of us. Very impressive but extremely scary. If it had stayed on the course they were predicting it would have hit us head on. I could not leave and get out of the way because of the softball sized hail.

Tornados can happend anywhere but I was joking about one hitting our area. They are going to happen in our area again we just have to live with it and pay attention. That is how most people die in tornadoes, they don't pay any attention to what is going on and they don't take any precautions. If they would just turn on the tv or look outside it might save their life.

Archived